ReefCleaners.org

What Fish For a Nuvo 10

1967type1

Im at a loss for what fish I should add to my nuvo 10. I had a pygmy angel in till he out grew the tank which was very fast (he's now in my 70 gal tank). I would love to add a unique pair of fish that are not clowns. Or two different fish that are unique and inhabit different parts of the tank. I know how limited my options are here because it is a 10 gallon. I would love to hear some input for options from y'all!

I know that it has to be super small like clown goby size and I do like them. My only issue is they are not that social and hide a lot of the time and I want a fish that I will see. I know my limitation I just want to see if any knows about some fish that I might not have heard of or overlooked.

This is JMO, but if I were to get a 10g aquarium I wouldn't focus too much on the fish. I'd focus more on the corals or the invertebrates. At most I'd just add one small fish, it wouldn't be too much on your bio-load. Look at it this way, you wouldn't buy a Great Dane and put it in a studio. That would be cruel and unusual punishment. Remember, fish n a saltwater aquarium have different needs and space than freshwater. Hope this info helps. All the best, and success with your new tank no matter what you decide. 

• Like 1

you will be completely fine with 2 fish in this tank if you choose the right ones.  honestly 3 small fish can be done in this tank if they are compatible and a skimmer/water changes are utilized at their fullest.

hell i'm pretty sure teenyreef has 4 fish in his and he has one of the best IM10 tanks out there. i'm not saying to do this by any means, but i am saying that you are not limited to 'one very very small' fish with this tank.  i seem to be one of the few that has only one fish in their IM10, and he has been living there for 8 months, but i will be adding one more very soon with confidence.

it's all about knowing which fish will coexist, not outgrow the tank, and making sure you are able to handle the bioload through skimming, water changes, filter floss and media, maintenance, etc

• Like 2

Suggestions: green banded goby pair; green clown goby; neon goby; masked gobies; two spot bimaculatus blenny or tailspot blenny; possum wrasse or pink streaked wrasse.  If you don't mind more aggressive fish, consider a small damsel, six line wrasse, pseudochromis...lots of fish options out there for a 10g.  And Gena has four fish in her 10 as well, though hers was a downsize from a 20, but they're all happy and thriving because she does regular water changes.  I think when you've kept picos and small nanos it gives you a different perspective on what's possible. :)

• Like 3

Just go to liveaquaria.com. Do your research, make an informed decision, and don't over stock. Also, be very weary of some suggestions of putting 4 fish in a 10g. Just because one reefer does it doesn't mean all should. 

*Beware of advice and recommendations. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, saltaquareef said:

Just go to liveaquaria.com. Do your research, make an informed decision, and don't over stock. Also, be very weary of some suggestions of putting 4 fish in a 10g. Just because one reefer does it doesn't mean all should. 

*Beware of advice and recommendations. 

ok guy, if you read the thread you'd realize that no one recommended putting 4 fish in this tank.  all that was said is that is has been done by some very successful reefers.

you also will notice nearly everyone will disagree with you about 'one very very small fish' is all you can put in a ten gallon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

ok guy, if you read the thread you'd realize that no one recommended putting 4 fish in this tank.  all that was said is that is has been done by some very successful reefers.

you also will notice nearly everyone will disagree with you about 'one very very small fish' is all you can put in a ten gallon.

Agree 100% Bioload isn't the issue with fish, we have equipment, media, and maintenance to deal with that. Should a newbie have a fully stocked tank, nope. As long as the fish are eating, healthy, and not fighting it can be done. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

Maybe you should read the prior posts before you comment. Can you handle other people's opinion? Looks like you can't. :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, VaporCountry said:

Agree 100% Bioload isn't the issue with fish, we have equipment, media, and maintenance to deal with that. Should a newbie have a fully stocked tank, nope. As long as the fish are eating, healthy, and not fighting it can be done. 

"Bioload isn't an issue with fish"? OMG, no wonder people fail in this hobby. This is one of the most irresponsible reply's a reefer could make. You sound like a very uninformed person. I hope no one takes advice from you. WOW!

