inTank Media Baskets

Duncan "shedding"

uwharrie

Has anyone had a Duncan just spontaneously loose a head? Was doing great, in the tank for months and just now I noticed one head floating around the tank. Looked healthy so I quickly glued it down ( hope that was the right thing to do)

Is that a way they spread?

Never had it happen.

That's not how they spread, they grow new heads.

With euphyllia, when they drop their heads, it's a last ditch to survival. It may be the same with Duncan's.

No dosing. Using Red Sea blue bucket. 5 gal water changes weekly Cant figure out why my alk is up ( had an issue when I was using black bucket) maybe just switch to IO? raising salinity should not be hard I will just top off with Salt water.

Getting my salinity under control with water changes.  Not a clue what to do about Alk. I had an issue with it when I was using Red Sea and switched to the lower values bucket. Not sure what to do to get it down again ( and keep it down)

4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

What is your alk mixing at with the new salt

i was going to say this too. 

check your salt mix, you may have gotten a weird batch that is mixing high.

i would suspect alk issues causing the duncan issues.  mine (and most LPS in general) react negatively when my alk isn't staying where it should.  large fluctuations could definitely cause stress enough to make them do something like drop a head.

• Like 1

Salinity- 1.21

Dkh 12 ( safrit)

Cal- 440

What the heck? What are you testing your salinity with? Something seems wrong here... low salinity... high parameters with a salt that should mix to lower parameters.

yeah something is up with these params.  

even with the RSCP/black bucket i don't think you would read 12 dkh in your tank at a salinity of 1.21 unless you were dosing something 

either way, we need some more details to help or you should get your params verified by a LFS

oh i believe you aren't dosing, i just don't understand the fact that the alk is so high without it.  a test on freshly mixed salt will help, it has to be that then. 

have you calibrated your refractometer with calibration solution lately?

no GFO will not affect salinity

I have not calibrated my refractormeter lately, Need to get solution and see if that is is. But if so then my Salinity will now be WAY high ) since I have gotten it to 1.25 over the last couple of days

side note:  i calibrate my refractometer with solution every time i do a water change, or anytime it shows that my salinity is off i do to make sure it's actually off before correcting.

sometimes the refractometer will stay spot on for weeks, other times it can be way off a day after i calibrate it.  i never understood why it varies so much but i learned i need to calibrate it often!

10 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

side note:  i calibrate my refractometer with solution every time i do a water change, or anytime it shows that my salinity is off i do to make sure it's actually off before correcting.

sometimes the refractometer will stay spot on for weeks, other times it can be way off a day after i calibrate it.  i never understood why it varies so much but i learned i need to calibrate it often!

thanks! I don't have calibration fluid handy. Can I use RODI water?

10 hours ago, Kitkat67 said:

Pics?

of the tank or the Duncan?

OK just checked the refractometer with RODI water. it was only slightly off ( and that was reg higher not lower)

Checked Salinity this am and it was 1.23

I am lost.  I had a high Alk problem last year but decided it was the RSpro salt mix. I did not have corals that needed it

tank has a few LSP but mostly Zoas and mushrooms

3 hours ago, Kitkat67 said:

The wayward duncan head

I tried to glue it ( didn't work) tried stuffing it in a crag ( didn't work) I cant find it now but am guessing it is under a rock somewhere

14 minutes ago, discchord said:

Did you test the alk on your salt mix yet? Maybe your batch is way out of spec. 

Got a batch mixing right now. will get salinity to proper amount and test ALK

Just tested the mix. Salinity 1.25 ( calibrated with RODI water) ALK Hanna checker 10.6 YIKES

Any way I can save the salt mix? Damn stuff is pricey

Or just give it to some one who needs higher Alk and get some IO mix