Innovative Marine Aquariums

"Low Maintenance" ADA 60F Nano Build

skrist

1 hour ago, skrist said:

Just bought a bubble magus curve 5 protein skimmer and installed this new 36W grow led for my refugium. The quietpro 2.0 DC pump didnt end up solving my issues with the Mame overflow though (the pump is not variable between 5% and 100% as the description states but more like 35%-100%). However, I think the problem has more to do with the overflow itself because I have been through 3 different pumps using all kinds of various flowrates and have been unable to find a flowrate strong enough to autostart the siphon but slow enough to not overwhelm the overflow's siphon capacity.  I contacted the seller of the Mame and asked for a replacement since the venturi section does not autostart under the appropriate flow rate. I'm gonna toss this one up to me getting a lemon. Hopefully I can get a replacement that works. Definitely going to drill the next reef build.

IMG_6023.JPG

If they won't replace it for you let me know, mine is sitting around unused at the moment and I'd be happy to give you a good deal on it. Hopefully they are willing to though.

Pretty sure this is actually a kenya tree and not a xenia like I originally thought. It's grown about twice the size in the past three days.

26279049769_aa47550267_k.jpg

30 minutes ago, Halo_003 said:

If they won't replace it for you let me know, mine is sitting around unused at the moment and I'd be happy to give you a good deal on it. Hopefully they are willing to though.

I'd appreciate that! PM sent

• Like 1

Yeah thats a kenya tree. Lots of people hate them because they grow so fast and seed new trees fast but I've always liked them. Can always give away the extra ones you don't want.

1 hour ago, skrist said:

Pretty sure this is actually a kenya tree and not a xenia like I originally thought. It's grown about twice the size in the past three days.

I'd appreciate that! PM sent

That is definitely Kenya tree. I had one several years ago and it never seeded any new trees, but it grew like crazy.

Shot you a PM back, but like I said I'd hope Mame would replace the overflow for you.

Installed my bubble magus curve 5 after I got a smokin deal on one. I believe they are still on sale for around $160.

image1.JPG

In other news, Ive been doing lots of feeding and nitrates and display algae are still at 0. Very impressed with the chaeto's ability to remove unwanted nutrients under proper lighting. Im going to continue lighting the fuge 24/7 until my chaeto has grown enough to cover the sandbed, then I will switch over to a nocturnal cycle to help balance pH swings.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My water parameters have been looking very stable so I decided to pull the trigger on a big online purchase of corals!

Here's the list

Corals:

-Pink Acropora
-Pink Birds Nest 

-Purple Pocillipora 
-Green Pocillipora

-Red Gorgonian

-Green Ricordea Yuma

-Alien Eye Zoanthids

-Radio Active Dragon Eye Zoanthids
-Red Ridge Sponge 

Clean up crew:

-Blue Leg Hermit Crab 

-Peppermint Shrimp
-2x Cerith Snail
-Turbo Snail

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, silvertoe said:

Wow,

Awesome setup. So many corals going in already? How long's it been running and how is everything doing?

Its been running for about a month now and have been testing my calcium, magnesium, alkalinity, pH, nitrate, and phosphates every 3 days. I had some big fluctations at first when my magnesium was low but since Ive been dosing, all of those parameters havent varied more than 10% from the acceptable range. The corals all seem good and healthy, ive been feeding reef roids daily as well as blended mysis shrimp once a week. It really is amazing the success Ive been having simply by doing loads of research. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, skrist said:

Its been running for about a month now and have been testing my calcium, magnesium, alkalinity, pH, nitrate, and phosphates every 3 days. I had some big fluctations at first when my magnesium was low but since Ive been dosing, all of those parameters havent varied more than 10% from the acceptable range. The corals all seem good and healthy, ive been feeding reef roids daily as well as blended mysis shrimp once a week. It really is amazing the success Ive been having simply by doing loads of research. 

Research is your friend! Also, your wallet's friend! :lol:

2 hours ago, silvertoe said:

Awesome,

Has the Mame been behaving itself now? I really wanted one on my new setup but couldn't seem to find anywhere in the UK!

