inTank Media Baskets

Anemone rescue.

Scorchx1245

One of my co workers has a 29 gallon saltwater with ok lighting, looked to be homemade leds but it neglected, algea everywhere, direct sunlight water temp 74 and nitrate at 160 he is trashing the aquarium and basically going to a freshwater tank because he can't keep up. Salinity was at 1.029....he never topped off and hasn't done a water change on months he said..... coral was just shy of being ghost white, bleached and growing algea and broken his son bought an anem for the tank a month ago being a 12 year old. So not wanting him to flush everything if he couldnt find a home me thinking there wasn't much time left, i took his maroon clown and anem. I quickly found a home for the maroon clown at my LFS theyre gonna keep it for their frag tank and got store credit...hes seen better days though....poor guy. So to the anem, the lfs wouldn't take it said they're scared of it bombing their tanks. So I put it in my 12g aquapod yesterday, and it moved a bit and settled down. I have no clue how to care for it, I have a possible home in my buddies 400 gallon but he doesn't want it cause of the same reason....my tank is 3 months old ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, salinity 1.024. Use only RODI water, etc running 32 watt cfl's, one actinic and one 10,000k white. I want to bring back to ok health and move it. But don't want to nuke my tank. Any suggestions? BTW it's a RBTA. Pictures attached.

20170924_091914.jpg

2 minutes ago, Scorchx1245 said:

One of my co workers has a 29 gallon saltwater with ok lighting, looked to be homemade leds but it neglected, algea everywhere, direct sunlight water temp 74 and nitrate at 160 he is trashing the aquarium and basically going to a freshwater tank because he can't keep up. Salinity was at 1.029....he never topped off and hasn't done a water change on months he said..... coral was just shy of being ghost white, bleached and growing algea and broken his son bought an anem for the tank a month ago being a 12 year old. So not wanting him to flush everything if he couldnt find a home me thinking there wasn't much time left, i took his maroon clown and anem. I quickly found a home for the maroon clown at my LFS theyre gonna keep it for their frag tank and got store credit...hes seen better days though....poor guy. So to the anem, the lfs wouldn't take it said they're scared of it bombing their tanks. So I put it in my 12g aquapod yesterday, and it moved a bit and settled down. I have no clue how to care for it, I have a possible home in my buddies 400 gallon but he doesn't want it cause of the same reason....my tank is 3 months old ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, salinity 1.024. Use only RODI water, etc running 32 watt held, one actinic and one 10,000k white. I want to bring back to ok health and move it. But don't want to nuke my tank. Any suggestions? BTW it's a RBTA. Pictures attached.

20170924_091914.jpg

Be careful.  Your tank isn't mature enough for a BTA.  Hopefully it makes it through. fingerscrossed

Just now, WV Reefer said:

Be careful.  Your tank isn't mature enough for a BTA.  Hopefully it makes it through. fingerscrossed

I will, I'm scared to death I know nothing is correct, but it's better to try then flush the poor guy but will if I see the warning signs. I'm keeping an eye on it daily and my gf is too, she's telling me to flush it.

• Like 1

They don't nuke tanks unless they get caught in a powerhead  or something. They are an animal so you do want to get it out if it dies.  Your parameters are good. Lights sound okay.  Just let it get acclimated before you try to feed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Soooooo thought I would update you guys. I have been doing so much research these past days, and the BTA seems to be doing better. Alot better. It got so much more color turned out nice rose color and opened up and ate some mysis shrimp. Picture from today. So I have a koralia nano, ran some foam over it. During my PWC I remove the foam and clean it out and then every couple days give or take 2 depending on flow. So during today's water change I took the foam off, got a call to the hospital (fiance's sister car accident) I work overnights, so wake her up etc I'm gone for 24 36 hours. So i think the unrestricted flow caused him to move.....to the power head....he wasn't stuck in it but climbed my thermometer and got a really close hair cut. He shriveled up and was attached to the magnet, tentacles some still attached. Foot looks good, can't see mouth. See pictures. Hes in a breeder for safe being.Screenshot_20170930-052344.thumb.png.658ec8dcb96c4112e36a9a43d38f6c64.png

Screenshot_20170930-053206.png

Screenshot_20170930-053158.png

I'm currently cycling 40lbs of live rock in my 40g. I have 2 t5s over it for now from freshwater(wrong lights I know) but I'm converting it from freshwater to saltwater....no sump yet but has pre drilled bulkheads. I'm hoping to keep him to transfer it to the 40 on 6 months time....now if he makes it should i donate him to the LFS or could I keep him then swap the rock he's on to the 40 when it's complete? What can I do to help this poor guys 2 months from he'll? Will he survive?

