Horsey_Cat

GSP releasing something into the water?

I just got some metallic GSP today. Its been in my tank for about 8 hours now, and its not open (not a huge surprise there). I was just looking at it, and something started streaming out of it. It was like a fluid of sorts that dissipated into the water? Is this potentially a bad thing, or normal behavior?

Hmmm. Never seen anything like that. What color? Could there be something else hidden in there?

Its not out of the realm of possibility for GSP to expel zooxanthellae, or even waste, I suppose.... I've just never witnessed it, myself.

2 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Hmmm. Never seen anything like that. What color? Could there be something else hidden in there?

Its not out of the realm of possibility for GSP to expel zooxanthellae, or even waste, I suppose.... I've just never witnessed it, myself.

Im pretty sure it was dark and stringy, but it wasn't solid because it just dissipated in the water

Well, I'm not really sure what to say. GSP has what I would assume to be a mouth. Though, I'm not entirely sure, as it seems more like a point at which each of the 8 parts meet at the center of the polyp. If it is indeed a mouth, then either zooxanthellae, or waste can be expelled from it. However, I would assume the polyp would have to be open to do so. Note, I said assume.

So, what we can say for sure. A dark, kinda stringy wisp came out of a closed colony of GSP. Was this at, or near the edge of the frag? Was it from just one polyp? Is there a possibility of another animal being hidden among the polyps? Something like a vermatid snail, or spinoid worm, anything the coral could have grown over/around?

13 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Well, I'm not really sure what to say. GSP has what I would assume to be a mouth. Though, I'm not entirely sure, as it seems more like a point at which each of the 8 parts meet at the center of the polyp. If it is indeed a mouth, then either zooxanthellae, or waste can be expelled from it. However, I would assume the polyp would have to be open to do so. Note, I said assume.

So, what we can say for sure. A dark, kinda stringy wisp came out of a closed colony of GSP. Was this at, or near the edge of the frag? Was it from just one polyp? Is there a possibility of another animal being hidden among the polyps? Something like a vermatid snail, or spinoid worm, anything the coral could have grown over/around?

The GSP is on a frag plug. When I was it happen it was towards the edge of it, but it looks like it was coming out of where a polyp would be. Is it possible there is an animal it in, I suppose. But I had a pretty good view of the small 1" frag when it was closed and I couldn't see anything moving in it. Today the GSP is open, although Im not sure if its 100% or not. Either way nothing seems off in my tank, everything looks pretty healthy and behaving as normal.

I will occasionally see puff of "pollution" coming out of my LR, but as you said I assume that is just something expelling waste that is living inside my LR.