Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

bluebastion's Evo 13.5

bluebastion

Current FTS 10/22/2017

2hn2yv9.jpg

Well, I didn't get to start a new tank last year... so I'm starting this nano in lieu of an imminent "big" tank--- hopefully within the next 2 years.

So I present to you the unboxing of my Fluval EVO 13.5:

Shipping Box

59bd4172994de_EVOBox1.thumb.JPG.fe67f7274ae96dfdb6127521ecb7f248.JPG

EVO's Home

59bd41fddfe12_EVOBox3.thumb.JPG.e3cd377ce53d35d2562403fb21b215cb.JPG

Box Opening

59bd42278a536_EVOBox4.thumb.JPG.b26754e72d56227e3b29e44d887baee1.JPG

Wait.... What's that?

59bd423ad6a84_EVOBox5.thumb.JPG.918c0405d5c2d0e3ff887e628b1fbd79.JPG

Crap.......................................

59bd4253da8cf_EVOBox6.thumb.JPG.c40c04c2f8b4bcc05fbd09284532eeb3.JPG

So long story short, the tank was supposed to arrive on Monday 9/11--- the day Hurricane Irma hit FL (and was originally slated to go up the East Coast).  I live on the coast of SC, and so UPS deliveries were delayed.  My EVO was stuck in some kind of limbo... until I called UPS up and asked if we could pick the package up at the local HUB since they didn't have full staff of drivers (many had evacuated the area).  We were able to pick up the tank on Thursday from the HUB... when I discovered the condition of the tank above.

Sadly, I had already ordered 10 lbs. of Mandado Live Rock from Premium Aquatics... which came in on Friday... so Thursday night I went to Walmart and purchased a 10 gallon aquarium until Petco sorted out the broken tank issue.

So here is the live rocks' temporary home

59bd43450d23e_10Gallon.thumb.JPG.c87a0c9d3035a9f9712255a77bb7d118.JPG

Some shots of the Live Rock.  Great quality pieces!  Porous with a lot of aesthetic structures.  Brandon from Premium Aquatics hand picked them for me, and ensured their safety with great packing.  Couldn't be happier!

If you look closely you can see some tiny feather duster tube worms on the bottom rock (furthest edge)

59bd43d253c0c_ManadoRock1.thumb.JPG.cd758eb5c297efb04bbe2fb5c067b467.JPG

Beautiful texture.  You can't see it in this picture, but this piece is an archway.

59bd43e86bc4c_ManadoRock2.thumb.JPG.404b0968efe33c6fa66a29f1197f3102.JPG

Beautiful coraline on most of the pieces.  I hope it survives the cycle and temporary tank home

59bd452af01f5_ManadoRock3.thumb.JPG.96f15da0fec87982f87beb1a1840bec2.JPG

• Like 2
Just now, RayWhisperer said:

Welcome back, blue. 

Good to be back, and see old faces still around.  I lurked a few times since the last tank (which never really took off).

Hope all is well in TN --- if that's where you're still at.

Ummm..... I've never lived in TN, but that's ok. I don't think I ever told you where I lived. Judging by the timeframe of the last time you were posting, I think I had just gotten back from a vacation in TN. I was probably saying something like I would like to move down there, if there was work available. However, there is no decent paying work in TN, or KY, unfortunately.

13 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Ummm..... I've never lived in TN, but that's ok. I don't think I ever told you where I lived. Judging by the timeframe of the last time you were posting, I think I had just gotten back from a vacation in TN. I was probably saying something like I would like to move down there, if there was work available. However, there is no decent paying work in TN, or KY, unfortunately.

Bahahaha wait.. why did I "pin you down" in TN.  Oh... I think that's where Weetabix lives.  I've apparently got all my NR homies mixed up in my finite brain. :)  Sorry, brother.

• 2 weeks later...

So lots have happened since the last post... I not only received one replacement--- but they sent 2.  And they should have since one was also broken. ?  I was not able to fit the Sicce pump in the last chamber so I went with the return pump that came with the Evo.

IMG_2503.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

Topped the rest of the tank up, and also used the inTank media inserts on both Chamber 1 and 2.

I didn't like the first aquascaping attempt... so I rearranged everything and I think I'm happy with the pile of rocks now.

Also, I went overkill on a light fixture order.... more to come when it arrives tomorrow.

