Pod Your Reef

CAD Lights Zen 7 Gallon Adventure ~ Tonyb292

Tonyb292

Established: September, 3rd 2017 ~ Transferred from an IM10 that was running for over a year!

FTS: 09/16/2017

20170916_191052.thumb.jpg.721515aa88d133a43e6f91c0d144dee6.jpg

Equipment List:

CAD Lights 7 Gallon Zen Series ~ Main Tank

CAD Lights 5 Gallon Zen Series ~ Sump

Kessil A80 Tuna Blue w/Controller Nanobox Tide Plus M - Black Hosing/Purple Lid/Blackout Screws

Sicce 1.5 return pump ~ Lowest Setting

Xaqua in/out overflow

Tunze Osmolater Nano ATO ~ IceCap ATO 

Cobalt Neo-Therm 50 Watt Heater

Reefkeeper Lite - Control Heater, Refug Light, Return Pump and ATO for standby mode

Chaeto/Sand/Rubble in the fuge

Carib Sea - Special Grade Reef Sand ~ 10 lbs

BRS 75 Gallon 4 Stage RODI System w/Booster Pump

Self Built Stand

Fish:

1 - Picasso Clown ~ I personally think it looks more like a Platinum  

Inverts:

Green/Purple Rock Anemone 

Snails (Dwarf Cerith and Nassarius)

2 - Blue Leg Hermit Crabs

Corals:

Favia

Blasto

Ricordia Florida Mushrooms/Yumas

GSP

Zoas and Palys

Torch Coral

Nanobox Light Settings:(still playing around with these) 

Morning - 60% - Royal Blue, Violet, Blue/Cyan         10% - White/Lime ( 60 Minute Ramp, 120 Length )

Midday  - 80% - Royal Blue, Violet, Blue/Cyan          20% - White/Lime ( 60 Minute Ramp )

Evening  - 80% - Royal Blue, Violet, Blue/Cyan         10% - White/Lime( 60 Minute Ramp, 120 Length )

Night  - 0% all channels

Overall Length - Nine Hours

Tank History:

I just recently sold my house and moved to a 2 bedroom apartment and thought about switching from an IM10 to something with a sump.  On a local reefer forum, I saw someone selling the two CAD Light tanks for super cheap as they upgraded to a IM25 drop off tank.  I thought it was the perfect time to switch over to these...don't get me wrong....I loved the IM10, but wanted something a little wider instead of taller.  

Before the move I decided to buy a Royal Gramma ("Poppy Fish") for my 2 and half year old daughter (she loves the movie Trolls) and without quarantining the fish it brought something into the tank that killed my Frostbite Clown that I had for ages and the Gramma.  So this new CAD Light setup was completing new minus the live rock and coral.  So far, as of early September, I can't complain on the system setup.  I decided to upgrade to a Nanobox Tide Plus M, because I heard super good things about the lights; and I thought the Kessil A80 w Controller was just a little under powered.  I know that might be crazy with the coral I have in the tank, but this leaves me room to get coral with higher lighting demands in my book :) 

Maintenance:

Weekly Water Change ~ 2 Gallons mixed with Fritz Salt (1.025)

Dosing Kalk in my 2.5 Gallon ATO 

Scrub the Algae Off the Tank

• Like 3

Thanks!  Will do on the coral pics; just need to bust out the SLR camera.  I'm trying to let them adjust a bit since I just upgraded to the new light.  Everything seems to be doing well though.  

The only thing I don't like about the new setup is the sand I choose FIJI PINK ARAG-ALIVE! REEF SAND.  If I have the return feed pointing anywhere towards the bottom it kicks up sand, hence the reason I'm thinking about downgrading to a smaller return pump.  I'm thinking about taking it out and putting something a little more heavier in...I'm just afraid it will cause a bacteria bloom or something funny in the tank.  I know I just put the sand in, does anyone think I could get away with a sand change now?

You could always switch pumps. As foe the sand,switch them out now while the tank is still new instead of waiting. You shoukdnt have a problem besides a cloudy tank. 

• Thanks 1

Nice to see my old tank up and running!!  How is it working out?  How do you like the tide?  I'm contemplating putting a duo plus m over my drop off instead of the kessil (i want more control over the light).

• Like 2

:D  I'm glad you found the thread!  Loving the tanks thanks so much for the push to be back at a sump again! 

