inTank Media Baskets

Dark Side of the Lagoon

Clown79

4 hours ago, vlangel said:

I have multiple blennies in my tank.  You can do it if they are different in shape and different types.  I have 2 barnacle blennies, 2 yellow head blennies (venomous) and 1 linear blenny(combtooth) They all get along well with each other.  The linear bites me however, LOL.

Really. Hmmm. You are giving me ideas. Lol. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Clown79 changed the title to Dark Side of the Moon Lagoon

My clowns have decided to host 2 frogspawns now, they are right next to eachother. sometimes together and sometimes separately, really depends on Pinks mood, she tells Floyd what to do and where to go. Bossy b$#^h. lol

My midas blenny is lazy. These are supposed to be swimmers. Frankie likes to sit in his home and jet out for a second or 2 then reverse right back in. He will not venture to the other side of my tank...it's like the dark side of the moon. All my fish hang out on one side and will not go to the other.

So for Christmas, Santa got me a Mighty Jet and an AI Prime HD...I know, it's well passed xmas but I had to mention it since it is part of the tanks journey

The mighty jet is really powerful, it's the 538gph model. I really like it except the water evaporates more, so I am filling my tank twice a day now. 

I don't run it on the wave mode, it's very loud on that mode, the kind of loud I can't ignore. I love the feed button, it's very convenient.

It was a tight fit in the chamber, the smaller model would fit perfectly.

Now my corals at first were not too pleased with the increased flow.

most of them bounced back and are liking how I have the flow set up...except my frogspawn.

My one frogspawn had to be moved, it was closed up from the flow and wouldn't open. Such a shame since it looked great where it was. I just noticed it is splitting from one head into 3 so there is a positive:)

I have had a hard time getting flow right in this tank. It's either too much or too little. I can't get a sway going at all. No matter where I placed my kps, no matter nozzle direction, flow settings, etc etc. I just can't get my frogspawns to sway and they always seem to not fully expand anymore.

So in my last effort I ordered RFG nozzles in hope to get some random flow going. Going to run my mighty jet a bit higher and cut the kps off. My other tanks have done wonderfully with just upgraded pumps and no powerheads, so I'm going to try that route on this tank.

I will give an update on the rfg flow once it's been more than a day.

I absolutely love the Prime HD. The colours really pop on my corals. I'm running the AB settings(acclimating to it) with David Saxby's schedule which I customized.

I have no shadowing with one on this tank.

Besides my frogspawn and mushrooms, I am seeing growth with everything else. Rics are slow growers so I am not concerned but my frogspawn, not sure. The one is finally splitting after 2.5yrs. The other one was bleached in another tank and nicely recovering but my original frogspawn, I lost 2 heads a few months back.

My params are pretty stable and I lost nothing else besides 2 headed hammer and 2 heads on my frogspawn. my other hammmers split during that time and look great. i checked for brown jelly, none. so I am not sure.

My new blasto was looking odd and when I went to investigate why it was all funky looking I found a bunch of baby heads. It's been really cool watching them grown from small little dots into pretty red heads.

the only new addition is a favia brain, I took it from my 5g. I placed my original prime from the lagoon on to the 5 g and the brain was damaged badly by too much light. 

I placed it in my lagoon in a low light area and it's recovering. Of course I forgot to take pics of the progress.

i also have a really pretty frag of a lime green monti cap.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

My clowns have decided to host 2 frogspawns now, they are right next to eachother. sometimes together and sometimes separately, really depends on Pinks mood, she tells Floyd what to do and where to go. Bossy b$#^h. lol

My midas blenny is lazy. These are supposed to be swimmers. Frankie likes to sit in his home and jet out for a second or 2 then reverse right back in. He will not venture to the other side of my tank...it's like the dark side of the moon. All my fish hang out on one side and will not go to the other.

So for Christmas, Santa got me a Mighty Jet and an AI Prime HD...I know, it's well passed xmas but I had to mention it since it is part of the tanks journey

The mighty jet is really powerful, it's the 538gph model. I really like it except the water evaporates more, so I am filling my tank twice a day now. 

I don't run it on the wave mode, it's very loud on that mode, the kind of loud I can't ignore. I love the feed button, it's very convenient.

It was a tight fit in the chamber, the smaller model would fit perfectly.

Now my corals at first were not too pleased with the increased flow.

most of them bounced back and are liking how I have the flow set up...except my frogspawn.

My one frogspawn had to be moved, it was closed up from the flow and wouldn't open. Such a shame since it looked great where it was. I just noticed it is splitting from one head into 3 so there is a positive:)

I have had a hard time getting flow right in this tank. It's either too much or too little. I can't get a sway going at all. No matter where I placed my kps, no matter nozzle direction, flow settings, etc etc. I just can't get my frogspawns to sway and they always seem to not fully expand anymore.