33epl6g.jpg

24bp95h.jpg

Clean up crew is also in:

b3qsjs.jpg

Light Mount beat the Light----  Silly Prime Shipping

speyra.jpg

Lastly, a hitch-hiking coral found on one of the pieces of live rock... looks like some kind of encrusting LPS/SPS

2zq5ykp.jpg

• Like 2

That coral looks a little like a cephastrea, or possibly a goniopora.

Unfortunately in that pic it looks like you also have some bryopsis algae around it.

If you don't manage to get it under control fast, it can spread rapidly, and will become a big pain to get rid of.

Other than that the tank looks great!

11 hours ago, Droy008 said:

That coral looks a little like a cephastrea, or possibly a goniopora.

Unfortunately in that pic it looks like you also have some bryopsis algae around it.

If you don't manage to get it under control fast, it can spread rapidly, and will become a big pain to get rid of.

Other than that the tank looks great!

Thanks for the heads up.  I have some longer, more mature growth of this stuff, and it actually looks like hair algae... it stays hairy and doesn't develop thicker than that.  This is a different piece of live rock vs where the hair algae is mostly growing so I'll keep an eye on it and raise magnesium levels if necessary.  Again, thanks for the heads up!  I really appreciate it.

31 minutes ago, Droy008 said:

If I would suggest a alternate course if action. Try Fluconozal, much easier and safer than Mag, and very affective!

Thanks.  Definitely will keep that in the back of my mind.  I've been out of the game for awhile. :)  Nice to see some helpful people out there.

Soooo did I ever mention I have this uncanny ability to have shipping problems when purchasing on the internet?  It usually ends with me getting something for free... and I don't even try.  This time it was my AI Hydra 26 HD that I ordered through Amazon Prime.  As you probably already know, this means I am supposed to get the item within 2 days.  Last Friday it was supposed to come in, then the status changed to Saturday.... and on Saturday the status changed to 4 days later... I went ahead and sent a formal complaint about the issue.  Amazon offered me either a $30 gift card or 20% off the fixture--- of course I took the 20% off.  So as I'm doing yard work outside today, the mailman actually dropped my light off.  Sayyy what??!?!?  I'll take it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bluebastion said:

Soooo did I ever mention I have this uncanny ability to have shipping problems when purchasing on the internet?  It usually ends with me getting something for free... and I don't even try.  This time it was my AI Hydra 26 HD that I ordered through Amazon Prime.  As you probably already know, this means I am supposed to get the item within 2 days.  Last Friday it was supposed to come in, then the status changed to Saturday.... and on Saturday the status changed to 4 days later... I went ahead and sent a formal complaint about the issue.  Amazon offered me either a $30 gift card or 20% off the fixture--- of course I took the 20% off.  So as I'm doing yard work outside today, the mailman actually dropped my light off.  Sayyy what??!?!?  I'll take it.

Niiiiice!!!!

And yeah, I moved from TN to Greenville, SC. 

Nice to see you back in this!!

I love the live rock you picked!!! I got some crazy nice uncured Manado Live Rock from Premium Aquatics several years back. 

I second the recommendation for fluconazole. 

Looking forward to seeing what you put in here!!

• Like 1
RayWhisperer

Everything's coming together. 

I'd also suggest fluconazole. I think you can get 100 mg and 200 mg tablets from any drug store way cheaper than buying it through any fish site.

thats what I see when weetie posts where she lives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Everything's coming together. 

I'd also suggest fluconazole. I think you can get 100 mg and 200 mg tablets from any drug store way cheaper than buying it through any fish site.

thats what I see when weetie posts where she lives.

Lol, it was closer to that where I lived in TN. 

Greenville really isn't like that at all. 

It's fairly urban and is growing like crazy, with people from all over the U.S. and even from all over the world with BMW being such a big presence here.

1 hour ago, RayWhisperer said:

It's pretty much Greenville reminding me of Greenbow. It has nothing to do with hicks.

Greenville is where all the hipsters live in South Carolina.... or whatever they're morphing into these days.

Weetie--- So glad to see/hear from you again, even though we're facebook friends forever. :)

Hello, Bluebastion!

Great looking tank, nice setup, despite some of your shipping hardships. Can you help me out and let me know what kind of light that is that came in? Is that an AI hydra?