SaltCritters.com

Algae ID

sammieSQL

Is there a thread to discuss the different types of algae? I searched, but I couldn't find anything.

I have a bushy clump of algae in my tank and I can't find any info on it. At first it looked like general hair algae, but it's not slimy. It looks like normal health plant growth. Now it has stalks that almost resemble a birds feather. When I try to remove it from the feather duster it's overtaken, it's thick and heavy and rooted. I think I want to keep it - and trim it back. I don't know what it is. It has tiny bugs all through it, and the emerald crabs live in it.

Any ideas? I'll post a picture later.

Sounds like bryopsis, which in my opinion would be preferable over  GHA(green hair algae) as fluconazole murders bryopsis effortlessly.  If it is contained to a single location within the tank removal of that item and intensive cleaning/hydrogen peroxide treatments may be all you need, however in my experience that allows said algae to return eventually and potentially in other places as spores spread through the water column and root in new spots.  Keeping a pest algae in place by trimming WILL allow it to spread I would take caution as these things tend to take over and can be a real downer

• Like 1