Pod Your Reef

10 gallon IM Fish capacity limit

reefroid

I recently purchased an Innovative Marine 10 gallon tank. I so far have one clown fish and neon dotty back with 7 snails and 2 soft corals. I was wondering if I can possibly get another clown to pair with mine down the road? Also if anyone has tips on how they feed their fish weekly that would be great information for me.  

I would stop with two fish in a ten gallon saltwater tank.  Also, depending on the type of clown they can outgrow the tank, or be a big fish in a small tank.  The higher your bio-load, the more frequent you will need a water change.  How often are you performing them now?  

I feed every other day and give a variety of food.  Not the same thing all the time.  Some dry, some frozen, and also algae on a clip.  Don't overfeed :) 

You can also get a bigger tank :)  

There are lots of ways to run a tank and you have to figure out what works best as far as feeding and nutrient export. Basically you don't want extra food just sitting around in the tank, but it's ok to feed smaller tanks frequently as long as it is small quantities and then you're getting the waste out. As far as fish, Gena has a pair of clowns in her IM 10 and they look to be fairly large already - but she said they mainly stay in one spot. You probably don't want to push it much past that though and I believe neon dotty backs tend to get aggressive.... Would love to see pictures sometime!

56 minutes ago, hinnenkm said:

There are lots of ways to run a tank and you have to figure out what works best as far as feeding and nutrient export. Basically you don't want extra food just sitting around in the tank, but it's ok to feed smaller tanks frequently as long as it is small quantities and then you're getting the waste out. As far as fish, Gena has a pair of clowns in her IM 10 and they look to be fairly large already - but she said they mainly stay in one spot. You probably don't want to push it much past that though and I believe neon dotty backs tend to get aggressive.... Would love to see pictures sometime!

Absolutely agree! I used 50/50 mix frozen food only but may switch it up each week with dry food. From what I heard brine frozen is the best for their development and growth. I used to have a huge carpet algae problem at first because I overfeed the tank and wasted bio load built up and I was giving the tank to much light. I adjusted those two variables and got way better results. I just order kessil aw160 with the controller so I'm hoping to get great results in this tank as far as growth and lighting.

1 hour ago, Flexin said:

I would stop with two fish in a ten gallon saltwater tank.  Also, depending on the type of clown they can outgrow the tank, or be a big fish in a small tank.  The higher your bio-load, the more frequent you will need a water change.  How often are you performing them now?  

I feed every other day and give a variety of food.  Not the same thing all the time.  Some dry, some frozen, and also algae on a clip.  Don't overfeed :) 

You can also get a bigger tank :)  

I do 15 percent water change each week. My tank has a very tiny leak so I top off every other day with ocean water. Since I live on the east coast of Florida I have access to sea water. I feed every other day as well ; I switch off from 1/2 cube to 1/4 cube consecutively each week. Im actually trying to perfect my skills first as a nano reefer than eventually move up to the big toys :)

nanoreef.JPG

Just now, reefroid said:

ALSO I HAVE A CLOWN IN MY TANK RIGHT NOW STRIPES ARE BLACK AND WHITE WITH THE DOTTYBACK THAT HAVE NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER SO I FEEL IF I ADD ANOTHER CLOWN DOWN THE ROAD IT HOPEFULLY WONT CAUSE TENSION. I HAD THE CLOWN FISH FIRST SO MAYBE THE DOTTYBACK BACKED OFF. I HOPE NOTHING WOULD HAPPEN IF I ADDED ANOTHER CLOWN DOWN THE ROAD.

nanoreef.JPG

6 minutes ago, Flexin said:

Adding actual ocean water may lead to you chasing problems.  You can't control what is introduced to your tank.  The dotty is very nice.

Thank you! I don't actually get i myself but my local store gets orders from companies in florida. They uv sterilize it and make sure all bacteria is killed before selling it. Sea water is defiantly the best source for perfectly balance water.

44 minutes ago, reefroid said:

Thank you! I don't actually get i myself but my local store gets orders from companies in florida. They uv sterilize it and make sure all bacteria is killed before selling it. Sea water is defiantly the best source for perfectly balance water.

Sorry, but that's just not true when it comes to keeping your own reef tank.

3 hours ago, cju84 said:

tell me more than. whats better than ocean water, thats were these organisms came from. mixing salt is more complicated and can be more expensive depends where you live. obviously there is ton other factors involved into balancing water but your main source of water that you feed your tank will impact your water chemistry.

