Top Shelf Aquatics

Need Help Cycling

NathanielZuniga

NathanielZuniga

I'm currently fishless cycling my 29 Biocube and yesterday I was at: 

Ammonia- 1.0 ppm 

Nitrite- 5.0 ppm

Nitrate- (around) 100 ppm 

I did a 50% water change and dosed my ammonia back to 4 ppm.

Just checked it today and my Amonia is at 0, Nitrite is at 0 but my Nitrates have gone down to somewhere between 40 and 80 ppm. I thought my tank was done cycling and I was ready to do one last 24 hour test and then a 90% water change, until I saw the nitrate. Did I do something wrong? Are these nitrates where they should be at this point? What should I do from here? Should I keep adding ammonia? To be honest, this is the first time I've cycled a tank with no help so I'm really only going off of what the internet says so frankly I'm a little oblivious to exactly what I'm supposed to do. Thank you!

When doing a fishless cycle (if I remember correctly), you should only does to 2 to 3 ppm of ammonia. 

Your Nitrates will be high after a fishless cycle. Only way to reduce these are water changes.

Once your tank can consistently turn 2ppm of Ammonia into Nitrates (no Nitrites or Ammonia left) in under 12 hours, I would say you are cycled. I waited until my tank could do 3ppm in 12 hours. Then do a very large water change to reduce Nitrates, and you are good to go. 

If your Ammonia or Nitrites go above 5ppm for any reason, do a water change. High Ammonia/Nitrites can stall a cycle.

• Like 1
NathanielZuniga
5 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

When doing a fishless cycle (if I remember correctly), you should only does to 2 to 3 ppm of ammonia. 

Your Nitrates will be high after a fishless cycle. Only way to reduce these are water changes.

Once your tank can consistently turn 2ppm of Ammonia into Nitrates (no Nitrites or Ammonia left) in under 12 hours, I would say you are cycled. I waited until my tank could do 3ppm in 12 hours. Then do a very large water change to reduce Nitrates, and you are good to go. 

If your Ammonia or Nitrites go above 5ppm for any reason, do a water change. High Ammonia/Nitrites can stall a cycle.

So right now if I dose my amonia up to 3 ppm and In 12 hours my ammonia is at 0 again, I can do my huge water change? Even if my Nitrates are around 40-80ppm? Should I wait and build up some more Nitrates? 

Just now, NathanielZuniga said:

So right now if I dose my amonia up to 3 ppm and I'm 12 hours my ammonia is at 0 again, I can do my water change? Even if my Nitrates are around 40-80ppm? 

As long as you mean Nitrates and not NITRITES. Nitrates are the end part of the cycle. The only way to get rid of Nitrates are to export them; like with a water change. It is natural to have Nitrates in the tank after a cycle. 

After 12 hours, you should have: 0 Ammonia & 0 NITRITES

The Ammonia will be turned in Nitrite, the Nitrite will turn into Nitrate. You will remove the Nitrate with a water change and be ready for fish. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SaltyBuddha said:

As long as you mean Nitrates and not NITRITES. Nitrates are the end part of the cycle. The only way to get rid of Nitrates are to export them; like with a water change. It is natural to have Nitrates in the tank after a cycle. 

After 12 hours, you should have: 0 Ammonia & 0 NITRITES

The Ammonia will be turned in Nitrite, the Nitrite will turn into Nitrate. You will remove the Nitrate with a water change and be ready for fish. 

+1 

You don't want ammonia higher than 4ppm. Once it gets to 5 + it takes longer to process.

Cycling:

Ammonia rises, processes 

Nitrites rise and process 

Then you have nitrates. These are only reduced by removal.

Once ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and stay at 0 a waterchange is done. The size of the water change is dependent on the qty of nitrates.

50% waterchange reduces nitrates by 50%

You don't want to increase your nitrates.