I just changed out the Fiji Pink sand for some special grade sand to see if that helps with the sand moving around too much with the Sicce 1.5 return pump.  Now trying to get the rocks in the same formation I had before the sand change is a little challenging :)

On 9/18/2017 at 6:43 PM, Archetype said:

Nice to see my old tank up and running!!  How is it working out?  How do you like the tide?  I'm contemplating putting a duo plus m over my drop off instead of the kessil (i want more control over the light).

Quick question for you Archetype or anyone that had one of these, when you had these running did you get a loud gurgle sound coming from the Xaqua in/out overflow?  It sounds like it's coming from the drain and not the return. 

From what I read on them everyone says they are super silent....was just wondering what I was doing wrong :)

14 minutes ago, Tonyb292 said:

Quick question for you Archetype or anyone that had one of these, when you had these running did you get a loud gurgle sound coming from the Xaqua in/out overflow?  It sounds like it's coming from the drain and not the return. 

From what I read on them everyone says they are super silent....was just wondering what I was doing wrong :)

I did notice that the overflow cover looks like it's on sideways...maybe I'll try to switch vertically like I see in every other photo of these things and see if it helps.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
2 hours ago, Tonyb292 said:

I did notice that the overflow cover looks like it's on sideways...maybe I'll try to switch vertically like I see in every other photo of these things and see if it helps.

That should help quite a bit!

It is super silent in the config it's in now currently.  It took a while, but once it gets the bacteria slime coat growing on the pipe walls, it is dead silent.  How does the drain pipe terminate in the sump?  

14 minutes ago, Archetype said:

It is super silent in the config it's in now currently.  It took a while, but once it gets the bacteria slime coat growing on the pipe walls, it is dead silent.  How does the drain pipe terminate in the sump?  

@Christopher Marks Thanks!

@Archetype Ahh that makes sense, I just have to have patience!  Right now, I simply have it going into the left side of the sump, no filter sock since the egg crate next to it is hosting some poly filter pads.  The pipe end actually is sitting in the water in that chamber.

For me, it started out loud...my wife didn't like it to much.  But once that slime coat it there (it took about a month to build up), I was checking it every so often to make sure it was running, since it was so quiet.  I had the end of the drain line terminate about 1"-1.5" below the water in the first chamber, and in a filter sock to catch the big detritus and a finer floss on the egg crate with chemipure blue below for the final polishing.  I can't wait to see how this turns out!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I understand what you mean about wanting something a little wider instead of taller. I'll be following along. 

Have you ironed out your stocking plans for this tank yet?

Thanks Taco! 

I haven't figured out what I want to do quite yet.  I switched the sand out probably 2 weeks ago and are currently letting things settle in...I tend to purchase my coral from coralsavers when he has his monthly facebook sales/his new website. :) 

I want to try Acans again, even though I can't seem to keep them alive for some reason. 

I tried out blastos this go around and that thing is a trooper and opens up beautifully.  If I could find some blastos that were different color than red I probably get some more of those haha 

I'm coming to like palys too...the sunny d's I got from Coralsavers seems to open up all the time vs the Zoas which I have trouble with.  

But, I'd say the next coral I buy would probably be these:

Torch Corals

Octospawn

Acans

Paly

Maybe another blasto...but heard they don't like to touch each other.

I have enough shrooms...favia are a little to stationary for me.  I like to see a little more movement in the tank, if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears :) 

Fish wise, I'd love another royal gramma as my daughter loved it but they tend to hide too much for my taste.  Maybe a Firefish, but those tend to jump out of the tank too much too.  I guess I could build a lid to accommodate that, but haven't gotten around to it.

The only thing I'm not sure about in this tank is if I should a power head (MP10)  to the tank.

• Like 1

Why have you had problems with Acan's ? Like them keeping their colors or them losing tissue ans dying ? I have better luck with Acan's than I do some Zoa's lol. 

5 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Why have you had problems with Acan's ? Like them keeping their colors or them losing tissue ans dying ? I have better luck with Acan's than I do some Zoa's lol. 

It's definitely the 2nd part, where they lose tissue and die :(  From people I talk to they say it's like keeping a blasto.  Since getting the blasto I did change salt to Fritz instead of Reef Crystals...so maybe that was it.

On 10/3/2017 at 12:27 PM, Tonyb292 said:

Thanks Taco! 

I haven't figured out what I want to do quite yet.  I switched the sand out probably 2 weeks ago and are currently letting things settle in...I tend to purchase my coral from coralsavers when he has his monthly facebook sales/his new website. :) 

I want to try Acans again, even though I can't seem to keep them alive for some reason. 

I tried out blastos this go around and that thing is a trooper and opens up beautifully.  If I could find some blastos that were different color than red I probably get some more of those haha 

I'm coming to like palys too...the sunny d's I got from Coralsavers seems to open up all the time vs the Zoas which I have trouble with.  

But, I'd say the next coral I buy would probably be these:

Torch Corals

Octospawn

Acans

Paly

Maybe another blasto...but heard they don't like to touch each other.

I have enough shrooms...favia are a little to stationary for me.  I like to see a little more movement in the tank, if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears :) 

Fish wise, I'd love another royal gramma as my daughter loved it but they tend to hide too much for my taste.  Maybe a Firefish, but those tend to jump out of the tank too much too.  I guess I could build a lid to accommodate that, but haven't gotten around to it.

The only thing I'm not sure about in this tank is if I should a power head (MP10)  to the tank.

Pom pom or porcelain crab, or Pederson's anemone shrimps.  I love them all. :wub:

On 10/3/2017 at 9:30 PM, Tonyb292 said:

It's definitely the 2nd part, where they lose tissue and die :(  From people I talk to they say it's like keeping a blasto.  Since getting the blasto I did change salt to Fritz instead of Reef Crystals...so maybe that was it.

Sadly sometimes certain corals don't do well in certain tanks, or you may find a coral you just can't maintain successfully for no reason (I was like that with zoas/palys for years).  And you can def find different colors of blastos, especially if you go online.  I have six varieties in my pico lol.

• Like 1
On 10/7/2017 at 3:32 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Pom pom or porcelain crab, or Pederson's anemone shrimps.  I love them all. :wub:

Sadly sometimes certain corals don't do well in certain tanks, or you may find a coral you just can't maintain successfully for no reason (I was like that with zoas/palys for years).  And you can def find different colors of blastos, especially if you go online.  I have six varieties in my pico lol.

I just recounted and realized I actually have seven varieties of blasto in my pico.

I may have a problem. :lol:

17 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I just recounted and realized I actually have seven varieties of blasto in my pico.

I may have a problem. :lol:

Hahah, that's not a problem!  They are awesome looking coral! 

I've always wanted to try a Pom Pom crab as they look fun to watch :D

I think I'm going to head to Best Fish in Milwaukee this weekend to scope them out.  I've never been there and heard some good things about the place.  I kinda want to try out a Duncan coral head as they seem to have a lot of movement.  Hopefully, they will have a blasto or two too :D 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Tonyb292 said:

I think I'm going to head to Best Fish in Milwaukee this weekend to scope them out.  I've never been there and heard some good things about the place.  I kinda want to try out a Duncan coral head as they seem to have a lot of movement.  Hopefully, they will have a blasto or two too :D 

Best Fish is the best...no pun intended!  Brian and Judy are the owners and they do a lot for the community.  I support them any chance I get...and you can beat their prices on livestock.  I will be going there probably on Friday or Saturday.

11 minutes ago, Archetype said:

Best Fish is the best...no pun intended!  Brian and Judy are the owners and they do a lot for the community.  I support them any chance I get...and you can beat their prices on livestock.  I will be going there probably on Friday or Saturday.

Haha maybe I'll run into Saturday if you do go that day :P

4 hours ago, Tonyb292 said:

Most pom poms are pretty cryptic, but they are definitely fun to watch.  There's a video on my 1.6 gal in my sig from my very not-cryptic pom pom, Shelby, who was very bold and out all the time, but alas, turned out to be a meany-butt too lol.

Someone else on here had a vid of her new pom pom dragging baby hermits back into her lair... But in my experience of over half a dozen, most pom poms prefer to hide in tiny crevices and are rarely seen.  The one I have now is the shyest I've had and I literally see maybe once a month in a 5.5.

• Like 1

Anyone happen to know what this could be growing on my sump live rock rubble?   It's white and doesn't seem to move; it was on the underside of the rock before I flipped it around for a picture.  I've tried searching around for it and came across some threads/pictures saying it could be a type of sponge....so I'll probably go with that :)

Also, sorry for the fuzzy picture hard to take a picture in the sump :(

20171013_054830.jpg