Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What Fish For a Nuvo 10

1967type1

2 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

care to point out exactly where someone SUGGESTED that 4 fish be put in this tank?

lol you're gonna fit right in here at nano-reef, saltynewcomer. :rolleyes:

A new person reading that "might" interpret that the wrong way.

IMO with such a small tank, it's not a great idea to test the boundaries on how many fish we can put in a system. It's about balance and health of our inhabitants. I see it all the time on "youtube" people putting way too may fish in their tanks (no matter what the size). Then wonder why they have issues. Just because a so called "expert" does it, doesn't mean we should all do it too. 

That's why I always advise people to beware of suggestions. Take what you hear with a grain of salt and do your research! It ultimately comes down to you and what path you want to take (the right one or the wrong one). Bioload is very important if you want success in this hobby unlike the poster VaperCounty stated; ("Bioload isn't the issue with fish"). That's just a very reckless and uneducated statement. 

My recommendation to people "who ask", is to never over stock. Alway's under stock your aquarium. You'll have much better success, and isn't that what's it all about (success)? Why shoot yourself in the foot! Those are the people who get out of the hobby and wonder what went wrong? KISS!!!!! A successful aquarium can be achieved with anyone, as long as you follow basic common sense principles. Look before you leap peeps!

2 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

1 hour ago, VaporCountry said:

Giving the advice of "A very very small one" is nothing but fear mongering.  

I call that "common sense". How can you even argue with my recommendations? My preference is to stay conservative and that's my advice. "Fear mongering" lol, OMG that's how you took it? WOW

This is a great topic, and hopefully it will make people think before they make a costly mistake.

2 minutes ago, saltaquareef said:

I call that "common sense". How can you even argue with my recommendations? My preference is to stay conservative and that's my advice. "Fear mongering" lol, OMG that's how you took it? WOW

This is a great topic, and hopefully it will make people think before they make a costly mistake.

Yea when your telling someone they can get one "very very tiny fish". Ever thought people may leave this hobby because they get bored with one tiny goby in 10g tank. The argument can go both ways

2 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

keep on melting saltynewb

I'm educating! That's all you have to say after what you posted? Who's back tracking now? lol 

Your argument is weak. Hopefully, one day you will learn something from this conversation. You may even thank me later. You can always PM me if your too embarrassed. Thanks for contributing your opinion, I have a feeling this information will help many reefers out there form there own opinions. The fate of your comments are in the hands of the reefing community. Your just exposing yourself and your lack of knowledge. 

5 minutes ago, VaporCountry said:

Yea when your telling someone they can get one "very very tiny fish". Ever thought people may leave this hobby because they get bored with one tiny goby in 10g tank. The argument can go both ways

Then get a bigger tank! Hello? It's a 10g saltwater aquarium. 

while you keep melting and acting like an expert, this all boils down to the fact that you so bluntly and matter of factly insisted that one very small fish is all that was acceptable in this tank.

i conversely added that MANY have two fish very successfully in this tank.  and even gave examples of great reefers having more.  what you don't seem to get is that no one straight up RECOMMENDED a new reefer go straight ahead and throw in 4 fish.  YES, do your research on choosing which fish.  YES, bioload is very important to success.  YES, you just like to argue and then say other people are the ones who can't handle others' opinions.

now you come off as argumentative for the sake of sounding "right" when clearly there is not one set way to approach this hobby.  oh well, not everyone can be helpful without sounding like entitled experts.

i don't think there is much left to say here but i'm sure you will post another 10 posts to prove you know it all, saltynewb

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, saltaquareef said:

I'm educating! That's all you have to say after what you posted? Who's back tracking now? lol 

Your argument is weak. Hopefully, one day you will learn something from this conversation. You may even thank me later. You can always PM me if your too embarrassed. Thanks for contributing your opinion, I have a feeling this information will help many reefers out there form there own opinions. The fate of your comments are in the hands of the reefing community. Your just exposing yourself and your lack of knowledge. 

LMFAOOO :lol::lol: 

Talking about 'are you mad bro?" hahahahaha sounds like you are. I'm just giving my opinion, I disagree with one thats all. If your expecting a PM keeping dreaming...........#StayMadBRO

• Haha 3

lol yeah, keep checking your PMs for a thank you, i'm typing one up now but it will probably take a while.  i'm simply too embarrassed.  

great way to introduce yourself into this forum, kid. 

:lol::lol::lol: 

OMG, can you read and comprehend "English". WOW

#geteducated

Keep posting, you're only exposing your lack of knowledge. Believe it or not you're helping the reefing community. 

35 minutes ago, saltaquareef said:

That's why I always advise people to beware of suggestions. Take what you hear with a grain of salt and do your research! It ultimately comes down to you and what path you want to take (the right one or the wrong one). Bioload is very important if you want success in this hobby unlike the poster VaperCounty stated; ("Bioload isn't the issue with fish"). That's just a very reckless and uneducated statement. 

You completely took what I said out of context and twisted it to be a general broad statement. Please reread

"Bioload isn't the issue with fish, we have equipment, media, and maintenance to deal with that. Should a newbie have a fully stocked tank, nope. As long as the fish are eating, healthy, and not fighting it can be done,"

If there's any pice of advice I can give to the community. Do your research and form your own conclusions. We all will make mistakes in this hobby. Beware of who you listen too, and take responsibility for your own decisions. This is not a cheap hobby, nobody should just jump right into it without a solid basic foundation/common sense. 

I want everybody to be successful! 

