SaltCritters.com

Cavscout263 20 tank journal.

Cavscout263

Hi there Nano-Reefers! My name is Chris or by my ha fle on here cavscout263. So I am starting up a journal to share everything that I can about my new reef tank.

this is my first reef tank so I have lots to learn still and lots to improve on. But so far I think that I am doing a good job. This forum and a lot of other resources have helped me with the start up and tuning of things. 

So onto the details. I guess we will talk about what all I have for equipment wise. I will just list them off. A majority of stuff i went the cheap way except on a few things. 

20 gallon long tank from petco

marine land penguin 150 

cheap thermometer 

glass cleaner

carib sea 20lbs of Hawaiian live sand

dry rock 

2 power heads (will get brand and size later)

fluval swing arm salinity

aquamaxx HOB protein skimmer

hydra 26 hd with bendable arm

fritz 21 gal salt water at 1.25 salinity 

I guess I will talk about how the setup went. There was great triumph and then a few mistakes haha. 

So I gathered all supplies from petco and a few other aquarium stores. And a few items came via online orders. 

I set up everything that I wanted and aquascaped it to my liking. Filled it with water and had my penguin bio wheel going and one powerhead cause that's all I had at that point. I proceeded to add what I thought was Biospira but in fact it was reef accelerator!!! I was freaking out until I got on here and asked and I was assured it would still cycle properly and that I just needed to do a 100% water change after cycle was complete. Next day I added the biospira and threw in some fish food and let it do its thing for over a month. I tested two times a week and I noticed all the different results and eventually everything got really low except my calcium( because reef accelerator) was off the charts. I did my 100% water change and everything was good to go. I finally got my protein skimmer and hydra 26 in so I installed them and got them running. 

I should state that this technically my s cons tank because before that I had a 3 gallon tank with one ocellaris clown fish and a few frags. 

So I went out and got a somewhat big black clown fish that will be a female soon since the ocellaris is so small. I also have 4 generic snales that cleans the tank up. 

So for the list of live stock

frag of yellow dragon zoa 

frag of green torch coral

frag of green duncan

frag of a polyp( not sure the name) green center with pink tips 

1 ocellaris clown fish(puppy)

1 black clownfish (Persephone) 

4 snails. 

I plan to go get a shrimp of some sort and a gobbie to clean the substrate and whatever else they want to Clean. 

IMG_2258.PNG

So here is an update to the tank journal!

so I finally just stepped up and bought an innovative Marin Nuevo fusion 20 gallon tank.

i still have the same heater, protein skimmer.

i moved my sand and rock all fish and corals over. 

Inhave added a tunze 350 ATO

i have a media reactor on the way that I plan to run biopellets in it.

i have added some livestock.

1 green montipora capricornis

1 frog spawn

1 yellow watchman gobbie

1 red pistol shrimp

5 hermit crabs

I am dosing seachem prime because a nitrite and nitrate spike.

and the brightwell aquactics growth pack of code a and b with magnesium and strontium.

and microbacter7 to improve water quality. 

I will be also feeding using polybooster for the corals. 

Mycis shrimp for fish and Other sweeper tentacle corals.

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG