Thunder Goose

Mortality rate?

I've noticed a relatively high mortality rate among certain invertebrates shortly after shipping [my LFS does not carry many inverts, especially small ones]. In particular I have had bad luck with small shrimp like Sexy shrimp and Pederson's shrimp. Is this common? Is this just me? Can anything be done to help increase survival?

PS I also can't keep freshwater cherry shrimp alive in my freshwater tank. It might be a curse....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

I've noticed a relatively high mortality rate among certain invertebrates shortly after shipping [my LFS does not carry many inverts, especially small ones]. In particular I have had bad luck with small shrimp like Sexy shrimp and Pederson's shrimp. Is this common? Is this just me? Can anything be done to help increase survival?

PS I also can't keep freshwater cherry shrimp alive in my freshwater tank. It might be a curse....

I was the opposite in the beginning....... my cleaner shrimp always died but the sexy shrimp lived forever! :)  

For me, crabs are my weak point.  Other than hermits, they always die. :(  

On 9/22/2017 at 5:25 AM, Thunder Goose said:

are you drip acclimating?

• Like 1

TILTON   

I can't keep cleaner shrimp alive to save my life.  They will be fine for a few days and then dead.  My pistol shrimp has been good though.  🤷‍♂️

I drip for over an hour but they still die within about a week. Not a problem with my cleaner, peppermint, snapping or crabs. That's why I'm so confused and thought it might be a species thing. Sounds like not. 

I'm guessing it's something in our tanks (water quality, dosing chemical quality, equipment, etc) or a problem with the source. I'm leaning more towards our end, though, as it seems to differ by the individual, or region. While all of the above mentioned inverts have all been particularly hardy, IME, as well as others I have known personally. Here we seem to have different group of inverts with poor survival rates. Both of these being among the easiest of inverts to keep. Myself, as well as most local reefers I know, can't keep emerald crabs, or turbo snails alive for more than a month. I won't even buy them anymore.

• Like 1

TILTON   

I actually think my last casualty with my skunk cleaner was due to not rinsing a large monti frag well enough after a bayer dip.  2 fan worms died at the same time.

• Sad 1