6 minutes ago, VaporCountry said:

You completely took what I said out of context and twisted it to be a general broad statement. Please reread

"Bioload isn't the issue with fish, we have equipment, media, and maintenance to deal with that. Should a newbie have a fully stocked tank, nope. As long as the fish are eating, healthy, and not fighting it can be done,"

OMG, give me a break. You need to take responsibility for the @#$% that you post. :rolleyes:

I stand by my comments 100%.

8 minutes ago, saltaquareef said:

OMG, give me a break. You need to take responsibility for the @#$% that you post. :rolleyes:

I stand by my comments 100%.

Good, I would expect nothing less unless you were the one that was actually embarrassed :lol:. I stand by mine as well.

"OMG", but I am so "mad" and bored of this post "bro", I'm out, enjoy your evening!!!

4 minutes ago, VaporCountry said:

Good, I would expect nothing less unless you were the one that was actually embarrassed :lol:. I stand by mine as well.

"OMG", but I am so "mad" and bored of this post "bro", I'm out, enjoy your evening!!!

Ditto, I was getting rather bored debating with you as well. I think we both made our points and gave our opinions. Have a great evening too. 

3 hours ago, saltaquareef said:

Lula_Mae above. Read it!

Oh, so you're the expert? LMAO. Taking care of live stock is a responsibility. You have proven that you know very little when it comes to this hobby. I feel very sad for your fish. I'm sure there are very knowledgeable reefers on this site. You're not one of them. Thanks for posting in a public forum. When I posted "beware of advice", this is exactly what I meant. Thank you for confirming that!

Whoa whoa hold on just a minute!  I definitely did NOT "recommend" or "suggest" anything of the kind.  @gone_PHiSHin said that teeny has four fish in his 10g (he does, including a puffer, oh noes!) and I added to that saying that Gena has four in hers, simply offering examples of VERY successful reefers who have had several fish in this tank successfully (and you'll note my caveat that her tank is a downsize from her previous one).  I was offering my thoughts, as I always do, with examples of what has worked for others before.  Your perspective is that which I often see from people who've never kept small nanos, only larger tanks.  Teeny, Gena and I have all kept picos.  It changes your mindset when you have to be mindful that EVERY thing you do can change the dynamics of your tank.  I was simply trying to offer an alternate perspective.  The fact is that many people successfully keep three fish in this tank, and some have kept four.  Would I recommend that out of the gate for a newbie?  No.  But then again, the OP may not even be new to the hobby, I'm not sure (I assumed the fish was in here temporarily, perhaps for quarantine or something).

Oh, and not to sound conceited (I'm not, usually) but I think my track record for giving advice is pretty solid.  I offer advice on what I know and admit freely when I do not have experience or knowledge about something, and I am pretty confident my reputation here speaks for itself.  I probably sound like an internet snob for saying that but what can you do. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

and i'm STILL failing to see where she RECOMMENDED anyone keep 4 fish in a ten gallon but keep at it there, champ.

maybe go back to the other forums where it's cool to argue.  maybe it is you who 'can't handle other people's opinions'?    sorry i got under your skin by disagreeing that only one very very small fish is all that can be kept in this tank...

Exactly.  I did not recommend it, I simply stated it has been done.

1 hour ago, saltaquareef said:

Then get a bigger tank! Hello? It's a 10g saltwater aquarium. 

Not everyone has the space or budget for a larger tank.  Someone living in a studio certainly can't put a 20g or larger tank in there without giving up valuable living space!  Acting like someone who doesn't have space for a bigger tank shouldn't keep fish is kind of elitist, in my opinion.

• Like 4

I ended up getting a purple stripe dottyback today from work so far so good. I think he will be my only fish in the tank so not agresstion issues arise. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, 1967type1 said:

I ended up getting a purple stripe dottyback today from work so far so good. I think he will be my only fish in the tank so not agresstion issues arise. Thanks for the recommendation.

Great choice, they're great fish for small species tanks!

Also, you could easily house 6-8 fish in a 10g long term, although you'd be limited to micro gobies. The number of fish isn't that important if you don't contextualize the size/type/behavior of the fish along with the filtration.

21 hours ago, 1967type1 said:

see in this case, that should be your only fish.  the purple stripe dottyback is one of the more aggressive of the psuedochromis family and probably will not do well with others in a 10 gal, no matter what fish.

again, it's all about doing your research to see what fish will be compatible, not necessarily how many fish.  

furthermore, Live Aquaria says minimum tank size for this fish is 30 gallons.  but will this fish be fine in a 10 gal by itself?  sure, probably.  would it have been my choice for a 10 gal?  no probably not.  that doesn't mean that the tank will be unsuccessful or the OP is choosing "the wrong path".

best of luck to you OP, and keep us updated on your tank.  the more knowledge and experience shared with the community, the more we all learn.

I knew that this would probably be my only fish in my tank. So far he's out and about all day and sleeps in a small cave between the back glass and some rocks. I have been watching this fish at work for a few days and he has a lot of personality and I fell in love with him. Hope to post pictures of the tank sometime soon.

• Like 2

I have to say it does come off as though a certain member is arguing and continuing to add the fuel to the fire....

Educating others and offering advice doesn't require calling other members out or being direspectful.

@gone_PHiSHin @Lula_Mae have always been supportive, respectful, and helpful members.

Neither gave improper advice. They gave their opinions.

There are many, many ways to run a successful reef.

The proof is out there by the many ppl who have not followed "the rules" dictated by others.

If one is dedicated to maintenance, houses appropriate fish for the tank size and mates one can be very successful.

• Like 6

I think you'll be very happy with your fish choice. Dottybacks have a ton of personality even if certain species can be aggressive, and are super entertaining to watch.

• Like 2