inTank Media Baskets

bluebastion's Evo 13.5

bluebastion

6 hours ago, Detritus said:

Hello, Bluebastion!

Great looking tank, nice setup, despite some of your shipping hardships. Can you help me out and let me know what kind of light that is that came in? Is that an AI hydra?

Yes.  It's a Hydra 26 HD.  To most people it is way overkill... but I like the challenge of keeping SPS corals..   If you're doing softies in a similar size tank, an AI Prime will do.

2 hours ago, bluebastion said:

Yes.  It's a Hydra 26 HD.  To most people it is way overkill... but I like the challenge of keeping SPS corals..   If you're doing softies in a similar size tank, an AI Prime will do.

Ah, thank you! I am trying to choose lighting right now on a tank I'm planning, and I believe in overkill too ;-) What is your first impressions of this light? When I looked, it seemed that the user reviews for the AI Prime were a little better than for the Hydra, so I was leaning towards the Prime for that reason. I figured I could add a second Prime if I need it, or if I go to a larger tank. Does the Hydra have the same wifi interface/controller app and features as the Prime? And you're planning on mostly SPS for this tank? Sounds great, I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thanks for your help!

-Detritus

2 minutes ago, Detritus said:

Ah, thank you! I am trying to choose lighting right now on a tank I'm planning, and I believe in overkill too ;-) What is your first impressions of this light? When I looked, it seemed that the user reviews for the AI Prime were a little better than for the Hydra, so I was leaning towards the Prime for that reason. I figured I could add a second Prime if I need it, or if I go to a larger tank. Does the Hydra have the same wifi interface/controller app and features as the Prime? And you're planning on mostly SPS for this tank? Sounds great, I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thanks for your help!

-Detritus

The Hydra 26 HD does have the same interface and features.  If I were you, and you like to go overkill, I'd just go the Hydra 26 HD since it would be cheaper in the long run.  And if does turn out to be overkill for your purposes, you can always adjust the light to a lower %.  The Amazon reviews on this light is 4/5 stars.  Only 1/2 star less than the Prime. :)  Also, from what I've read in forums, the Prime is not suited for SPS... while the Hydra 26 HD is.

34 minutes ago, bluebastion said:

Also, from what I've read in forums, the Prime is not suited for SPS... while the Hydra 26 HD is.

Really? Is that true? I have been talking in another thread with other NR.com members that told me I could definitely do SPS with an AI Prime HD+. I don't mean to take up your whole thread, but could I ask what makes the Prime less suitable for SPS than the Hydra 26? Is it just the power output? Because you can adjust the spectrum almost infinitely, right?

Thank you very much for your help!

-Detritus

Hey Blue,

Great looking Evo! I've been debating one for the office, I think seeing your build put me over the edge. It's such a tricky little tank to 'scape, but nicely done!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Detritus said:

Really? Is that true? I have been talking in another thread with other NR.com members that told me I could definitely do SPS with an AI Prime HD+. I don't mean to take up your whole thread, but could I ask what makes the Prime less suitable for SPS than the Hydra 26? Is it just the power output? Because you can adjust the spectrum almost infinitely, right?

Thank you very much for your help!

-Detritus

I can't remember where I read it, but as I perused multiple forums it seemed questionable on the reliability of growing SPS with the Prime.  I think you specifically had to place the SPS close to the top of the aquarium to get enough PAR...  I like to grow mine half way in the tank so they have room to grow up and out--- hence all the rock in the tank.  I'm sure you'd have enough PAR with two Primes, but at that point you'll be spending at least $100+ more than buying a Hydra 26.

1 hour ago, StarkReefer said:

Hey Blue,

Great looking Evo! I've been debating one for the office, I think seeing your build put me over the edge. It's such a tricky little tank to 'scape, but nicely done!

Thank you, Sir.  It is definitely tricky since its volume is small (12 gallons in the display)---- and it makes it a little more claustrophobic with the peninsula layout.  However, I do really like this tank.  My only downer is that I won't be able to run a real skimmer on this tank.... but I am somewhat glad I can't, because it would ruin the aesthetic.

Also, welcome to Nano-Reef!!!

7 minutes ago, bluebastion said:

I can't remember where I read it, but as I perused multiple forums it seemed questionable on the reliability of growing SPS with the Prime.  I think you specifically had to place the SPS close to the top of the aquarium to get enough PAR...  I like to grow mine half way in the tank so they have room to grow up and out--- hence all the rock in the tank.  I'm sure you'd have enough PAR with two Primes, but at that point you'll be spending at least $100+ more than buying a Hydra 26.

