dirtrider225

The Pickle rick custom 125 (pre) Build!

This is in the works currently as i sell my red sea reefer 250. I got a qoute from SC Aquariums on a custom tank and i am likely to go with it! This will be both my pre build and eventually my build thread. I will try to keep it updated as i change plans and or purchase equipment! Without further adoo here we go!

**CAUTION** WORDY POSTS TO FOLLOW 

Planned equipment so far:

Custom SC Aquariums starphire tank 48x30x20, drilled for ghost overflow and matching wood stand.

Trigger systems amathyst 39 sump (Wife's favorite color is purple so bonus points!)

Nyos 160 or Deltec 1455

I plan on running a large chaeto fuge on this tank OR an ATS. If i go the fuge route ill likely use the kessil h380 for lighting.

Vectra m1 return pump

Gyre xf 230x2

Apex classic

Tunze ato

Lighting: This one will be interesting and i will have to test it AFTER i get the aquarium. I currently own a 36" Nanobox/ati hybrid with 4 t5 bulbs and 6 v3 arrays. This is the light i would like to use on this system but i am concerned with the 30" width of the tank. I will hang the light about 8-10 inches above the water (can go higher) and the tank will definately not be SPS dominate. Hell it likely wont contain but 10-15 pieces of easy ORA sps.

My other option would be the Mitras lx7's i have now (2) and possibly a third for this tank. With that said, i can not buy another Mitras unless i sell the hybrid. I am very pleased with the color of the mitras and the perks of all LED but part of me misses the fullness of t5 light that is missing.

For sand i will be going with Tropic eden reef flakes (3mm) and rock will be a mix of BRS pukani and Fiji. I will be cooking it in acid prior to the build starting. I also plan on drilling holes for acryllic rods to build a "modular" scape in the event i have to remove stuff. I will also likely dose multiple bottled bacteria strains to have a healthy variety in the system. May or may not run (one of) siporax/matrix/marinepure in the sump.

Current fish from my teardown and temporary tank:

1 Clown (been with me for over 8 years now)

1 6 line wrasse

1 orchid dotty back

1 yellow eye kole tang

2 Bengai Cardinal fish

Planned fish for this tank:

1 Yellow tang 

1 Tomini tang

Midas blenny pair

4-5 royal Gramma (always wanted to try these guys as a harem) If this doesn't work out or i change my mind I may go with some anthias instead. I really want to find a group of fish i can do a harem with (not clownfish for this setup) 

A little bit of background on me in this hobby I have had 4 reef tanks so far since starting the hobby. My first was an unresearched 55 gallon with hob skimmer and filter. I bought this off of craigslist already set up and did no research. I was in 7th grade at the time, and spent all my birthday and christmas money on the tank and buying fish. I (and unfortunately the fish) learned that reefing is hard.

I ended up getting a biocube 29 for my birthday the next year (i sold the 55 gallon) and did a ton of reading and talking to my LFS. This tank was successful for 3 years. I ended up giving it to my cousin as I left for military training.

Fast forward 3 years, I was fortunate enough to go scuba diving in Cozumel with my Girlfriends family, and that ignited the spark again! I returned home and purchased a used RSM130d. I quickly decided i did not want another all in one tank so it was only running for about 7 months.

Moved into my apartment and bought the setup of my "dreams" *with alloted space and size restrictions* Reefer 250, vertex omega 150, nanobox/ati LED T5 hybrid, apex, all the goodies i wanted. The tank did amazing for about 8 months, then the dinos struck. I fought the battle for 3 months, winning some weeks, losing others. In the end i had no fish losses but my coral were devestated from the fight. At the time we bought a house and moved out of the apartment. I set the tank up with 100% new water and removed sandbed, lost 1 fish in the move but the dinos had finally been bested. What coral survived started to recover and grow which was nice. Went on like this for a while, then growth stopped and everything just colored up and stayed as it was which i was happy with. Tank was on autopilot as life got busy and my doser kept dosing away.. until the resovior ran out. Lost some stuff with that and recovered. Left for military training for about 3 weeks and there was a large storm at home day 3 of being gone. Power was out at our house for 3 days. My girlfriend rented a generator and hooked it all up day 2 of power being out (we live in the city, so very strange it was out that long) and unfortunately the heaters brought the tank right back to the temp they needed to be.. in about 3 hours. Between the power outage and the rise in temp i lost my maxima clam, and the increased nutrients and stuff from that caused a slew of other issues with the tank before i got home from out of country. Shut the tank down and transferred everything to a RSM c-130 for temporary housing as i rebooted the reefer 250.

Finally we are caught up to today! Sorry for the long read. I type a lot and my posts get wordy and (eventually) picture heavy. 

• Like 2

After a long time planning and organizing, I am finally breaking the 100 gallon barrier. I am a realistic man, and this will probably be my last tank atleast for some time as im sure Ill end up having kids in the next few years. Anyways, here we go!

I have purchased everything below, and only need 1 or 2 things for the build to be complete. Still waiting on some equipment though so not going to be picture heavy right away.

Tank - Custom 125 gallon tank from SC Aquariums and matching stand. 48"x30"x20", starphire 3 sides, eurobraced, drilled for reef savvy ghost overflow.
Sump - 40 Breeder with baffles. Originally made at SWE.  Managed to find a brand new reef synergy cl-34 sump for half price so i picked that up.
Skimmer - BK mini 180 gen 3
Return - RO Varios 6 DC pump
Lighting - 2 GHL Mitras LX7's
Rock - 30 lbs dry fiji from brs, 50lbs dry from reefcleaners, 20 lbs pukani dry from brs
Sand - 90 lbs Tropic eden reef flakes
Neptune apex classic
Neptune Dos
Tunze ato
4 MP40 to be controlled with apex wxm

I am not going to be doing an SPS tank, but it will have some sps. Likely i will focus lps and anemones to be honest, but will have 5-10 select sps pieces in as well.

livestock (so far)
1 old ass clownfish (had her for about 8 years through various tanks)
1 Six line wrasse (will NOT be moving with to the new tank. Shes not a nice fish.)
1 purple dottyback
1 Female Bellus Angelfish.

Planned livestock
1 Tomini Tang/Kole tang

1 Sailfin tang
Midas blenny pair

Lawnmower blenny
2 Black cap basslets OR 4-6 Royal Grammas
1 Yellow wrasse Halichoeres chrysus
1 Radiant Wrasse (Halichoeres iridis)
1 Red lined Wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus)

6 minutes ago, dirtrider225 said:

Photos wont display. Ill have to work on that when i have more time.

Upload to imgur and then paste direct link :) 

3 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Upload to imgur and then paste direct link :) 

Didnt realize nanoreef would imbed imgur photos! Thats cool!

• Like 2

Update:

Received reef savvy ghost overflow

Have 4 mp40's for flow

tank and stand arrive march 20th

Aquascape (Mostly) settled on

Just a waiting game now!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dirtrider225 said:

Arriving soon!

IMG_3983.jpg

ughhhhhhhhhhhhh i want this tank so badly!!! ive been getting quotes for these exact dimensions. you bought the exact build i want. let us know what you think of the tank when you get it!! 

as for your stocking list... every thing looks good but keep in my those lightnong maroons get really territorial. if you really want one i would put it in as one of your last fish. i have 2 and im tempted to change them for some regular snowflakes.

how many bulbs is your hybrid fixture???? i have a 4 bulb with 6 led pendents. whats really stopping me is i dont want to invest in such a wide tank and then have to invest in a new light as well. keep us posted!!

7 hours ago, d_adler said:

ughhhhhhhhhhhhh i want this tank so badly!!! ive been getting quotes for these exact dimensions. you bought the exact build i want. let us know what you think of the tank when you get it!! 

as for your stocking list... every thing looks good but keep in my those lightnong maroons get really territorial. if you really want one i would put it in as one of your last fish. i have 2 and im tempted to change them for some regular snowflakes.

how many bulbs is your hybrid fixture???? i have a 4 bulb with 6 led pendents. whats really stopping me is i dont want to invest in such a wide tank and then have to invest in a new light as well. keep us posted!!

To me the dimensions seem perfect. The only change i would do without seeing it yet is maybe doing 21 or 22 inches high. After the eurobracing and overflow the water level will be roughly 18 inches or so. Then add an inch or 2 of sand and its even shallower which is nice but a little more shallow then i was hoping for during the design phase. Just an oversight on my part :)

My stock list has definitely changed since the original post and i should update the first page of the build a bit, thanks for pointing that out for me. Lightning maroons are a no go unless my clown croaks. Shes been with me about 8 years so once she passes ill see what i plan on doing.

