emkop

emkop's IM 10G Fusion nano reef

emkop   

Hi all, I have decided to attempt to document my 10 gallon IM nano reef journey.  I have been in the fish keeping hobby for 9 years now but only have been keeping reef tanks for about 3 years with my 65 gallon reef. I wish I had documented the process of building that tank as it has changed so much since ive had it, but anyway The other week my lfs had the innovative marine 10g 20g and drop off all 20% off, I ended up pulling the trigger on the 10 gallon as I was not allowed to have any thing else bigger in my room (its the fourth tank) and I plan on taking it off to college with me next year. I am excited to start this tank off from scratch and will not be carrying anything over from my larger system as it has had its fair share of battles with ich in the last few years. As of now I only have the tank, skyye light, spin stream, heater, and fish guard. Im looking into getting an ato but other then that plan on keeping things as simple as possible. 

In terms of fish I am limited in the 65 as I have a golden dwarf moray eel who I am afraid would make lunch out of any small fish so I am hoping to keep some smaller fish in the 10. 

I am choosing between the following fish: (I'm curious as to how many you guys think I could keep and in what combinations, obviously there isnt space for all of them)

Midas Blenny

Pictus Blenny

red sea mimic blenny (would be tough to find)

Pygmy Hawkfish

Pink Streaked Wrasse

Helfrichi Firefish 

greenbanded goby

assessor

tail spot blenny

blackfoot clownfish (I fear a pair would dominate the tank, have people found that to be true for one lone one as well?)

cherub angel

Sorry for the long post, I have been reading on here for hours gaining inspiration from the other tanks.

20170916_150352

20170916_151827

20170916_155506_HDR

Clown79   

I have 2 clowns in my 10g im.

I wouldn't advise on fish that need lots of swimming room, very territorial,  and stick to small fish.

Lula_Mae   

I'm not sure about some of the fish you've listed, but ones that have been successfully kept in this tank by other N-R members are the pink-streaked wrasse, clowns, green banded goby and tailspot blenny.  @gena actually has a pair of clowns, PSW and GBG in her IM10 which was a down-size from her 20g drop-off.  I second what clown said, stick to small fish that won't be really territorial or need lots of swimming room. :welcome: to Nano-Reef!

• Like 2

emkop   

Thank you for the warm welcome. I definitely want to avoid a pair of clowns. The tank has cleared up, I have been soaking some old live rock that had dried out for the last week or so and will probably add it tonight or tomorrow so I can start the cycle asap.

• Like 1

emkop   

So on Tuesday of last week I added my old now dead live rock that I had been soaking for a week. Overall I really like the hight of the scape.  Ive been periodically ghost feeding a little but do not know the "best" way to cycle this tank. ATO is coming on the 27th with a bunch of other smaller things.

20170924_110417

oh and here are a few pictures from the larger reef which is currently fighting ich but hanging in there.

20170925_213123

20170925_213208

Use a small raw piece of shrimp. You can leave it in the tank for a couple of days to start the cycle. Once you notice the ammonia spike, the process has started. 

emkop   

So the box of goodies came the other day.  I managed to set up the ato and it seems to be running functionally. 

20170926_192244

some of the stuff like the spin stream and second ato is for my dad who is also setting up a fusion 10 in his office. The carbon and heater are for my freshwater tanks.

• Like 1

Love the scape. Love these little tanks. What are your plans for filtration? I had a cherub angel in mine and he was to much for the bio-load (thats with a skimmer and a refugium). Love to see how this tanks comes along!

• Like 1

emkop   
7 hours ago, 1967type1 said:

Love the scape. Love these little tanks. What are your plans for filtration? I had a cherub angel in mine and he was to much for the bio-load (thats with a skimmer and a refugium). Love to see how this tanks comes along!

Im honestly not to sure about what I plan on using. I have a bunch of chemipure blue for chemical filtration. The filter sock that came with it seems to clog pretty frequently. Not sure about whether I should build my own rack to hold a sponge and the chemipure or buy one. I do plan on stocking kinda heavily or maybe just one nice fish. I could always move a fish into my larger tank if needed. I dont really want a skimmer, I have run my larger reef for years without one; I also want to try and keep thing slow maintenance. But any suggestions would be appreciated. I could maybe do a refugium in the back middle chamber.....

In my IM 10 I have their custom filter rack where I have chemipure elite filter floss and I'm also tuning a refugium with macro algae. In the second chamber I'm running the ghost skimmer. My water is crystal clear and it isn't that much work once you get the skimmer broken in.  

emkop   

okay thanks ill look into the ghost skimmer. There is definitely part of me that wants to go all out with the top end equipment like for example an mp10 and a nicer light with skimmer, media reactor and refugium. However, I also have to consider the fact that I will have to breakdown the tank and carry it with me to school and I want it to be super simple and cheap. Ive looked at both IM and inTank's media baskets, any significant differences other than price?

Probably not much difference and by no means am I saying you need a skimmer I just wanted to go all out with this tank. I do love my little refugium though. And I wouldn't spend the money on a mp10 they are nice but not worth the money for a tank like this in my opinion.

You mentioned that you and your dad are both setting up the same tanks at the same time?  That must be super fun!

• Like 1

emkop   

1 hour ago, TatorTaco said:

You mentioned that you and your dad are both setting up the same tanks at the same time?  That must be super fun!

Yes it is really fun and it saves some money as we can split some of the costs. He also has a 90 gallon reef and 75 gallon freshwater tank. I have a 65 gallon reef, 45 gallon freshwater and 16 gallon freshwater tank so there are lots of tanks in the house.

• Like 1

emkop   

Long overdue update. First fish is in! One of my LFS had their anniversary sale this weekend and I saw this midas blenny and could not say no. He is kinda shy but I added the barnacle for it to hide in but probably will eventually remove it.  I also got some macro algae for some color before i start adding corals. Still am unsure of what corals I want to do.

FTS 10/15/17 (only smartphone pictures)

20171015_210222_HDR20171015_211724_HDR

20171015_210621_HDR

20171015_210310

• Like 1

Big Al's anniversary sale? Are you based or if the GTA?

emkop   
1 hour ago, Angry-Monkey said:

Big Al's anniversary sale? Are you based or if the GTA?

House of Fins in Greenwhich CT. Im not sure I understand your second question?

Haha, nevermind. A chain of LFS just had their anniversary sales in the area so i thought you might be from the area.