Coral Vue Hydros

Looking for opinions on aquascape and coral placement

Horsey_Cat

My rock arrangement has been the same since I set up the tank. Based on the size and shape of my rocks, I really don't see a better way to arrange them. The smaller rock with the xenia is actually backwards right now. I turned it around so the xenia would get different flow, and hopefully start growing a bit in a different direction. I plan to turn it back around in the next couple days because the other side looks much nicer.

The biggest thing Im trying to figure out right now is exactly how to arrange my coral so that it will look nice in the tank. Clearly there isn't much in there now to be worried about, but Im getting a shipment on Tuesday of some more coral. And as for the torch I currently have in there, I don't know what to do with it, so I kind of just have it slanted sitting on the rock.

My coral shipment Im getting on Tuesday with have a long tentacle plate coral, and Im thinking of placing that right on the open sandbed in front of the big rock.

Im getting a 1-2" frag of GSP which Im considering glueing on the rock, close to where you see the filter intake

Then Im getting Anthelia, and at first I was considering glueing it to the bottom right of the big rock, but now Im considering glueing it to the back wall where the filter is. Considering that's where the filter is though Im not sure whether thats a good idea or not, but it does seem like it would be cool

My Tank

DrY9KhJ.jpg

Another tank I found on Nano-reef that I find absolutely stunning and would like my tank to grow similarly

post-65927-1335703269.jpg

Thrassian Atoll

Your Xenia and gsp will take over the tank just like the photo you posted.  It's not going to matter where you place it if it's on the main rock work.  GSP on the back wall has been done a lot.  Your filter should be fine.  Just scrape some off if it's closer than you want it.

10 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Your Xenia and gsp will take over the tank just like the photo you posted.  It's not going to matter where you place it if it's on the main rock work.  GSP on the back wall has been done a lot.  Your filter should be fine.  Just scrape some off if it's closer than you want it.

I was talking about putting the anthelia on the back wall, but now Im thinking maybe I should put the GSP instead... hmmmm

• 7 months later...

I had Anthelia grow into a powerhead and damage it. It looked good until there were shreds of it all over the aquarium and it jammed up the powerhead.

I have a 12 gal and had about the same LR as you, almost the same size too.  I ended up splitting the larger rock (like the one on your left) and using one of the pieces to bridge across the other two.  This gave me a little "cave" for lower light corals and my fish loved swimming through it.  It also gave me a nice ridge for corals that liked higher light.

Personally I like the current aquascape and your plans for placement. Anthelia will take over each piece so you'll need to "prune" it to keep it from overtaking. I liked it but it really smells bad when you remove it from the aquarium. An elastic band works to get it growing. Place the gsp out of the flow from the filter. Let it grow there. You're kinda missing something colourful and midsize. Maybe a leather coral with bright colours like Fiji Leather Coral or blue finger or a Tyree toadstool. It'll look good with the new stuff. Just watch the Anthelia.

ps. having the Anthelia on the glass is easier to remove than on liverock.

I think anthelia under the filter will be fine, just take a razor and scrape it off to keep it pruned. 

I torch may fair better in the sand bed somewhere since all those aggressive growers will take over the rocks they are on (which looks pretty imo)