inTank Media Baskets

Kent Marine salt and borderline low alk

twowilldo

In a Spec V, zoas only. Currently zoas only, a total of 12 small frags of various varieties.

I am buying mixed SW from local LFS. They use Kent Marine salt, which I tested with my Red Sea kit. Alk has consistently been 7, pH is 8.0 and SG is 1.025.

Noticed a few zoas weren't opening as wide so tested the tank and alk was down to 5. I don't have a calcium test kit, I didn't think I needed one for softies. Should I get one anyway or waste of money? One follows the other, correct?

Did a 25% change, waited a few hours, tested again for a result of 6. Also nitrates are 1, pH is 8.0, SG is 1.025 and other tests were all zero, ammonia, nitrite and phosphate.

A trusted reef friend told me to keep the alk between 7-9 for best results for zoas, this is what she does and hers are really beautiful.

I guess I should do what... buy my own salt with a higher alk result or ? 

Thanks so much for your insights.

1 hour ago, twowilldo said:

I guess I should do what... buy my own salt with a higher alk result or ?

Test your tank parameters right after you do your normal waterchange. Test daily, at the same time of day for the next 5-7 days documenting your results. Now you have a baseline for your tanks consumption. Use the reef calculator and determine how much 2 part will be needed to achieve your parameters. If your Alk number target is higher than your fresh water, you must dose it before you do your water change. I have found that a steady number is better than chasing a target number. 

7 is not a bad Alk number, as long as Calcium and Magnesium numbers follow suit ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Test the mixed saltwater

Test right after your weekly water change.

Test everyday.

This will determine if your tank has consumption of alk or the salt has low alk.

I test ca 1 time a week and alk 2 -3 times a week.

Normal alk is 7-11. Stability is key.

5 is too low.