I ended up selling the hybrid to a good friend that recently got into saltwater. This build will have 2 GHL Mitras LX7's leds over it. Because of how shallow the tank is and how awesome the spread is on the fixtures i am not worried that much about coverage. I can have them a bit higher over the water and it should work out okay :) I can always add a 3rd or some supplemental lighting if needed but i doubt it for what i want to do coral wise.

21 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

SEXXXXXYYYYY

Thank you! I will be uploading photos and keeping this thread more up to date now that everything is confirmed! Hopefully i can get the success youve been having recently!

Some quick and dirty photos but it's finally here!! IMG_20180412_113551.jpgIMG_20180412_114809.jpgIMG_20180412_113929.jpg

IMO, your current lighting will likely be fine.  Hell, I went with the same lighting I had on my 40g, which is a ATI hybrid 4xT5.. I've contemplated so many times about upgrading but after getting some par numbers I was totally fine with it.  I have the fixture 7 inches above the rim.  With the amount of leds you have, I think you'll be fine.  

On 4/13/2018 at 9:47 PM, Asureef said:

IMO, your current lighting will likely be fine.  Hell, I went with the same lighting I had on my 40g, which is a ATI hybrid 4xT5.. I've contemplated so many times about upgrading but after getting some par numbers I was totally fine with it.  I have the fixture 7 inches above the rim.  With the amount of leds you have, I think you'll be fine.  

A friend of mine actually bought the t5 hybrid, This build will start with 2 ghl mitras lx7's and as it progresses Ill buy a third or something as needed. Maybe an LED bar or the aquatic life t5 fixutre. But I think it is unlikely that I will need additional lighting

Decided to lay out my rock and see what I liked in the tank, keep in mind there will be roughly 2 inches of sand as well. Unfortunately the tank was chipped in transit on the front bottom left corner, so SC Aquariums is sending me a brand new one. It wont be here until July however :(

IMG_20180425_181357.jpg

IMG_20180425_181424.jpg

IMG_20180425_181405.jpg

IMG_20180425_181414.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Wheres the chip? Ill take the tank 😎

9 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Wheres the chip? Ill take the tank 😎

Front left bottom corner! I'm in Minnesota so come pick it up! It's honestly probably fine but he's sending me a brand new one so I'll just wait for that one.

Great customer service from Steve!

IMG_20180421_215303.jpg

IMG_20180421_215310.jpg

IMG_20180422_100938.jpg

IMG_20180421_215315.jpg

10 minutes ago, dirtrider225 said:

Front left bottom corner! I'm in Minnesota so come pick it up! It's honestly probably fine but he's sending me a brand new one so I'll just wait for that one.

Great customer service from Steve!

IMG_20180421_215303.jpg

IMG_20180421_215310.jpg

IMG_20180422_100938.jpg

IMG_20180421_215315.jpg

Man if I was closer I would totally take you up on that! A bit of glass to reinforce that inner corner, some superglue, tada perfect tank. I wonder how much shipping would be xD 

• Like 1

This build is being canceled. Second display from SCAquariums arrived July 02 and it was also damaged .I will make a new thread IF/when i get a new tank as that would be easier than editing everything and such. Still trying to get a refund from SCAquariums as i am not waiting on a Third display to be delivered.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, dirtrider225 said:

This build is being canceled. Second display from SCAquariums arrived July 02 and it was also damaged .I will make a new thread IF/when i get a new tank as that would be easier than editing everything and such. Still trying to get a refund from SCAquariums as i am not waiting on a Third display to be delivered.

That sucks. Is the packaging insufficient or was the box abused? 

3 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

That sucks. Is the packaging insufficient or was the box abused? 

Packaging seems not quite up to par. Hardpacked cardboard, on a pallet with some styrophoam inside teh cardboard. The box doesnt even say fragile..... anywhere. I am just ready to be done with this nightmare right now. There is a elos 120xl and a miracles tank locally i might take a look at but im likely not going to pay for the cost of a custom tank at this time if i even go through with upgrading to a larger tank at all. But i have all the equipment already for the build so im sure ill talk myself into it

I did receive my refund from Steve so All is good on that front!

• Like 1

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions