Do you guys know what is the best nano media bag for GFO? I have tried various and GFO tends to leak. Those low micron rating bag in the market seems to be oversized.

I use these Boyd Chemi bags with a pack of zip ties from Home Depot.  Works very well for GFO and is reusable with a quick clip of the zip tie and a rinse.  Fits perfectly on one of the trays of my BC29 media basket.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Boyd_Chemi_bags_2_pk_8.5_in_x_4.5_in_Filter_Media_Bags-Boyd_Enterprises_(Chemi_Pure)-BE2111-FIFMFB-vi.html?utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=BE2111&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2LqWq-ew1gIVx1mGCh2GnA4GEAQYASABEgIfjPD_BwE

seabass   

If not tumbling GFO in a reactor, I'd probably switch to PhosGuard.

• Like 3

TILTON   

I think it's like the size of beads.  I believe you are suppose to use a lot less though as it strips phosphates a lot more than GFO?

Just now, TILTON said:

I think it's like the size of beads.  I believe you are suppose to use a lot less though as it strips phosphates a lot more than GFO?

Not necessarily. Even seachem official website states the the effectiveness if Phosguard is lower than GFO. Seachem phosnet is simply GFO. 

TILTON   
Just now, NanoReefMinimalist said:

Not necessarily. Even seachem official website states the the effectiveness if Phosguard is lower than GFO. Seachem phosnet is simply GFO. 

But GFO has to tumble to be as effective as it could be to where phosguard doesn't.  So in a media bag, I think you would have to use more GFO than in a reactor to get the same effectiveness from it.

Just now, TILTON said:

But GFO has to tumble to be as effective as it could be to where phosguard doesn't.  So in a media bag, I think you would have to use more GFO than in a reactor to get the same effectiveness from it.

Good point. What media bag do you use?

seabass   
36 minutes ago, NanoReefMinimalist said:

Phosguard is larger in size right?

It works well in most media bags, and it doesn't clump like GFO can.  I tend to recommend it for AIO filtration or HOB power filters.

TILTON   
5 minutes ago, NanoReefMinimalist said:

Good point. What media bag do you use?

I have just been using chemipure elite and purigen in my 25 gallon.  My tank is pretty new though and I just increased my bioload so time will tell how it goes.  I also have chemipure blue I may try.  If that can't keep up I may just switch to rox and phosgaurd.  

Anybody know the depletion time between GFO and phosgaurd?

1 minute ago, TILTON said:

I have just been using chemipure elite and purigen in my 25 gallon.  My tank is pretty new though and I just increased my bioload so time will tell how it goes.  I also have chemipure blue I may try.  If that can't keep up I may just switch to rox and phosgaurd.  

I am running poly filter pad and chemipure blue right now. I guess why they came up with the new product chemipure blue is to avoid using GFO in chemipure elite. 

Do you run skimmer?

TILTON   

I am running poly filter pad and chemipure blue right now. I guess why they came up with the new product chemipure blue is to avoid using GFO in chemipure elite. 

Do you run skimmer?

Blue is chemipure elite with added purigen.  So instead of running elite and purigen separate you can just use the blue.  I have a Tunze 9001.

2 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Blue is chemipure elite with added purigen.  So instead of running elite and purigen separate you can just use the blue.  I have a Tunze 9001.

I believe blue uses some phosguard to substitute for GFO in elite. 

Is your tank IM 25. If so, how can you fit 9001?

TILTON   

I believe blue uses some phosguard to substitute for GFO in elite. 

Is your tank IM 25. If so, how can you fit 9001?

Hmm?  @StevieT can you enlighten us on the difference? 

I use 2 return pumps with straight return hose rather than 1 with a Y.  The Tunze fits perfectly between them.

IMG_1282.thumb.JPG.4317abe6461b91879acd63a0b1582129.JPG

2 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Hmm?  @StevieT can you enlighten us on the difference? 

I use 2 return pumps with straight return hose rather than 1 with a Y.  The Tunze fits perfectly between them.

IMG_1282.thumb.JPG.4317abe6461b91879acd63a0b1582129.JPG

That's where I put my ATO unit. I really like 9001 but have not figured out where to put it in my IM20.  Even if I place ATO somewhere else, I still have a bulky radion mount there. That's why I am using poly filter pad which they say is a good substitute for skimmer. 

So is there a way to put 9001 in the second chamber?

TILTON   
3 minutes ago, NanoReefMinimalist said:

That's where I put my ATO unit. I really like 9001 but have not figured out where to put it in my IM20.  Even if I place ATO somewhere else, I still have a bulky radion mount there. That's why I am using poly filter pad which they say is a good substitute for skimmer. 

So is there a way to put 9001 in the second chamber?

No, it would not fit.  I use the autoaqua smart ato micro.  It's the size of a quarter.

IMG_1374.thumb.JPG.f531f7d80b2931d482486a4763693ab2.JPG

1 minute ago, TILTON said:

No, it would not fit.  I use the autoaqua smart ato micro.  It's the size of a quarter.

I heard about that. I use TUNZE nano. 

Currently I simply do weekly water change and poly filter pad to substitute for a skimmer and dosing. But I do want a skimmer in the long-term. Changing water is a pain....

They say a lot of bad things about ghost skimmer. 

TILTON   

I heard about that. I use TUNZE nano. 

Currently I simply do weekly water change and poly filter pad to substitute for a skimmer and dosing. But I do want a skimmer in the long-term. Changing water is a pain....

They say a lot of bad things about ghost skimmer. 

I still do my weekly water changes.  I am not sure about the ghost skimmer.  I knew I wanted a Tunze though.  It also lets me use the smaller chambers for my probes and dosing lines.  I am doing sps dominant tank so I want the best out of my filtration that I can get.

StevieT   

Blue uses something for phosphates Boyd claims to be proprietary instead of using GFO as in Elite. It's different than Phosguard.  Blue also has a Purigen like absorber which are the white pellets.

Good stuff.  Makes pretty wet water And may cure cancer faster than Elite. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StevieT said:

Blue uses something for phosphates Boyd claims to be proprietary instead of using GFO as in Elite. It's different than Phosguard.  Blue also has a Purigen like absorber which are the white pellets.

Good stuff.  Makes pretty wet water And may cure cancer faster than Elite. 

So blue does remove phosphate?

StevieT   

So blue does remove phosphate?

Yes