Coral Vue Hydros

Slatts' Lagoon 25

eslatts11

Hey guys, new to nano-reefs.com. Have almost 3 years experience now in the hobby. Starting up a new build thread as I am in the process of moving and have to downsize to a smaller tank. My current tank that will be decommissioned here in a very few short weeks is the 75g Deep Blue Edge Rimless mixed reef drilled with the Synergy Reef 16" overflow with an ADHI 60g refugium sump. Before that I had a 60g Deep Blue Cube mixed reef with a 20g sump. Check my profile out if you want to see pics of either tank.

Lagoon 25 Build Equipment thus far:

Tunze Silence 1073.008

Tunze Comline DOC 9001

CustomCaddy

Cobalt Neotherm 75w

Lagoon 25 Equipment ill be re-purposing from my previous tanks:

Kessil 360we Tuna Blue

(2) Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6040

Neptune Apex - VDM, DOS, DDR, AFS

Tunze Osmolator

Spectrapure 90 GPD RO/DI

Avast K1 Kalk Stirrer

Lets get on to it. Last weekend I built the stand for my 25 Lagoon. I used 2x3's for the structure, a nice piece of Aspen for the top, and some thinner paneling for the sides with a black stain:

20170913_194347.jpg
20170913_194354.jpg
20170913_194403.jpg
20170913_194555.jpg

• Like 3
Thrassian Atoll

Nice!  Some great equipment you have for it.   Stand looks great.  Tons of room in there.  This has to be the most popular tank I think there is right now.    

3 hours ago, eslatts11 said:

Hey guys, new to nano-reefs.com. Have almost 3 years experience now in the hobby. Starting up a new build thread as I am in the process of moving and have to downsize to a smaller tank. My current tank that will be decommissioned here in a very few short weeks is the 75g Deep Blue Edge Rimless mixed reef drilled with the Synergy Reef 16" overflow with an ADHI 60g refugium sump. Before that I had a 60g Deep Blue Cube mixed reef with a 20g sump. Check my profile out if you want to see pics of either tank.

Lagoon 25 Build Equipment thus far:

Tunze Silence 1073.008

Tunze Comline DOC 9001

CustomCaddy

Cobalt Neotherm 75w

Lagoon 25 Equipment ill be re-purposing from my previous tanks:

Kessil 360we Tuna Blue

(2) Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6040

Neptune Apex - VDM, DOS, DDR, AFS

Tunze Osmolator

Spectrapure 90 GPD RO/DI

Avast K1 Kalk Stirrer

Lets get on to it. Last weekend I built the stand for my 25 Lagoon. I used 2x3's for the structure, a nice piece of Aspen for the top, and some thinner paneling for the sides with a black stain:

20170913_194347.jpg
20170913_194354.jpg
20170913_194403.jpg
20170913_194555.jpg

Gorgeous stand!  These tanks are really nice. :welcome: to Nano-Reef!

3 hours ago, TILTON said:

Nice!  Some great equipment you have for it.   Stand looks great.  Tons of room in there.  This has to be the most popular tank I think there is right now.    

Except maybe for the 10, those are everywhere! :lol:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, TILTON said:

Thanks! Wasn't a hard choice to pick, good price point and very sleek. 

7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Gorgeous stand!  These tanks are really nice. :welcome: to Nano-Reef!

Except maybe for the 10, those are everywhere! :lol:

Thanks, happy to be here! 

43 minutes ago, FishNCars said:

Great looking stand, should have done a DIY on that ;)

I know!:happy: Looking back on it, I'm mad at myself for not taking any pictures during the build.

I basically made two 2x3 rectangles, measuring 28"x24" inches, with one 2x3 support in the middle. Then connected them with three 2x3's per corner. Stand sits just below 36" inches tall. 24"x36" piece of Aspen on top,  routed with 3/8th inch bevel. Used 2 1/2" inch screws, black stain, and finished it with a sealer coat of polyurethane. 

• Like 1
On 9/16/2017 at 4:14 PM, FishNCars said:

I like the larger top, as it leaves space to put things down on while I'm working in the tank

Thanks! I actually was originally planning on only doing the quarter inch hangover on all sides like in the front, but then once I placed the piece of Aspen on top, I decided it looks good without being cut.

Modified the stock return plumbing to allow room to fit the Tunze 9001 skimmer:

20170918_124624.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the LFS this weekend, picked up some corals and decided to rescape the tank! Hammer and chiseled some of the larger LR pieces. Here is the new scape:

20171001_190741.jpg

20171001_191813.jpg

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll

Looking great.  I thought I moved quick!  Haha.  Is the skimmer fitting well with the single pump?  I ran 2 separate with mine to fit the 9001.

Edit:  looks like it fits fine.

7 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Looking great.  I thought I moved quick!  Haha.  Is the skimmer fitting well with the single pump?  I ran 2 separate with mine to fit the 9001.

Edit:  looks like it fits fine.