The original poster put a pygmy angelfish in a 10g. Not a smart move, and a good thing he had a larger tank. I hope he didn't get advice from people like you on this site. :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, saltaquareef said:

Maybe you should read the prior posts before you comment. Can you handle other people's opinion? Looks like you can't. :rolleyes:

care to point out exactly where someone SUGGESTED that 4 fish be put in this tank?

lol you're gonna fit right in here at nano-reef, saltynewcomer. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

care to point out exactly where someone SUGGESTED that 4 fish be put in this tank?

lol you're gonna fit right in here at nano-reef, saltynewcomer. :rolleyes:

Lula_Mae above. Read it!

Oh, so you're the expert? LMAO. Taking care of live stock is a responsibility. You have proven that you know very little when it comes to this hobby. I feel very sad for your fish. I'm sure there are very knowledgeable reefers on this site. You're not one of them. Thanks for posting in a public forum. When I posted "beware of advice", this is exactly what I meant. Thank you for confirming that!

and i'm STILL failing to see where she RECOMMENDED anyone keep 4 fish in a ten gallon but keep at it there, champ.

maybe go back to the other forums where it's cool to argue.  maybe it is you who 'can't handle other people's opinions'?    sorry i got under your skin by disagreeing that only one very very small fish is all that can be kept in this tank...

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, saltaquareef said:

"Bioload isn't an issue with fish"? OMG, no wonder people fail in this hobby. This is one of the most irresponsible reply's a reefer could make. You sound like a very uninformed person. I hope no one takes advice from you. WOW!

The original poster put a pygmy angelfish in a 10g. Not a smart move, and a good thing he had a larger tank. I hope he didn't get advice from people like you on this site. :rolleyes:

I don't give livestock recommendations, just comment on what has worked for me. People's tanks and abilities to keep them vary greatly. Everything from aquascape, maintenance, and temperament of the fish plays a huge part. 

Giving the advice of "A very very small one" is nothing but fear mongering. People aren't going to agree on everything but I've seem some fully stocked nanos healthier than some tanks much bigger. 

• Like 2

I like constructive conversations that will help our fellow reefers come to their own conclusions. Reefers will always have the option to do what ever they want, just like the original poster who put a pygmy angelfish in a 10g. But, that doesn't make it right! I think you guys (VC/GF) added invaluable information in your posts in what not to do. Thanks for your contribution.

:lol:

and every point i made still stands.

fwiw i certainly didn't agree with a pygmy angelfish in a 10 but if that's what you want to base your 'contribution' to this thread on then sure, you are correct there.

welcome to nano-reef, saltynewcomer

16 hours ago, saltaquareef said:

Look at it this way, you wouldn't buy a Great Dane and put it in a studio. That would be cruel and unusual punishment.

I'm new to reefing but advanced level Crazy Dog Lady and I just want to call this out. Danes are actually perfect for small space living due to their activity level / behaviour. 

Why is this relevant here? Because it's *not* just about size and bioload. "Appropriate" also has to take behavior into account. 

To the OP, I'm thinking this through right now too. I'd just say make sure you think about things like free swimming space too (your angel would've been a win as far as arbitrary inches per gallon rules go, and bioload too, but as you saw it didn't work). 

Decent conversation here:

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

:lol:

and every point i made still stands.

fwiw i certainly didn't agree with a pygmy angelfish in a 10 but if that's what you want to base your 'contribution' to this thread on then sure, you are correct there.

welcome to nano-reef, saltynewcomer

You madd bro? You posted 635 posts and counting. At what number did you become an expert? lol I have only officially posted 8 times on this site, and I have a better perception on this hobby than you do. :) Trying to justify your argument just makes you weaker and weaker. Please enlighten us more on your grand wisdom. 

Conversations/disagreements like this make this site great. It allows us to learn from one another and form our own conclusions. Do you even understand my posts or points?

I give my opinion, and you don't seem to like what I wrote. That's fair enough. I'm not here to argue with you, i'm here to challenge ideas and learn from each other. I don't agree with  your opinion on how to run a successful reef aquarium. But, I will let the forum come to their own conclusions when it comes to that. 

Happy reefing. :D