Coral Vue Hydros

"Low Maintenance" ADA 60F Nano Build

skrist

Here are some quick pics. Ignore the tube going into the tank. Its just temporary until my return pipe comes in. Also ignore how low the water level is. Im going to install a baffle in the overflow to raise the uptake point of the water. Overall I think the box looks pretty good. Im much happier with its performance. The plan now is to grow some large corals in that corner to try and hide the box

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Tom@HaslettMI

Great looking tank!  

I could be wrong but the cork plugging the air intake on the drain was probably why the Mame overflow didn't work correctly. 

Tom

On 10/21/2017 at 9:28 PM, skrist said:

Finally completed the setup! Just a few more days of cycling and I can start adding corals!

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

3 minutes ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

Great looking tank!  

I could be wrong but the cork plugging the air intake on the drain was probably why the Mame overflow didn't work correctly. 

Tom

Thank you! It was definitely not the cork. I tried with and without, also using the mame silencer cap. 

1 minute ago, skrist said:

Thank you! It was definitely not the cork. I tried with and without, also using the mame silencer cap. 

Just curious, did the cork work about as well as the silencer cap for quieting it down?

• 2 weeks later...

Having some issues with coral health. I accidentally exposed my red ridge sponge to air when the mame overflow was acting up and it started to die. Im not sure if the sponge released some toxins or what but my purple pocillipora died and my montipora is starting to bleach. I checked my parameters and my alk was low so I ordered a jebao dosing pump to help stabilize everything. Hope there is room in the stand!

I installed the jebao dosing pump today. I have it programmed to dose 8ml of my calcium solution, 8ml of my magnesium solution, and 40ml of my alkalinity solution every day. I had to break off my montipora to dip it in coralrx to stop the STN because I had two anemones on the same piece of live rock. It seems the STN has finally stopped! But now my montipora is in pieces :(

Loving the build so far. I also used one of those EShopps S Overflows on my tank, and I'm super happy with it. Got it running silent with a herbie style overflow/drain.

Even if you had stable params after a month, your tank is still pretty new. I doubt your sponge getting exposed had a butterfly effect to cause all the other corals to start to bleach. Also, I would venture to say you have enough water volume that with just doing water changes, you could keep up with the calk/alk in your tank, nothing in there is consuming it rapidly, I think dosing at this stage is going to create unnecessary problems for you.

Just my 2c, following along!

21 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Loving the build so far. I also used one of those EShopps S Overflows on my tank, and I'm super happy with it. Got it running silent with a herbie style overflow/drain.

Even if you had stable params after a month, your tank is still pretty new. I doubt your sponge getting exposed had a butterfly effect to cause all the other corals to start to bleach. Also, I would venture to say you have enough water volume that with just doing water changes, you could keep up with the calk/alk in your tank, nothing in there is consuming it rapidly, I think dosing at this stage is going to create unnecessary problems for you.

Just my 2c, following along!

Yeah, Im starting to think that its because I replaced my substrate and it restarted the ammonia-nitrate cycle. I think the bacteria growth caused the alk to drop. I measured it at 5.6 dkh at one point when the STN was at its worst. I'll back off my alk dosing when it seems to be fully cycled. I'm still keeping very close tabs on this tank, doing ca, mg, alk, nitrate tests daily. And i also managed to make the eshopps overflow nearly completely silent!