Thanks for the reply! I was initially leaning towards the Hydra 26, but in talking with other members here who seemed to think I'd be happier with the Prime I changed my mind a little. I definitely need to do more research, but now I'm leaning back to the Hydra. And, compared to others (The Eco Tech Radions, Kessil, etc.) it seems like the Aqua Illuminations represent the "best value" because of the wireless, wifi control-ability out of the box, without an additional, expensive controller to buy. Thank you again for your help, and best of luck with your tank build! I hope to be stopping back periodically to check in on it.

-D

1 minute ago, Detritus said:

Thanks for the reply! I was initially leaning towards the Hydra 26, but in talking with other members here who seemed to think I'd be happier with the Prime changed my mind a little. I definitely need to do more research, but now I'm leaning back to the Hydra. And, compared to others (The Eco Tech Radions, Kessil, etc.) it seems like the Aqua Illuminations represent the "best value" because of the wireless, wifi control-ability out of the box, without an additional, expensive controller to buy. Thank you again for your help, and best of luck with your tank build! I hope to be stopping back periodically to check in on it.

-D

Not a problem, man!  If it makes you feel any better, I was also on the fence between the two.  But I was hard pressed to find anyone with Primes that had an SPS garden grown from the Prime.  I found many many tanks and videos with SPS gardens thriving under the Hydra 26.  Like I said, SPS is my goal... and I don't want to have any issues keeping them alive because I picked the wrong light.... So much so I almost went back to Metal Halides.. because I know they work.  This is also coming from someone who is currently on a really tight budget because his wife is back in school for a Masters and is going from Full-Time to Part-Time.  So that $125 difference was a big jump for me.

1 minute ago, bluebastion said:

Like I said, SPS is my goal... and I don't want to have any issues keeping them alive because I picked the wrong light.... So much so I almost went back to Metal Halides.. because I know they work. 

Absolutely, I could not have said it better! I used to do the metal halide thing years ago (I had two 250 watt lamps over a 125 gallon tank back when I had a "real" job, lol!). I know I want LED this time, I know I want SPS, and I absolutely want the best light I can afford. I don't want to worry that the light is the limiting factor in my ability to keep and grow SPS, and I want to try and buy once and buy right. I don't want to buy an inferior light now, only to have to swap it out in 6 to 12 months.

Thanks again, blue!

-Detritus

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A lot has happened since my last update.  I changed out my Koralia for a PP4 Jebao, then changed that out for 2x Jebao SW2s.... I finally landed on what I think is overkill.

Koralia

2vcz77n.jpg

Jebao PP4

11wan2s.jpg

2 x Jebao SW2

xdzbys.jpg

Also, I've added lots and lots of corals---  I started out with a Zoa frag, and then an ORA Hawkins Echinata, Seasons Greetings Monti, and a Grape Monti.  All looked to be doing well-- so I bought a frag pack from another hobbyist.  The pack just came in today.

Hawkins

vg0op0.jpg

Monti Caps

2pqjfpx.jpg

• Like 1

Oregon Tort

2f0do45.jpg

Smurf Milli

2hi8sox.jpg

Red Planet

2q900uw.jpg

Blue and Teal Acro (looks like a Tenius to me)

28vsqcz.jpg

Surf and Turf

10cumac.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake (color is not there yet)

2dulbuq.jpg

An Unidentified Freebie

2iqh5r8.jpg

Lots of mini-colored-sticks

65csd1.jpg

17 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

Nice tank! Looking forward to see how it turns out.

Thanks, man!

I'm hoping for the best as well since I'm a bit jaded and skeptical from my last tank--- failed horribly from using dry rock (I suspect).  

Here is a Peninsula FTS I took this morning:

32zmg61.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Another update....  this time it’s more technical and less bio.

I purchased a used Apex Jr. (No display)  with a WiFi access point for only $140, which doesn’t seem too bad:

zlorah.jpg

I scored a used PM1 Module on eBay and purchased a new PH probe (Bulk Reef Supply), and I hope to put both to use within the next few weeks.  They are still being shipped at time of this post.  My ultimate goal is to know how much 2 Part Alk/Cal to dose per day for the SPS— and to keep the PH levels up.

Also, I did not post the ATO setup installed, so here’s a pic of that.  I’m using a 2.5 gallon BPA free water container from Walmart, which was only about $8.

11a8t4y.jpg

2w21lyf.jpg

I’ll work on cable management once I get my PH probe in the tank.

I purchased some Reef Roids to do some target feeding 2x a week.  Here are some pictures from the 1st feed:

All pumps off with Reef Roids in the water:

or8bk8.jpg

2w58y8j.jpg

1zzm910.jpg

Lastly, my Hawkins has paled a little so I finally decided to hunker down and learn the AI app to program my lights.  I previously had it on Easy Setup with all light colors at 100% except for green and red; those were set at 5%.  I’m happy on what I landed as my schedule and I’m open to any input from fellow reefers on what works best for them.  The biggest change I made was lowering Cool Whites down to  50% max.  UV, Violet, Royal Blue, and Blue are now capping out at 90% instead of being overdriven:

1tsvv5.jpg

@Ray Whisperer

Hey Ray--- Can you move this thread to Tank Journals please?  I didn't realize there was some new fandangled forum for that now.  Kids and technology... I remember when I had to make tank threads in AIO's uphill and downhill... both ways...

• 2 weeks later...

Tank Update: Made a few modifications to the tank.

First off, I added a PM1 module and a pH probe to my Apex Jr.  This will allow me to monitor pH while dosing 2 Part B-Ionic

2e3bsio.jpg

Last week I took the middle shelf out of the inTank Chamber 2 insert.  This allowed me to add a refugium.  I hit a local reefer (neighbor) up for some chaetomorpha and used an old ikea clip-on LED light

2je32au.jpg

Here are some update photos of the corals, base growth, and FTS.  Hope you enjoy:

Smurf Acro (Bubblegum Mille): base growth is spreading over the super glue

zxo3d4.jpg

Blue Green Acro (Tenuis): Growing some in the base

2akdx0h.jpg

Idaho Grape (Montipora Undata):  Spreading downwards on the frag plug

16h81l4.jpg

Forest Fire Montipora Digita:  Gaining green fluorescence on the tips

1127dhu.jpg

Red Planet: Has had the fastest base growth and the white flesh between the polyps have started to color in with green

16kvr00.jpg

FTS Peninsula View

orp2bk.jpg

FTS Side shot

1ok5ki.jpg

Corner Shot

1zd22q1.jpg

• Like 3
21 hours ago, kasso187 said:

Nice build!  Where did you place the probes? Are they fully submerged? I'm really interested in getting an apex for Evo.

Thank you!  I placed both probes (temp and pH) in the last chamber with the rest of my equipment.  It all fits fine.  Actually, neither probe is full submerged, and their cables keep them at the height I desire simply by friction.  Here is a pic:

14jsp55.jpg

Here are some bonus update pics.  I picked up 2 tiny baby PJs...

ipb23b.jpg

Also, was able to take a nice pic of my Pom Pom Crab today.  For some reason he was brave tonight:

140dgkp.jpg

351wb2w.jpg

xbbfr7.jpg

We all float down here....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Just here to admire / steal away inspiration for my evo haha.. pretty awesome tank man.

Rock scape looks simple at a glance but the more you look there’s cool little subtleties.

On 11/21/2017 at 12:04 PM, Christopher Marks said:

How are all the SPS babies coming along @bluebastion? I moved your thread to the Aquarium Journals forum as requested.

It's going well.  They're all still growing.  The color has gone off on a few... so I'm not sure if it's because of my water change neglect (3 weeks) or the LED effect.  I did do a water change last night so we'll see.  Thanks for asking!

On 11/21/2017 at 8:36 PM, tonydahomie said:

Just here to admire / steal away inspiration for my evo haha.. pretty awesome tank man.

Rock scape looks simple at a glance but the more you look there’s cool little subtleties.

Thank you!  Peninsulas always make me think that I need to do some kind of real rock peninsula or end-of-reef drop off.  Probably stems from the first Peninsula tank I have seen in real life... 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking tank! Any updates here? Curious to hear how your SPS are doing.

Full disclosure, I am realitively new to the hobby (8-9 months) and just speaking from my own personal experience. The hydra 26 seems like a lot of light for this tank, especially with the intensity settings you posted above. I run a prime hd over my EVO at lower intensities (blues and violets max out in mid-70%s) and I have had issues with my SPS fading/bleaching just under that much light. Growth has been good on SPS but I just cant seem to dial in my light intensities to get the best color out of them. 

Anyways, welcome to the EVO club and I'll be following along with your AJ!

cBPOiR6.gif

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hey everyone!  Sorry it's been so long since an update.  Life has been extremely busy...  But everything is running and doing fine.  The colors on the SPS could be better but they are still going strong and growing too.  If it's anything on my side, I think I could be doing more water changes.

I am updating to let you all know that tomorrow I will be finally receiving my pre-order of the Icecap 1k gyre... and I'm super excited!  Hopefully I can post pics tomorrow or this weekend!

• Like 2
23 hours ago, bluebastion said:

I am updating to let you all know that tomorrow I will be finally receiving my pre-order of the Icecap 1k gyre... and I'm super excited!  Hopefully I can post pics tomorrow or this weekend!

I am interested to hear how the 1K gyre is in your EVO. I was eyeing one of these as well, but was waiting to hear some reviews before pulling the trigger.