ReefCleaners.org

SAVE MY ACRO

JoeMan02

Hey all, some sad news: my bubble blue acro seems to be dying or already dead. is there any way to save it? im trying to collect sps and this is quite a blow to me because im not sure how it happened. at least it wasnt too expensive. pic below

any feedback would be greatly appreciated asap!

ps dont mind the bubble algae, i have to clean that up later

IMG_4120.JPG

That's tissue necrosis. I would normally suggest fragging any remaining areas to save what's left. However, being as small as it is, there isn't anything left to save.

Another thing. You have mushrooms, and colt/Kenya right next to an acro. Why? They won't mix, not in close proximity.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

That's tissue necrosis. I would normally suggest fragging any remaining areas to save what's left. However, being as small as it is, there isn't anything left to save.

Another thing. You have mushrooms, and colt/Kenya right next to an acro. Why? They won't mix, not in close proximity.

the acro was higher in the tank so i moved it down in case of bleaching. just temporary. thanks for the advice, what causes tissue necrosis? and how do i stop it from killing all my other sps?

Nobody knows, for sure. Speculation of a bacterial infection, but nothing has been proven. In your case, it may well have been caused by chemicals released by some of those soft corals. However, can't be sure of that, either. As a precaution, you should give all your softies a wide area, and run heavy carbon, to counter any chemical warfare caused by competition for space.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RayWhisperer said:

Nobody knows, for sure. Speculation of a bacterial infection, but nothing has been proven. In your case, it may well have been caused by chemicals released by some of those soft corals. However, can't be sure of that, either. As a precaution, you should give all your softies a wide area, and run heavy carbon, to counter any chemical warfare caused by competition for space.

I was planning on trading all my mushrooms and a big leather i have for some more sps. a zoa fell on an acan colony i have. could that have done it?

I suppose it's possible the zoas released something. However, if it's only the one acro that's affected, I'd be looking to the leather right next to it. Then again, it could have just been doomed before you even bought it. Like I said, nobody is sure about anything when it comes to tissue necrosis.

what little I remember about it. Corals displaying symptoms of tissue necrosis, whether RTN, or STN, have a very high amount of a bacteria in their flesh. However, it's a very common bacteria in salt water. So, they aren't sure if the bacteria is causing the TN, or, if it's just being opportunistic and invading an already dying coral.

How bigs the tank? In large tanks it can be ok for some types of coral like leathers to be with sps in smaller tanks it's much more difficult and especially if they are close enough. Running carbon consistently can help. But honestly this is why you see sps dominant tanks with only a hand full of more passive lps. In nano's it would be very difficult to have a little bit of everything and keep everything happy.

• Like 1