Cultivated Reef

How often should I clean the pump?

aerotiy

Hello, I've had my tank running for a few weeks now and things are going good. I have a Fluval Sea Evo 13.5 gallon - there is a small pump that sits in the back which returns the filtered water to the display area.

I've noticed that this pump has a coating of white stuff on top and around the floor of it that I am assuming is calcium precipitation from the heat generated by the pump.

It's covering the entire top and bottom area. My research has led me to the conclusion that I will need to eventually soak the pump and protein skimmer in a vinegar solution to dissolve this build up. My question is how often should this be done? Is this covering it has on it really bad?  I attached the best picture I could take of it. Thanks!

IMG_6206.JPG

12 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

I clean my pumps once every 4-6 months.

Ok that's not bad. So the picture I have doesn't look too crazy? I'm still new and learning so I don't know when it's a lot or just normal

What kind of salt mix are you using?  That looks like a lot of precipitation.  It may not be bad for the pump, but still seems excessive for only a few weeks.  It looks like it may not be precipitation but possibly settled silt if your system is new and you didn't rinse the sand.  (appears to be settling from above as opposed to caking on as it would if precipitated)

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, holy carp said:

What kind of salt mix are you using?  That looks like a lot of precipitation.  It may not be bad for the pump, but still seems excessive for only a few weeks.  It looks like it may not be precipitation but possibly settled silt if your system is new and you didn't rinse the sand.  (appears to be settling from above as opposed to caking on as it would if precipitated)

Hmm yeah maybe settled silt makes more sense, I used Caribsea live sand and didn't rinse it just let the water clear on its own. I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro salt, mixing for about 45 minutes until it's clear before putting it in.

Yeah.  if the salt mixes clear, then my money is on silt from the sand.  You can confirm by squirting it with a turkey baster to see if it's loose.  I'd feel compelled to clean it, but it does no harm sitting there, it's just cosmetic.

FWIW, I also only clean my pump with vinegar once every 6-12 months. 

• Thanks 1

I actually "clean" my return pump every water change. Not deep clean with vinegar but take it out of the chamber and take off the cover to rinse the build up in the sponge that protects the impeller from debris coming through the intake. I will also pull out the impeller and give it a quick scrub. It seems to help the pumps overall performance and only takes 2-3 minutes. I've also begun cleaning my power heads every 1-2 months.  Again, not a deep cleaning with a vinegar bath, but there is a notable difference in the amount of flow before and after cleaning.  

And ya, I'd definitely say that's silt from the sand. I used the same sand and had the dust bowl effect every time I touched the sand for a few months after initial set up. It does get better though. 

• Like 1
On 9/18/2017 at 2:38 PM, aerotiy said:

Hello, I've had my tank running for a few weeks now and things are going good. I have a Fluval Sea Evo 13.5 gallon - there is a small pump that sits in the back which returns the filtered water to the display area.

I've noticed that this pump has a coating of white stuff on top and around the floor of it that I am assuming is calcium precipitation from the heat generated by the pump.

It's covering the entire top and bottom area. My research has led me to the conclusion that I will need to eventually soak the pump and protein skimmer in a vinegar solution to dissolve this build up. My question is how often should this be done? Is this covering it has on it really bad?  I attached the best picture I could take of it. Thanks!

IMG_6206.JPG

That is definitely silt from your sand, I have experienced this many times when I don't rinse my sand.  It gets better as time goes by because the bacteria latches on to this stuff and it stays in your sand bed.

• Thanks 1