Cultivated Reef

New 15 Gallon Tank

HeatherD

Hello everyone.    I've been doing a fisheless cycle while researching and finally it seems to be ready (hooray). 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and nitrates off the chart (large water change planned for tomorrow).  Then if all reads ok on Saturday morning its time to go shopping and I was hoping for help on what to get. 

I'm thinking -

2 clownfish

1 cleaner shrimp or blood red fire shrimp.

Blue leg or red leg crabs (how many?)

Snails. 

But then I got to thinking  - I'm planning on a bare bottom tank so are the crabs and snails a good idea without sand. And also the shrimp?

The plans aren't set in stone so any suggestions/advice would be welcome

Indeed, the bare bottom idea  isn't an 

absolute final decision.  I'm going fish only for the time being but hope to take on corals later on but will need to upgrade my lights first.  Oh and also learn how to keep corals?

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, HeatherD said:

Hello everyone.    I've been doing a fisheless cycle while researching and finally it seems to be ready (hooray). 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and nitrates off the chart (large water change planned for tomorrow).  Then if all reads ok on Saturday morning its time to go shopping and I was hoping for help on what to get. 

I'm thinking -

2 clownfish

1 cleaner shrimp or blood red fire shrimp.

Blue leg or red leg crabs (how many?)

Snails. 

But then I got to thinking  - I'm planning on a bare bottom tank so are the crabs and snails a good idea without sand. And also the shrimp?

The plans aren't set in stone so any suggestions/advice would be welcome

Indeed, the bare bottom idea  isn't an 

absolute final decision.  I'm going fish only for the time being but hope to take on corals later on but will need to upgrade my lights first.  Oh and also learn how to keep corals?

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!  I'd start slow to give your biofilter time to catch up.  I would definitely recommend snails as they will eat algae in your tank.  Crabs are a personal choice, and I personally think they are little jerks so I don't use them, other people love them though.  If you get some, look for scarlet hermits as they are supposed to be the most mild mannered.  Otherwise blue or red legs are alright.  You could have a shrimp even if bare bottom.  If you get a fish or two, keep an eye on your ammonia for spikes and be ready to do a good sized water change and keep Seachem Prime on hand (it helps neutralize ammonia).

• Like 1

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't recommend adding all that at one time.  I usually add the clean up crew first and give it a few weeks to see how it goes.  Then if all is well, add maybe 1 fish.

I'd start off with a small cuc.

A couple of snails and a couple of hermits. I personally love hermits.

Go slow and add small amounts at one time with time in between additions.

I'd add the shrimp later.

• Like 1