Coral Vue Hydros

Penny's Planted Pursuit

Pjanssen

I started documenting this build/rebuild on the "Show off your Freshwater!" thread, but then realized it should have it's own thread. So for the sake of documentation, the beginning of this will just be a recap of what I've already posted in the other thread.

This tank started off looking like this. Up and running for probably 15 years with little attention or maintenance. It was originally put in place to hide the poorly made ledge that it sits on.

36297424001_4ba8f42121_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 4

I finally got around to draining it a few weeks ago. When we removed the tank from the ledge a big chunk of drywall came up so had to be repaired.

Cleaned it with white vinegar, then peroxide, and one more wipe down with vinegar. The fish, 3 Gouramis, a shark and a cory have been swimming around in a clear plastic storage bin. Hurricane Irma came along and things got put on hold.

But now this is happening. Painted one end black.

36471442133_f57251cf66_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

Made a 2 compartment back chamber using @JoeMan02's video instruction

36451968594_75384449bd_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

36478032113_3aebd15f16_z.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

Realized after gluing it into the tank I forgot to put a hole in for the return pump. Still have to figure out how I'm going to do that.

• Like 3

Did a water test of the back compartment this morning and it failed! Stopped at Petco on the way to work to pick up some silicone. Will re caulk in a little bit. I'm also to the point of deciding what kind of substrate to use. I originally had planned on using organic fertilized potting soil but just read something about it causing ammonia spikes and hard cycle. So then I decided to spend the money on Eco Complete, but the kid at the register at Petco said he had issues with pH when he used it. I see a lot of people use sand, but I didn't think it had any nutrients in it and would be too compact for roots to attach to.

4 minutes ago, vlangel said:

How many gallons is this tank?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Did a water test of the back compartment this morning and it failed! Stopped at Petco on the way to work to pick up some silicone. Will re caulk in a little bit. I'm also to the point of deciding what kind of substrate to use. I originally had planned on using organic fertilized potting soil but just read something about it causing ammonia spikes and hard cycle. So then I decided to spend the money on Eco Complete, but the kid at the register at Petco said he had issues with pH when he used it. I see a lot of people use sand, but I didn't think it had any nutrients in it and would be too compact for roots to attach to.

I used eco complete in black mixed with black sand in my planted tank....... worked great. 

• Like 1

Layer of onyx sand, then a layer of eco complete, topped with fluorite and in spots river pebbles on top, just put those layers into my new 55 fresh on Sunday.  Eco complete alone has always worked great for me too I just broke down my 10 and reused some to alleviate cost in the 55.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Layer of onyx sand, then a layer of eco complete, topped with fluorite and in spots river pebbles on top, just put those layers into my new 55 fresh on Sunday.  Eco complete alone has always worked great for me too I just broke down my 10 and reused some to alleviate cost in the 55.

Do you have a picture of your tank? Mine is a 55 as well

6 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

It looks so different!  I really like it, can't wait to see the driftwood in there!

know, right! Can you believe it's even the same tank? I too am excited to see the driftwood in there, but want to get as much of the tannins out as possible before putting it in the tank

1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

I do love me some black substrate. That is going to look so good as it fills in. :)

Thank you Christy. I think the black was the way to go with light coming in from 3 sides. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

It's looks Great! 

You did an awesome job. Well done!!

Thanks Clown79.. I don't think I would have pursued this without your encouragement and help. Not sure why I was so hesitant though. Once I got started it was pretty easy and a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

• Like 2

A good place to get less common plants is aquariumplants.com. They sell a lot of resources for planted tanks, too.

Y'know, my planted tank could use refreshing... cause I don't have enough to do in the next month! :P

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Not sure yet, but I think I like it better without the driftwood. Ima give it some time though.

37259935582_3f91cff5c4_c.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

37242304766_816d52aa6f_c.jpgUntitled by Penny, on Flickr

I like the driftwood..... and the Gouramis.  They might be my favorite FW fish.  I had a huge Pink Kisser that died a few years ago and I was so bummed...... that was the beginning of the end of my 75 Gallon FW. 

IMG_2917.JPG

• Like 2