Cultivated Reef

New Evo 13.5

jazzmik

Decided to start up a nano tank and since Petco had a sale + 30.00 off picked up the Evo 13.5.

Found this stand at Ikea this weekend. Still not 100% sure it will support the weight when water goes in. I may have to add some 2 x 4 for support.
http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/80300660/

Equipment so far:

- inTank baskets for chamber 1 and 2

*not sure about how the flow will be in chamber 2 since chamber one they put 3 openings in the side more towards middle also those slots don't line up perfectly with the Evo slots meaning even less flow to chamber 2. A little disappointed in that seeing as that one cost 60+

- Jebao SW2 

- Couple bags of Siporax

- Purigen

- BRS High Capacity GFO and Rox 0.8 bag (instead of the buying bags of ChemiPure... I have the stuff already for my main tank Red Sea Reefer 450)

Have to pick up a new heater and plan on getting the AI Prime HD for lighting.

Will post more as the build moves along.

evo_stand.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
7 minutes ago, cju84 said:

Welcome to NR!  Great little setup and I really like the rockscape!

What are your stocking plans?

Thanks!

Honestly not sure about stocking plans yet. Will definitely have some SPS but I think primarily will go LPS. I have a few frags from other tank (see below) that I'll bring in.

Fish wise... I have no idea. Options are limited. The wife mentioned seahorse's, so that's an option.

450display.jpg

450sump.jpg

• Like 1

Great looking larger tank and sump.  Very clean!

Definitely post progress pics on the new 13.5!  I've never seen anyone on this forum with seahorses (I'm sure there are some) so that'd be cool.  Heard they are not easy to care for and may require a larger tank but I'm sure under the right conditions/reefer it can be done :)

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!  These are very nice little tanks.  I'm fairly certain this tank is too small for seahorses but am not an expert.  I believe they also don't do well with most corals.  @vlangel has ponies so perhaps she can chime in. :)

47 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!  These are very nice little tanks.  I'm fairly certain this tank is too small for seahorses but am not an expert.  I believe they also don't do well with most corals.  @vlangel has ponies so perhaps she can chime in. :)

Thank you!

Yeah the seahorses... Not my idea ;)

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, cju84 said:

What are your stocking plans?

By the way... any recommendations for fish stocking?

Was looking at Yasha White Ray Shrimp Goby paired with pistol shrimp or the Prawn Goby and maybe a firefish or something along those lines.

Man... I'm too impulsive. It truly is a sickness!! :D 

So, I decided to switch it up a bit. Returning the EVO and instead picked up an IM Fusion 20.
Wanted a little more space and also prefer the sump area in back based on how I have it placed.

Ordered last night so should get here next week. I'll have everything in place to get the build going pretty quick though. May re-inforce the stand a bit just to be on the safe side. 

Will post some pics when it comes in or probably start a new build thread.

• Wow 1