Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ATO and Tunze 9001 Skimmer info for Biocube 29

kcamp317

I recently picked up a used bio cube 29.  First time back in the hobby for about 5 years.  The whole setup came with a ton of nice equipment, most of it never used.  Part of it was a Tunze 9001 and a Tunze 9002 skimmer.   

I'm trying to decide which one to use so I can keep the lid on and I think the 9001 seems to fit the bill.   Im trying to see how deep into the middle chamber of the back I will need to place it to work correctly with the water level.  Almost looks like I will need to fill the back chambers up past the MAX line to make it work correctly but I'm not sure.  The tank has to cycle for a few weeks before I have to operate the skimmer anyway.  I could use some info and pics on that issue if you all don't mind.

Alos, I did search a little about adding an ATO to this setup but most of the posts I found were from like 2011/2012 range.   I know that for the skimmer to operate at its best I'll need an ATO.  I am very unfamiliar with them as I never ran one on any of our previous tanks.  I would like to know a currently made good/reliable unit for this Biocube and again, any pics, info, opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I kinda feel like a newbie but as I said I've been out of the hobby for about 5 years now after operating a successful and flourishing mixed reef 180G for about 10 years.   I remember the basics but am relearning all the finer points and all the new equipment out now.  I'm definately not looking to go into anything bigger than this bio cube from now on but I would like to make this as successful and reliable/stress free as possible so I don't mind paying for good equipment.

Thanks!

On 9/19/2017 at 9:32 AM, kcamp317 said:

Thanks....

I couldn't figure out why there was a max line anyway.  Its not like the water has anywhere to go if the power is off, its just a glass cube after all.

It was dumb thinking by Oceanic that water had to drip onto bioballs using the stock filtration.  The Coralife just continued it's use on their versions.

You'd be surprised how many think that adding more to the rear chamber will overflow the tank if you shut the pump off.  They freak out with that min/max molding on the side.......