Geez, I hope I didn't jinx you with my comment  about powerheads :(

That is something he can definitely recover from. You just need to watch out for bacterial infection. Those tentacles should grow back.

Honestly the anemone looks to be in good shape to me. If I showed you how bad mine looks right now you'd think yours is first class. Silversides are you best friend for anemone feeding. Just feed it a piece no longer than a tentacle about once every two weeks. Lighting provides most of its nutrients and strong water flow is good for anemones as well.

• Like 1

Went to Wal-Mart grabbed a battery back up air pump, got my boat battery and inverter running a pump, and wrapped the tank I'm blanket ambient air temp is down to 66, it's 49 outside....water temp at 75 right now.

Hope you get power back soon, I lose power sometimes in winter from snowstorms. Had the tank get to 68 once, only lost a bangaii cardinal, all other fish, shrimp, corals, clams, nems survived. Critters do handle cold better than high temps but ofc only to a certain point.

Sleeping bags are useful to wrap around but you have to keep yourself warm too!

So power came on o was staying up late catching up on work. Anem has shrank so small now....still firmly planted. Hoping for the best. Temp got down to 70 degrees....back to 74 now.

So he has finally found a good foot and is planted for the past 2 days!!! And is looking great! Just after my water change and the foam filter for the ph is soaking to clean it up to help with flow. I'm trying every day now to keep it clean so the flow remain constant to keep him from moving. I recently started a GFO reactor to help with bryopsis.

20171004_182500.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Scorchx1245 said:

Is he stuck? He hasn't moved in 2 weeks....? He's in a hole in the rock. He literally just ate some mysis shrimp reason why he is hunched up.

20171024_174223.jpg

BTAs like to have their foot inside of a hole so it can't become damaged and it is good that is not moving, that means it is comfortable where it is. Silversides make for a better food than mysis though (for anemones).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, CronicReefer said:

BTAs like to have their foot inside of a hole so it can't become damaged and it is good that is not moving, that means it is comfortable where it is. Silversides make for a better food than mysis though (for anemones).

I swap mysis and silversides, trying to convince my clowns by some mysis shrimp and the anem. Thanks for input!!! And glad he's happy.

5 hours ago, Scorchx1245 said:

I swap mysis and silversides, trying to convince my clowns by some mysis shrimp and the anem. Thanks for input!!! And glad he's happy.

Just be aware your species of clownfish does not host BTAs naturally so they may never host your BTA.

• Thanks 1

good job on the save, i recently did the same thing with a bleached out condy(i like the purple, and yes i know its a horrid anemone) from my lfs. took about 3 weeks on led lights to get him back to normal, am acclimating to 150w mh this week. if he starts decline again, soak some food in garlic oil for about 5 mins then feed it, does wonders for the immune system. 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2017 at 11:46 PM, CronicReefer said:

Just be aware your species of clownfish does not host BTAs naturally so they may never host your BTA.

One down lol !!

Screenshot_20171108-205624.png

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 12:07 AM, Scorchx1245 said:

Yes I know I'm moving it into the 40 and adding maroon when it's mature. If they don't accept the anem then it's their choice.

Note: I'm assuming you'll keep this tank in addition to the 40, but in case you don't you probably shouldn't mix a maroon and your ocellaris in the 40b as a general statement.

Nice job on the anemone save. 

Not a maroon just a black occ.

9 hours ago, ajmckay said:

Note: I'm assuming you'll keep this tank in addition to the 40, but in case you don't you probably shouldn't mix a maroon and your ocellaris in the 40b as a general statement.

Nice job on the anemone save. 

20171023_112446.jpg