Coral Vue Hydros

Hello! And yet another "help me pick a tank" thread....

Detritus

Hey thank you both very much! It's sounding like the AI Prime will be the way to go, but I'm going to do some more research on these others. Thanks again!

-D

12 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Radion is the cats ass lighting.

Is that this?

https://www.marinedepot.com/EcoTech_Marine_Radion_XR15w_G4_Pro_LED_Light_Fixture_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-EcoTech_Marine-EM30332-FILTFILD-vi.html

This looks intriguing. The price tag is a little steep, but would this Radion leave me with no doubt that my lighting wouldn't be a limiting factor in my ability to grow nearly anything I felt capable of trying otherwise? I Like that this light seems to penetrate deeper into deeper tanks. If I started with one of these over a 40 gallon "cube-ish" styled tank, could I later hang two of these Radions over my standard 65 gallon and be happy? It would be great to get one light now that would light up to 40 gallons, and two of which would light my 65 gallon in the future if I wanted to. One reservation I have about the Prime is that if I wanted to upgrade to my 65 gallon tank later, I'm not sure two Prime's would be enough. Three might be better, but it's a standard tank with a center brace, so I'm not sure how that works, and four doesn't seem right, there has to be something better than that. I'll be reading about. and hopefully finding some review videos, on this light tonight. This is really the Bee's Knee's, as they say?

As always, your help is much appreciated!

-Detritus

2 minutes ago, Flexin said:

Two AI Primes easily light up a 65, easily... 

Awesome! Do you have links or examples of this? Again, I just want to see this for myself, and to see what animals are growing, before I decide. Theoretically, if I did the 65 gallon standard tank (and I'm not saying I'm going to yet!). it would be roughly 18"x18" times two. So in theory, two AI Primes should do the trick. I'd just like to see it to be sure ;-)

Thank you again, Flexin, I really appreciate you stopping by and helping me with all my decisions!

=Detritus

2 minutes ago, Flexin said:

Np, I will have pics tomorrow,  finished filling the tank finally so it should be clear by then.  I had to turn them down, the light was intense.

No problem, no rush, and I very much appreciate your help! Really, if one AI Prime HD+ can light up to a 40 Gallon IM Nuvo Black (or a similarly shaped tank), and then two AI Prime's can light up a 65 standard tub (for SPS, clams, anemones, etc), then this is yet another huge vote for the AI Prime. I'm leaning towards getting an AI Prime HD+ just because of the votes/reviews, and then sizing my tank and my future options around that (i.e. 1 Prime or multiple Primes). 

Thanks, buddy!

-Detritus

Hey guys, does this forum ever send you an email when someone replies to a post you've subscribed to? I *believe* I have everything set to notify, and everything set to point to my email, but I never get an email when someone leaves a reply. What am I doing wrong? 

Thanks!

-D

Here you go, this is with the blues off and the rest at 100.  My background is a very very dark royal blue.  This is with 2 Prime HDs.  One on this tank is not enough.  You would have the top corner with less light.  The way they are mounted they pivot.  So I adjusted the light towards each other to cut does on spill over on the floor.  The second is with the blue on.  The total height is 6'2".

Id get a kessil a360we it will light it. Also the disco effect is horrible with AI. If you like that look then its great.But tbh with your budget id just buy 2 black box leds from amazon for less than 200$

24 minutes ago, Nickbruh510 said:

Id get a kessil a360we it will light it. Also the disco effect is horrible with AI. If you like that look then its great.But tbh with your budget id just buy 2 black box leds from amazon for less than 200$

By "black box" are you talking about the GalaxyHydro reef lights or ViparSpectra lights? I've seen those, but for this tank I think I'd like one of the higher end units. I haven't actually decided on a budget for my lighting yet, but I'll keep these less expensive lights in mind for other builds. Thanks for the help!

-D

2 hours ago, Flexin said:

Here you go, this is with the blues off and the rest at 100.  My background is a very very dark royal blue.  This is with 2 Prime HDs.  One on this tank is not enough.  You would have the top corner with less light.  The way they are mounted they pivot.  So I adjusted the light towards each other to cut does on spill over on the floor.  The second is with the blue on.  The total height is 6'2".

Wow, nice looking setup. Thanks for posting that! Can I ask a little about the canopy? Did you make that or buy it? Do you think it helps keep light spill down? I have been liking the idea of an open top tank, but traditionally I have had canopys in the past. 

As as far as the lights, they look great! What are your plans for livestock? You think your setup will keep SPS happy? A tridacna clam? And how high off the surface of the water do the lights sit?

Thanks for your help!!

-D

Since I'm use to a led bio cube, I'm sure these will do well.  Still plotting on livestock.  i want something different from what's currently in my 32, i would say a clam is in my future.  But with a larger tank, you have more options   

In regards to placement, once your tank is setup you will get a feel for what is happy where.  Different flow or light intensity will be different in every tank, so start with a recommendation and then see how the corals react. It seems most turn the lights down.

The canopy was custom made by a local cabinet maker.  I got lucky, they have one affiliated with my LFS and the cost is about the same for the off the shelf ones, but i wanted the base taller, and the canopy higher.  having the canopy higher helps with spillover and since the lights are physically adjustable, i directed them towards the center until the spill was minimized.