3 hours ago, cju84 said:

by the way your tanks are very nice corals are thriving. I'm not saying I'm right but I was told this by a few people.

What is the salinity of the water?  

Mixing is not that complicated.  And even if the store mixes it, you can just get it premade.  I like to test my water before it goes in the tank.  Also, depending on the mix you use, there are fish mixes and then reef mixes that have additional items to help a reef thrive.  I think mixing or purchasing water from the store mixing water (again test it) would be more consistent regarding minerals for a tank.  The ocean is a big place and the water chemistry can change, even if taken from the same place.  Anything living in a given area in the ocean has time to adjust.  Placing water with potentially a different chemistry in your tank can throw things sideways.  And the store you get it from, do they test water quality?  What are they testing for, just salinity?  If the water is different, do they add anything?  It won't always be the same naturally.  At least if you mix and or test the water from a mix you can be consistent with the chemistry of water added to the tank, and if something goes wrong, you can rule out the water quality.

Also, I'm sure the people who are for it are not working at the store or all customers from the store.  I say to each their own, some like to wing it with a tank, others try to be more controlled.  I'm not sure where the balance if for those that use ocean water, but I like to rule out certain things if I have a problem.  Just my thoughts :)  

2 hours ago, Flexin said:

What is the salinity of the water?  

Mixing is not that complicated.  And even if the store mixes it, you can just get it premade.  I like to test my water before it goes in the tank.  Also, depending on the mix you use, there are fish mixes and then reef mixes that have additional items to help a reef thrive.  I think mixing or purchasing water from the store mixing water (again test it) would be more consistent regarding minerals for a tank.  The ocean is a big place and the water chemistry can change, even if taken from the same place.  Anything living in a given area in the ocean has time to adjust.  Placing water with potentially a different chemistry in your tank can throw things sideways.  And the store you get it from, do they test water quality?  What are they testing for, just salinity?  If the water is different, do they add anything?  It won't always be the same naturally.  At least if you mix and or test the water from a mix you can be consistent with the chemistry of water added to the tank, and if something goes wrong, you can rule out the water quality.

Also, I'm sure the people who are for it are not working at the store or all customers from the store.  I say to each their own, some like to wing it with a tank, others try to be more controlled.  I'm not sure where the balance if for those that use ocean water, but I like to rule out certain things if I have a problem.  Just my thoughts :)  

I use instant ocean sea salt 10 gallon. I only have this mix just in case if I can't buy sea water for a storm like Irma. Ive tested their salt water before adding; 1.025. They have it under their website that they uv sterilize it so I'm assuming they test their water. considering every time I go; if I ask for a water test they won't charge me. Obviously I don't ask anymore because my tank cycled and my parameters are in check. I don't overfeed my tank and weekly do water changes. I top off with fresh water (R.O) (SAME STORE; BARRIER REEF BOCA RATON) because if you keep consistently  adding salt water the salt stays and increases salinity.

10 hours ago, reefroid said:

tell me more than. whats better than ocean water, thats were these organisms came from. mixing salt is more complicated and can be more expensive depends where you live. obviously there is ton other factors involved into balancing water but your main source of water that you feed your tank will impact your water chemistry.

by the way your tanks are very nice corals are thriving. I'm not saying I'm right but I was told this by a few people.

Mixing isn't complicated.

Fill bucket, add salt, stir, test sg, add powerhead and heater.

When your water evaporates, it's topped up with freshwater, not salt water.

You only add salt water when you take saltwater out like doing a water change.

Do you test salinity?

22 hours ago, reefroid said:

I use instant ocean sea salt 10 gallon. I only have this mix just in case if I can't buy sea water for a storm like Irma. Ive tested their salt water before adding; 1.025. They have it under their website that they uv sterilize it so I'm assuming they test their water. considering every time I go; if I ask for a water test they won't charge me. Obviously I don't ask anymore because my tank cycled and my parameters are in check. I don't overfeed my tank and weekly do water changes. I top off with fresh water (R.O) (SAME STORE; BARRIER REEF BOCA RATON) because if you keep consistently  adding salt water the salt stays and increases salinity.

It's ok to assume for some, me personally I like to know before I place it in my tank.  I did not mean to offend, just since you asked why, I thought I would provide some rationale which I think my points above are valid.  I'm not the person who initially asked the question, just providing some info based on the statement.  Good luck..