Top Shelf Aquatics

I have 99 problems and a Ricordea's one

Cannedfish

Help.

I have a ricordea florida that has been growing well and otherwise healthy, however, one day (many weeks back), it decided it did not like the rock it was attached to and wanted to hit the open road. Taking to heart the old adage that "a rolling stone never grows moss,"  this enterprising ricordea  decided that it would just fold in half and attach to itself, and become essentially a ball of ricordea. While normally, I would not judge its life decisions, the fact that it is round, means that it rolls around the tank like a tumble weed. Although the idea of a tumble riccordea is slightly humorous, it does have a nasty habit of stingy things, which is not funny. As a result, it is now being sequestered in ricordea jail til the authorities can figure out what must be done.  

My question is, has anyone had a similar problem? I have tried all manner of things to get it to attached to a rock: it has lived in a small cup on top of various shapes, sizes, colors, etc. of live rock/rumble, in various parts of the tank, over many weeks. But still it doesn't attach. Maybe its just a huge narcissist and  will only love itself, maybe it just hates me. 

The problem is, the ricordea in a cup is a huge eye sore in a tiny tank, and the ricordea jail does seem to get enough light (though plenty of runoff food from the dendros).

Any ideas? 

• Haha 6

Glueing mushrooms and other softies  doesn't work.

You have to put rubble or a frag plug in a container, place the shroom on the material, wrap the container in a mesh material or panty hose and place in tank.

The shroom will attach to the plug or rubble which then can be glued down.

Unfortunately, you have to live with the eyesore.

• Like 1

I usually just try to find a depression in a rock, and put it in there.  Basically, so that it doesn't blow around.  Eventually it should attach.  It might decide to move again, but kids will be kids.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Unfortunately, you have to live with the eyesore.

Man, this monster of a mush...err... whatever it is, is turning my tank in to 10 gallons of stick in the eye. 

4 hours ago, seabass said:

I usually just try to find a depression in a rock, and put it in there.  Basically, so that it doesn't blow around.  Eventually it should attach.  It might decide to move again, but kids will be kids.

Since time out is clearly not working... Has anyone successfully administered a spanking to a ricordea, or maybe a ruler slap to the wrist.

Wait, they have neither wrist nor bottom?

Damn ricordea, wins again!!!

• Haha 1

I had one ric tumbled its way into a mouth of rBTA, luckily I found it in time.  shook the BTA, out came the the ric's.  

Anyway, the same ric was then wedge at the corner of the tank surrounded by decent sized live rocks (blocking the flow, no cup needed).  It finally healed and colored back up.  It is now attached on one of its surrounding rock/bottom of the tank.  I have not tried to move it since. 

1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

I had one ric tumbled its way into a mouth of rBTA, luckily I found it in time.  shook the BTA, out came the the ric's.  

Anyway, the same ric was then wedge at the corner of the tank surrounded by decent sized live rocks (blocking the flow, no cup needed).  It finally healed and colored back up.  It is now attached on one of its surrounding rock/bottom of the tank.  I have not tried to move it since. 

Does the corner get much light? Currently, tumble ricordia's time-out jail is in the corner also surrounded by live rock walls. However, its not as bright back there, and their is some partial shading. I didn't know how low of light they can handle? 

As a note, I'm running an AI Prime HD at 60% about 8 inches above a Nuvo 10, so everywhere else is pretty bright.

Also, your tank is awesome!

39 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Does the corner get much light? Currently, tumble ricordia's time-out jail is in the corner also surrounded by live rock walls. However, its not as bright back there, and their is some partial shading. I didn't know how low of light they can handle? 

As a note, I'm running an AI Prime HD at 60% about 8 inches above a Nuvo 10, so everywhere else is pretty bright.

Also, your tank is awesome!

Thank you, much appreciated! It's a work-in-progress, but I like where it's heading. 

I'd say partial shading should be fine. I had made a mistake of sticking a ric in a hole in live rock then put another rock over it, thinking it'd be fine. A week later moved the cover rock, a bunch of slime came flowing out, it literally melted away while being stuffed inside that hole. Can't tell if it was lack of flow or lack of light, or both.

Moral of that story is that as long as the ric is exposed, it should be fine - the key would be to surround it, not putting rocks over it.  Once it attaches itself to something, hopefully you can then move it.

36855182705_088c7cef3e_b.jpg

You can barely see the orange glow of the previously-rogue ric on the bottom left of the pic above, wedging behind the feather duster rock. So that's the bottom left wall of my full tank shot, so it's under the frag rack, and getting quite a bit of shade by the big monti plate.  I'd say mine is not getting a ton of light, but it's a heck of a lot brighter than it used to be when it first came out of BTA, :D.

11 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Thank you, much appreciated! It's a work-in-progress, but I like where it's heading. 

I'd say partial shading should be fine. I had made a mistake of sticking a ric in a hole in live rock then put another rock over it, thinking it'd be fine. A week later moved the cover rock, a bunch of slime came flowing out, it literally melted away while being stuffed inside that hole. Can't tell if it was lack of flow or lack of light, or both.

Moral of that story is that as long as the ric is exposed, it should be fine - the key would be to surround it, not putting rocks over it.  Once it attaches itself to something, hopefully you can then move it.

36855182705_088c7cef3e_b.jpg

You can barely see the orange glow of the previously-rogue ric on the bottom left of the pic above, wedging behind the feather duster rock. So that's the bottom left wall of my full tank shot, so it's under the frag rack, and getting quite a bit of shade by the big monti plate.  I'd say mine is not getting a ton of light, but it's a heck of a lot brighter than it used to be when it first came out of BTA, :D.

Thanks! I really appreciate the advice! Furthermore, I can only hope that one day, long after someone pulls me out of the hungry mouth of a BTA, that they'll say, "He looks way better today then the day we pulled him out!" Because, at the very least,  I can only imagine that at some point during my devouring,  I will have been completely covered in some sort of weird and unpleasant slime. 

• Haha 2
Thrassian Atoll

Could you rubber band it to a rock and take it off when it's attached?  Not super tight or anything.  I thought I remember hearing people do that a long time ago.