Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Minimal Peninsula 14 - New FTS

thekeywork

I'm not good at starting things if they aren't perfect, but I'm feeling the need to show this somewhere. I've been out of the hobby for a decade (though I was building nano-reefs then too...never had a large tank), but decided I have too little ocean in my current life in Michigan. Here is a quick shot of the tank I've been building. It's been up for 42 days now. I'm going for a very minimalist/bonsai aquascaping, and shying away from the more vivid colors in the hobby in favor of a color palette consisting of black and white, with tan, rust, and muted orange/pink/brown. I may throw some accents of blue or red in, but (with the exception of some hair algae) I've been avoiding the neon greens, purples,  and oranges that make some tanks look like a blacklight rave. 

Here's the rundown:

Equipment

IM Peninsula 14

Current USA Marine LED IC

Heater

ATO

Livestock

2x Midnight Ocellaris

Red Bubbletip Anemone

White Variegated Urchin

Back Pincushion Urchin

Rust Zoas

Xenia

White Pipe Organ

Pink Cabbage Leather

Rust Acan

3x Sexy Shrimp

6x Blue Legged Hermits

Pom-Pom Crab

IMG_1755.jpg

• Like 4

Neat scape!  Your color theme is interesting!  I've been going for a bit more muted palette as well, but not as much as yours, and doing lots of pinks and purples as they're my favorite colors lol. :welcome: to Nano-Reef! (you too, @1967type1!)

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, 1967type1 said:

Super cool little tank! I really like the rock work. What are you using for filtration and what are your future plans for the tank?

Thanks! I spent a lot of time on the rock work. Right now, just a filter sock and water changes. I’m considering adding a media basket, but I can’t decide what to put in it. I’m also considering the reef glass skimmer. 

5 hours ago, thekeywork said:

Thanks! I spent a lot of time on the rock work. Right now, just a filter sock and water changes. I’m considering adding a media basket, but I can’t decide what to put in it. I’m also considering the reef glass skimmer. 

I haven't used the reef glass skimmer before but I have used IM's ghost skimmer and love it.

1 hour ago, 1967type1 said:

I haven't used the reef glass skimmer before but I have used IM's ghost skimmer and love it.

I read that it’s loud and won’t fit in my sump with the lighting bracket. I’ve been reading a lot of good things about the reef glass one and it takes up very little space. I’ll let you know how it goes. :-)

Front tank shots are hard in a peninsula. They just aren’t meant to be viewed solely from the front. I have designed mine to be interesting from all 3 angles, but here’s a new shot of the “front”

51901D59-36C6-4A9E-9067-44CDC122EFB8.jpeg

• Like 2