The pictures dont don't do the lights justice.  The blues are strong and intense in pictures, so i tried to tune them down.  Hope this helps no matter what light you go with...

4 hours ago, Flexin said:

The canopy was custom made by a local cabinet maker.  I got lucky, they have one affiliated with my LFS and the cost is about the same for the off the shelf ones, but i wanted the base taller, and the canopy higher.  having the canopy higher helps with spillover and since the lights are physically adjustable, i directed them towards the center until the spill was minimized.

Well, I think your setup looks very sharp! Does the stand match the canopy? Can you tell me what kind of wood he used, and a little about the finish? And is that a standard, rimmed 65 gallon tank then? That looks really nice, very tempting for me to setup my 65 after this, but I worry that's a lot of tank for me right now. with a lot of water to handle each week. But, I could skip buying a $250 new tank, and instead get two Prime's for the 65 I have. Well, probably best for me to start with a 40 gallon and see how this goes, but it's tempting.....

And just a more general question, I saw a random youtube product review video, I don't remember now who it was or what product he was reviewing, but he said he got a great deal on whatever it was at a Black Friday. sale. I'm wondering, do places like BRS and Marine Depot and others do decent Black Friday sales? If so, maybe it's worth it for me to get everything all at once then? After all, that's coming up in just a couple months now, and I need at least that time to research and finalize my plans.

Thanks again!

-Detritus

On 9/30/2017 at 12:33 PM, Nickbruh510 said:

Is this because you happen to be selling a (used) Kessil a360we in the classified section of nr.com? Does that have anything to do with your recommendation?

-D

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@Detritus go online and watch @BulkReefSupply videos. They have technical reviews of all the lights you have mentioned in this thread.  They show PAR levels at different measurements within different sized tanks....... then check out the customer reviews for each light and go from there. :)  

• Like 1

Hi, Christy! 

Thank you for stopping by, I wasn't sure anyone was really paying attention anymore! I know I was rambling a lot, but I'm just in the planning stages of my tank right now. However, I do have news.....

First of all, when I was previously in the hobby I was a BRS customer, and lately I have been EATING UP their videos. I think they are really well done and remarkably unbiased, though I ALWAYS take info given by a store with a grain of salt. 

Yes, I love reading user reviews, and I did read A LOT about these lights. But, nothing beats seeing things in person, and just last Saturday I made the rounds of our handful of local fish stores that are worth visiting for reefing supplies. I was fortunate enough to see both the AI Hydra 26 HD and the AI Prime HD in person. In particular, I saw a beautiful 65 gallon SPS display tank lit by two Hydra 26 HD's. Make a long story short, and no offense to what anyone else says or does, but I now know for sure, after seeing the lights in person, that the AI Hydra 26 HD is the light for me. Personally, I believe that the Prime HD is great for tanks up to about 20 gallons, but I am now looking to go larger if I can, and I think I can, though this might all be after the holidays at this point. But for the extra money, I think the Hydra 26 is well worth it.

That said, I'm like 99% sure the Aqua Illumination lights are for me, but I am open to suggestions for other brands. I am still interested in Kessil because of their reputation over the years, and I saw the EcoTech in person as well, which seemed impressive. I know EcoTech and AI and now parent/daughter companies, if I'm not mistaken. I have read nothing but great things about Nanobox as well. I'm in absolutely no hurry to run out and buy, I'd prefer to take my time, research, and buy wisely the first time, so if there's other lighting suggestions please let me know. 

My latest feeling on tanks is that I'd like to go larger than 10 or 20 gallons, which was my initial thought (though I may do a 10 or 20 AIO at work!). I have to do some math, but I'm debating about a, give or take, 40 gallon brand new tank, rimless, low-iron glass, where I'd have to buy everything. Or, setting up the standard 65 gallon, black-rimmed, reef-ready tank I already have. This 65 is "old fashioned", but it's seriously in brand new condition, I already own it, I already have a brand new in the box Reef Octopus 8" skimmer with pump, I already have a DIY'd 55 gallon tank-to-sump convert (Melev Model F styled), I have a decent Mag 7 or 9 return pump. a media reactor with pump (brand new), and I have a couple AquaLifter pumps to make a DIY ATO. I would need to buy not one but two AI Hydra 26 HD lights, stock the tank with rock, inverts, and fish, and pay for water changes on this volume, but I have all of the above mentioned gear. I'd also need a large (to me) water change bucket. I have a perfectly clean Rubbermaid Brute 45 gallon (I think), but where do I put that big bucket and the RODI unit, let alone the 65 gallon tank, in the house??

If I do a 40 gallon fancy rimless, I'd have to buy the tank itself, one AI Hydra light, I'd run a sump (add $$$ there even for a 20 long DIY build), I'd do the BeanAnimal overflow, I'd want a decent skimmer of some kind, AND I'd probably still want to do a sophisticated ATO on a 40 or less. It would cost me less to stock it, and I *might* be able to get away with one or two 5 gallon, food-grade buckets as my water change reservoir. I could also start with a 40, and later upgrade to the 65 by buying a second light, so there is a lot for me to consider. 

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!! Thanks everyone!!

-Detritus

• Like 1