That's funny you say that, because I actually had to run to the LFS to get a specific sized barbed T fitting, and even had to cut it down so there there is only one barb left on the bottom side. This allowed the skimmer to sit at the right water level while maintaining the overflow through the weirs. The barbed T fitting I have pictured up above is from Menards and its way bigger than it needs to be for a 1/2" fitting.  It has a good inch on each end before the barbs start for some reason.

Just now, burtbollinger said:

looks nice...

Thanks!

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
4 minutes ago, eslatts11 said:

That's funny you say that, because I actually had to run to the LFS to get a specific sized barbed T fitting, and even had to cut it down so there there is only one barb left on the bottom side. This allowed the skimmer to sit at the right water level while maintaining the overflow through the weirs. The barbed T fitting I have pictured up above is from Menards and its way bigger than it needs to be for a 1/2" fitting.  It has a good inch on each end before the barbs start for some reason.

Thanks!

Yeah, I bought the same Tunze pump and tried a couple of ways to run the hose but couldn't get it to fit right.  I said screw it and just ran 2 eheim 600s.  ?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Nice borbonius and hawkfish! 

How do you like the tunze 6040? I am debating, if I should get the 6040 or 6055 to replace my loud and dying mp10. 

I like them a lot. Very quiet dc and am able to control the flow very well. The best part about them is the versatility. I used to run these in my 60g and 75g and now I can tone them down to create a nice flow for my 25g.

I would say if I did have a regret, it is the fact that there is not as tight of an integration with the Neptune Apex. With MP's, you can connect to the WXM module and it allows the use of all the presets that Ecotech offers (reef crest, wave, tidal, nutrient export, etc). Well with the Tunze 6040, you can connect to the variable speed ports and control them that way, but its not as easy as one would think. If you try to use the Wizard (timeline chart based configuration), you are limited to choosing only the time plotted points along with a power %, there is no option to create a variable flow that is random or a wave through the Wizard. So one must resort to using profiles. Here is my advanced coding of my left power head in my last tank:

If Time 08:00 to 12:00 Then DuskDawn
If Time 12:01 to 13:00 Then Day
If Time 13:01 to 14:00 Then Wave
If Time 14:01 to 14:15 Then Lt_Flush
If Time 14:16 to 15:00 Then Day
If Time 15:01 to 16:00 Then Wave
If Time 16:01 to 16:15 Then Lt_Flush
If Time 16:16 to 17:00 Then Day
If Time 17:01 to 18:00 Then Wave
If Time 18:01 to 18:15 Then Lt_Flush
If Time 18:16 to 19:00 Then Day
If Time 19:01 to 20:00 Then Wave
If Time 20:01 to 23:00 Then DuskDawn
If Time 00:00 to 07:59 Then Night

These are calls to my profiles DuskDawn, Day, Wave, Lt_Flush, and Night. Each profile has a different variation of these specific parameters to achieve the desired flow effect:

Type: Pump
Synchronize: Disable
Divide By 10: Disable
Initial Off Time: 0
On Time: 5
Off Time: 5
Minimum Intensity: 0
Maximum Intensity: 60

11 hours ago, eslatts11 said:

I like them a lot. Very quiet dc and am able to control the flow very well. The best part about them is the versatility. I used to run these in my 60g and 75g and now I can tone them down to create a nice flow for my 25g.

I would say if I did have a regret, it is the fact that there is not as tight of an integration with the Neptune Apex. With MP's, you can connect to the WXM module and it allows the use of all the presets that Ecotech offers (reef crest, wave, tidal, nutrient export, etc). Well with the Tunze 6040, you can connect to the variable speed ports and control them that way, but its not as easy as one would think. If you try to use the Wizard (timeline chart based configuration), you are limited to choosing only the time plotted points along with a power %, there is no option to create a variable flow that is random or a wave through the Wizard. So one must resort to using profiles. Here is my advanced coding of my left power head in my last tank:

If Time 08:00 to 12:00 Then DuskDawn
If Time 12:01 to 13:00 Then Day
If Time 13:01 to 14:00 Then Wave
If Time 14:01 to 14:15 Then Lt_Flush
If Time 14:16 to 15:00 Then Day
If Time 15:01 to 16:00 Then Wave
If Time 16:01 to 16:15 Then Lt_Flush
If Time 16:16 to 17:00 Then Day
If Time 17:01 to 18:00 Then Wave
If Time 18:01 to 18:15 Then Lt_Flush
If Time 18:16 to 19:00 Then Day
If Time 19:01 to 20:00 Then Wave
If Time 20:01 to 23:00 Then DuskDawn
If Time 00:00 to 07:59 Then Night

These are calls to my profiles DuskDawn, Day, Wave, Lt_Flush, and Night. Each profile has a different variation of these specific parameters to achieve the desired flow effect:

Type: Pump
Synchronize: Disable
Divide By 10: Disable
Initial Off Time: 0
On Time: 5
Off Time: 5
Minimum Intensity: 0
Maximum Intensity: 60

Thanks for the info! I'm not running a controller, so it won't be an issue for me. Since I plan on only getting 1 pump, I'm leaning towards the 6055 for the higher flow rate. Wish I could see them in action though, since LFS don't sell Tunzes here, so I can only blindly order them online. 