Not really. Im pretty sure i got a lemon so the seller refunded me and i have another coming so we'll see

I can't wait to hear if you can get the mame working, I have the Aqua Lab Aquaria version of your tank coming on Wednesday and I'm torn between running a AC 70 or two on it or a sump. I'm concerned about drilling it since the glass is so thin and the only HOB overflow that isn't too bulky is the mame. 

35 minutes ago, gogeta said:

I really REALLY really like this set up. With that sort of filtration to display ratio it really will be very efficient 

Thank you! Ive always wanted a setup with a bigger sump than display! 

6 minutes ago, Lbacha said:

I can't wait to hear if you can get the mame working, I have the Aqua Lab Aquaria version of your tank coming on Wednesday and I'm torn between running a AC 70 or two on it or a sump. I'm concerned about drilling it since the glass is so thin and the only HOB overflow that isn't too bulky is the mame. 

My brother's mame works flawlessly at a range of flowrates. Mine just happens to be a lemon. Something is wrong with the venturi tube.

Update on my refugium:

The chaetomorpha which started out as 2 baseball size clumps has nearly filled my refugium (~6 gallons) after about 2 weeks. Im super impressed with the chaeto. Still very little display algae. Now I need to add some snails to my fuge to clean the other microalgae from the glass.

IMG_6046.JPG

• Like 3

Update:

The mame overflow is out. I changed every variable: hose distances, flowrates (50-600gph), inlet height, etc, but nothing seemed to make the mame work correctly and self-start its siphon. I even tried a different used mame from another member on here but that didnt work either. Not sure what was wrong, but I woke up to a bad spill yesterday morning so I decided to drill the tank and install a small eshopps overflow box. No pics yet of it installed but Im just happy to have a reliable overflow that will take a range of flowrates without issue. I'll post some pics once i get the new return pipe installed too.  

IMG_6056.JPG

• skrist changed the title to "Low Maintenance" ADA 60F Nano Build
16 minutes ago, Halo_003 said:

Sucks that it didn't work. Did you do one of the Eclipse overflows? 

Yeah I did the small eclipse overflow. It looks decent, but its really loud. I need to figure out how to make it quieter

I just drilled my 60f for the glass holes nano overflow and I'm very happy with it. I looked into the eclipse but since it would have hung past the bottom of the tank I wasn't sure how it would work. Looking forward to see yours on the tank.

28 minutes ago, Lbacha said:

I just drilled my 60f for the glass holes nano overflow and I'm very happy with it. I looked into the eclipse but since it would have hung past the bottom of the tank I wasn't sure how it would work. Looking forward to see yours on the tank.

So you decided not to do the mame? I love the look of them, but I just had too many issues. I wanted this tank to be as low maintenance as possible so ultimately the mame didnt fit my needs. I needed something that would accept a wide range of flowrates, work reliably with lots of wave movement, and not build so much algae. I'll post a pic of the new box tonight. 

12 minutes ago, skrist said:

So you decided not to do the mame? I love the look of them, but I just had too many issues. I wanted this tank to be as low maintenance as possible so ultimately the mame didnt fit my needs. I needed something that would accept a wide range of flowrates, work reliably with lots of wave movement, and not build so much algae. I'll post a pic of the new box tonight. 

Nope no Mame, for the price and the fact it's seems a little finicky I decided a drilled tank was a better option. The nano glass holes box is really small and silent with a marine land 900 as a return pump. I'm happy with the choice.

IMG_9894.JPG

32 minutes ago, Lbacha said:

Nope no Mame, for the price and the fact it's seems a little finicky I decided a drilled tank was a better option. The nano glass holes box is really small and silent with a marine land 900 as a return pump. I'm happy with the choice.

IMG_9894.JPG

The XAqua InOut would have been a good choice too. Still super clean though. 

9 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Hows the fuge doing ? 

Fuge is doing great. I removed about half of the chaeto that was in there and added some snails that already did work on the microalgae building up on the glass