SaltCritters.com

Custom mixed frozen food

Odyssey350kc

I was wondering if anyone ever mixed their own frozen food. I was thinking about what a pain it is for me to chop cubes in half trying to get just the right amount of mysis shrimp.And the idea came to me why not thaw it out and pour it into a smaller mini ice cube tray, then immediately thought why not mix other frozen foods together to make an all in one cube with cyclops, mysis, algae, and coral food that could be fed once a day with everything i wanted in one convenient cube.

• Like 1

The problem is where are you going to get tiny trays? I've made my own custom blends before. However, I've always just frozen them in ziplock bags.

Honestly, for the amount of time, effort and money I put in. It's just better to buy several different types of commercial frozen foods. I had to buy spirulina, a natural based pectin type stuff (I don't remember if it was derived from bone, or algae), other seafoods I couldn't culture myself, etc. it wasn't cheap. I got more food than I could ever use, so cost per serving was probably super cheap. However, I ended up throwing it all away during one of my aquarium hiatuses.

Many make their own food with fresh seafood.

I wouldn't thaw frozen food and refreeze it.

You can buy mini ice cube trays.

Some ppl buy fresh seafood and make a blend of the seafood and ro/do water etc and then freeze it in the tray

m04APNJOmAYJpCPTCCIq_WA.jpg

8 hours ago, Odyssey350kc said:

And the idea came to me why not thaw it out and pour it into a smaller mini ice cube tray

That should work fine.  But whenever possible, you don't want to thaw and refreeze food.

I kind of agree with Ray.  There are some pretty good options available today:

17 hours ago, seabass said:

That should work fine.  But whenever possible, you don't want to thaw and refreeze food.

I kind of agree with Ray.  There are some pretty good options available today:

#namedrop time

Rod makes great food, and I'd recommend it to anyone. I know Rod, and I've seen what he puts in his food. Most of the ingredients are cultured by him.

• Like 1

You guys are right there with me. That is the exact ice cube tray I was gonna buy. Then I remembered hearing something about rods foods. After looking it up I realized that's exactly what I want without all the work. Haha