ReefCleaners.org

Fluval Sea EVO 13.5 - First Saltwater tank

aerotiy

I attempted to fix my DIY mesh screen and just screwed it up some more and it bothers me every time I look at it so I ordered a custom made acrylic/mesh Octo Lid from Octoaquatics! Super excited :D his work looks great and I get a feed door back so no more tearing the tank apart twice a day haha

EE1A4EB9-CEEB-4566-B735-AF3C0B5F6420.jpeg

FF738853-C044-4B69-95D7-4921847861EF.jpeg

And to think this started out as a $150 tank ?

• Like 1

I love it the effects are great and the corals all look good (except the candy cane which is giving me mixed signals). But only time will really tell. I just didn’t like the stock Fluval light not having any sort of timer function and the timers I was looking at wouldn’t be able to simulate a moonlight cycle too. Plus the marine orbit was relatively inexpensive and came with a wave maker and control system

• Like 1
1 minute ago, aerotiy said:

I love it the effects are great and the corals all look good (except the candy cane which is giving me mixed signals). But only time will really tell. I just didn’t like the stock Fluval light not having any sort of timer function and the timers I was looking at wouldn’t be able to simulate a moonlight cycle too. Plus the marine orbit was relatively inexpensive and came with a wave maker and control system

with a wave maker? what?!

4 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

with a wave maker? what?!

Yes haha a 660 gph eFlux that connects to their loop system and lets you control flow, frequency, and different modes. I actually picked up the exact same power head while I was buying the light and it wasn’t until I got home that I realized the light already came with one

• Wow 1
26 minutes ago, aerotiy said:

Yes haha a 660 gph eFlux that connects to their loop system and lets you control flow, frequency, and different modes. I actually picked up the exact same power head while I was buying the light and it wasn’t until I got home that I realized the light already came with one

Where did you get the light from?

35 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

Where did you get the light from?

I got it at my LFS. I remember seeing the package online and it took me a really long time to find this link because I just got it 3 days ago but looks like the deal has been discontinued :( but maybe your LFS has some in stock like mine did!

https://www.marinedepot.com/18_24_Inch_Current_USA_Orbit_Marine_IC_LED_Aquarium_Light_w_Free_Wave_Pump_and_Manifold_Hub_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-Current_USA-CU04104-FILTFILD-vi.html

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

what will you use instead?

I meant I have so much that I won't need to buy any more for a long time lol

At least I think :blink: It's my first time using it, I don't know how quickly it goes

12 hours ago, aerotiy said:

I meant I have so much that I won't need to buy any more for a long time lol

At least I think :blink: It's my first time using it, I don't know how quickly it goes

I usually change mine 2-3week - it depends; you can tell when it's time because it will start to brown. I have mine placed on the topmost part of the InTank basket on chamber 1.

This is the one I use and it lasts me a while

Sera filter wool

• Thanks 1

I moved the knopia down lower when it first started looking unwell but it seems we have gone much further downhill. I just got home and the water looks murky and I have no idea why. Red zoas on top of rock also seem to be doing poorly. About to head to the LFS for some saltwater hoping a water change will help.. only thing that’s changed is the new filter media and basket.

AB91890F-7E85-410D-963F-31B3EE401F6E.jpeg

36D5715D-7E47-408F-B1F8-A0C18A622A4F.jpeg

GSP and green zoos look good

BB32E589-8B59-4649-9AB8-839E6ED55E1B.jpeg

D0B88BB1-5FFA-4DD1-9B41-0E552948594E.jpeg

I tried scraping this green stuff off rock last night and it wasn’t budging so I don’t know... this has gotten stressful quite quickly. All my parameters tested fine the other day I don’t know what’s wrong :(

1F6CF636-41A5-42FA-8D35-EED460680D20.jpeg

I think the green on the rocks is just the rocks getting coloration; my plain white rocks went through the same; eventually it turned into coralline algae.

What is your water change schedule like? I would test the LFS saltwater too.

9 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

I think the green on the rocks is just the rocks getting coloration; my plain white rocks went through the same; eventually it turned into coralline algae.

What is your water change schedule like? I would test the LFS saltwater too.

I’m hoping that the green is coralline.. it’s pink/red in some spots so maybe. If that’s the case then wouldn’t that mean my water chemistry is good enough to support coral life? I read coralline needs pretty much perfect conditions. 

1 hour ago, aerotiy said:

I’m hoping that the green is coralline.. it’s pink/red in some spots so maybe. If that’s the case then wouldn’t that mean my water chemistry is good enough to support coral life? I read coralline needs pretty much perfect conditions. 

Maybe it's a lighting/flow issue. maybe.

36 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

Maybe it's a lighting/flow issue. maybe.

Took some water to the store and had them test it and asked for their thoughts on what could be wrong... the lady said that knopia is usually pretty hardy and my water tested perfect so she wasn’t sure what the problem is. She told me to dip the corals and use a turkey baster to blow any algae/detritus off. About to do that now along with a 2 gal water change

I use Lugol's iodine to dip ailing corals, 1-2 drops of Lugol's to a cup of tank water for 3-5 minutes.  If something doesn't like where you've put it, try a different spot and give it a few days.  Could anything be bothering them?  And the green on your rocks is ok, I believe Lugmos is correct that it's a sort of coralline.

8 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I use Lugol's iodine to dip ailing corals, 1-2 drops of Lugol's to a cup of tank water for 3-5 minutes.  If something doesn't like where you've put it, try a different spot and give it a few days.  Could anything be bothering them?  And the green on your rocks is ok, I believe Lugmos is correct that it's a sort of coralline.

I used Coral RX, 8 capfuls in 2 gallons of tank water I was removing. I swished them around for 30 seconds or so and then let them sit for 10 minutes. Candy cane is still angry, green zoos are mostly angry but opening again, and the knopia still looks like it's on its way out. What're the pros/cons of the coral rx vs lugol's if you don't mind me asking

24 minutes ago, aerotiy said:

I used Coral RX, 8 capfuls in 2 gallons of tank water I was removing. I swished them around for 30 seconds or so and then let them sit for 10 minutes. Candy cane is still angry, green zoos are mostly angry but opening again, and the knopia still looks like it's on its way out. What're the pros/cons of the coral rx vs lugol's if you don't mind me asking

I've never used coral rx so I'm honestly not sure.  I wonder if coral rx actually has Lugol's in it?  Give it some time, after a dip things can still look pretty rough for a few days.  I'd put it in a lower-flow spot and just give it some time.

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I've never used coral rx so I'm honestly not sure.  I wonder if coral rx actually has Lugol's in it?  Give it some time, after a dip things can still look pretty rough for a few days.  I'd put it in a lower-flow spot and just give it some time.

Thanks for the info. I’ll continue keeping this thread updated!

• Like 2

Out of the darkness, two knopia polyps rise....

4B97F1BE-5CC9-4D0B-A38F-F1E2D7927C53.jpeg

My red and green zoos look like they’re moving into my rock ? and candy cane looking good! I have my gsp on the frag plug glued to a little rock on the sand bed where I want it to stay. Anyone think it’ll grow downward?

29AA3EF2-E622-4533-B0C7-6F59493ECAD8.jpeg

39B49C41-E4A6-44D2-BB1A-42B8A5EF3BA3.jpeg

• Like 1