Want to move away from vortech, cus of the noise, and I don't want to worry about aligning the wetside with the dryside. I am a bit anal, and it bugs me not knowing if they are aligned perfectly! lol

Thrassian Atoll
26 minutes ago, Orangutran said:

Thanks for the info! I'm not running a controller, so it won't be an issue for me. Since I plan on only getting 1 pump, I'm leaning towards the 6055 for the higher flow rate. Wish I could see them in action though, since LFS don't sell Tunzes here, so I can only blindly order them online. 

Want to move away from vortech, cus of the noise, and I don't want to worry about aligning the wetside with the dryside. I am a bit anal, and it bugs me not knowing if they are aligned perfectly! lol

Do you have a quiet drive vortech pump?  My MP10 is super quiet.

4 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Umm... my mp10 is like 8-9 years old. It's the original with the blue controller box and dials. I've replaced the wetside once, but I'm sure the bearings in the motor are shot! I hear good things about the QD, but wouldn't mind trying out tunzes! Them Germans make good cars, so I'm sure they can easily make a pump. :) 

Thrassian Atoll
11 minutes ago, Orangutran said:

Umm... my mp10 is like 8-9 years old. It's the original with the blue controller box and dials. I've replaced the wetside once, but I'm sure the bearings in the motor are shot! I hear good things about the QD, but wouldn't mind trying out tunzes! Them Germans make good cars, so I'm sure they can easily make a pump. :) 

German autos have been pretty average over the past decade, but I get your point.  ?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, TILTON said:

2 hours ago, Orangutran said:

At the beginning of this year I purchased the MP40 wqd for my 75g, that is decommissioned now. The new quiet drives are insanely quiet, only slightly loud when you crank them to like 90%+ power, which you would almost never do, and if you did, it would only be that high for short periods of time like during a nutrient export mode. I do notice some sound coming from the 6040's but only when you run a profile which has a start/stop to the impeller (which is not very healthy for the power head to begin with).

As far as usability without a controller, the Tunze 6040's gives you 3 options to run. A pulse mode that you can control the pulse interval from 2-10 seconds with specific power %'s for your main and pulse. The main power and pulse power basically rotate on and off according to the pulse interval.  The second option which is both the Auto-Adjust, it will pulse very quickly between the main and pulse power and it will slow or speed up randomly between pulses (like intervals ranging from .25 second to 1 second) if left on this mode. If you find a desired wave pattern in the Auto-Adjust mode, then one can hit the Wave OK and it will lock in that pulse pattern.

I've never controlled an MP from their regular controllers, but it is my understanding that you still have the ability to use all of the presets (reef crest, wave, tidal, nutrient export, etc). I am unsure if you are able to set specific times of the day for specific presets from the controller, but I was able to do that from my Neptune Apex, which I liked a lot.

• 4 months later...

UPDATES UPDATES UPDATES, way past due, where do I even begin??

I am pleased to report that micro bubbles from the Tunze 9001 are FINALLY gone for good. Added a second Tunze Silence 1073.008. It was very tough getting the flow rate correct so the back chamber doesn't empty or get too low with both pumps running, but I managed to find the right balance using the pumps built-in flow control feature.

11/13/2017 -  Finally decided to do some bidding on AquaSD corals on Ebay:

20171113_131256.jpg

20171113_131439.jpg

11/17/2017 -  Frags mounted:
20171117_173600.jpg

11/18/2017 -  Trip to Lazy's Frag House, never disappoints:
20171118_164622.jpg

20171118_164645.jpg

12/16/2017 -  FTS and Rainbow Acan munching on some Mysis. Sorry about how blue the rest of these photos are. I originally just took them for my own keeping: 
20171208_183425.jpg

20171216_190422.jpg

1/13/2018 - Scoly right after he enjoyed some Reef Roids and Mysis:

MVIMG_20180113_185514.jpg

2/7/2018 - So my Lightning Maroon Clown started ripping polyps off my Golden Torch which led to this whole re-scape and power head placement change. Anemone is now tucked in the back right corner where the clown can't be such a butt anymore. My clown is also so particular about the way rocks are placed around him. If a rock is not secure, he will literally open his mouth against the rock and swim as fast as he can right into it.. he usually ends up either flipping it or pushing it all the way to the wall. This also gave me a good chance to revise my Tunze variable speed port profiles on my Apex. If you are ever interested in how to control pumps via variable speed ports with programming on Apex to achieve specific/random flow patterns throughout the day, hit me up. Also, just recently got a Jack-o-Lantern Lepto and a Bubble Gum Chalice from Lazy's:
IMG_20180207_223827.jpg

• eslatts11 changed the title to Slatts' Lagoon 25
  • 11 months later...

Holy crap, its been almost a year with no update on my thread I just realized!  In this time a lot has changed. Battled cyano a few times and ultimately won for good now! A lot of the corals have been growing nicely and growing into each other starting some battles, so I had to rearrange some things. Had to move the rock work around to keep my clown in the back corner of the tank with his nem so he stopped tearing at other corals! Tank is starting to near the 2 year mark now and things are really starting to take off.

MVIMG_20190128_200653.jpg

• Like 1