So in my last effort I ordered RFG nozzles in hope to get some random flow going. Going to run my mighty jet a bit higher and cut the kps off. My other tanks have done wonderfully with just upgraded pumps and no powerheads, so I'm going to try that route on this tank.

I will give an update on the rfg flow once it's been more than a day.

I absolutely love the Prime HD. The colours really pop on my corals. I'm running the AB settings(acclimating to it) with David Saxby's schedule which I customized.

I have no shadowing with one on this tank.

Besides my frogspawn and mushrooms, I am seeing growth with everything else. Rics are slow growers so I am not concerned but my frogspawn, not sure. The one is finally splitting after 2.5yrs. The other one was bleached in another tank and nicely recovering but my original frogspawn, I lost 2 heads a few months back.

My params are pretty stable and I lost nothing else besides 2 headed hammer and 2 heads on my frogspawn. my other hammmers split during that time and look great. i checked for brown jelly, none. so I am not sure.

My new blasto was looking odd and when I went to investigate why it was all funky looking I found a bunch of baby heads. It's been really cool watching them grown from small little dots into pretty red heads.

the only new addition is a favia brain, I took it from my 5g. I placed my original prime from the lagoon on to the 5 g and the brain was damaged badly by too much light. 

I placed it in my lagoon in a low light area and it's recovering. Of course I forgot to take pics of the progress.

i also have a really pretty frag of a lime green monti cap.

Dark side of the moon 😂  What a bunch of weirdos.........I wonder why?

• Haha 1

My tanks specs and routine have changed.

Specs

IM 25g lagoon

IM Mighty Jet pump

Aqamai KPS

RFG nozzles

Ai Prime HD

Liverock and Caribsea liferock

Caribsea sand 1/2"

sybon refractometer

Inkbird controller

Livestock

2 ocellaris clowns - Pink and Floyd

1 Midas Blenny - Frankie

2 Conchs

nassaurius, trochus, ceriths, and spiny star astrea, hermits

Corals

Gold hammers

Yellow jacket frogspawn

green frogspawn

Purple Frogspawn

Red and lime Monti Cap

Red monti digi

Lime Styllophora

Superman monti

2 gorgonians

orange nacho chalice

age of aquarius acan

ruby red acan

nylan cat acan

ultra yellow acan

red cherry blasto

red on red blasto

orange rics, purple rics, pink ric, red ric

Orange fungia

red gracilaria

Maintenance

Waterchange every 1-2 weeks  with Red Sea Blue Bucket

Before the waterchange I target feed with Aquaforest or Reef Roids mixed with frozen mysis and cyclops. 

- scrape glass with flip mag

- use the turkey baster on my rocks, lightly around corals

- brush my nozzles and kps with tooth brush

- vaccuum sand and siphon water 

- every other week siphon my back chambers

- check heater and probes

- rinse media bags, change floss

- test the alk and sg after waterchange

- every 3 months clean pump and hoses

- remove dust from light fan as needed

- mid week stir sand and turkey baste rocks

- feed fish daily: New life Spectrum Thera A pellets, Omega pellets(alternate)

: 2 times a week is frozen mysis or Omega One reef blend

test alk 2 times a week 

test nitrates, mag, ca every 3-4 wks

Reef Products

Kent Carbon - use 1 media bag, changed every 2 weeks

Purigen - 1 media bag changed when exhausted

Seapora filter floss - changed 2-3 times a week

Aquavitro Fuel - dose 1/wk

Esv Bionic 2 part - every other day

Aquaforest or Reef roids - broadcast 1 time a week, spot fed 1 time a week with frozen food

Changes I made:

Phosguard use to be used regularly in very small quantities. Since stopping things have improved. Corals are happier. I will only use it if it's necessary.

Switched from Aquaforest Salt to Red Sea BB - i prefer the parameters of BB, like Red Sea salts and i no longer am getting a weird film algae on my glass. My corals are happy

No longer use the Aquaforest build and energy. I found I always had algae blooms after in the tanks I used them in. Plus the products dried out in the bottle well before expiry. i will not replace them, i saw no difference with their use besides the algae

I haven't tested for phos in a really long time. I always got reading of 0 so I stopped when my salifert ran out.

I do less frequent waterchanges. I still do the same amount but usually I wait more than a week and its working well. 

dark side of the moon lagoon2.jpg

topdown 3.jpg

topdown 4.jpg

topdown 5.jpg

top down clown.jpg

clownattack.jpg

clownattack 2.jpg

blasto.jpg

frankie2.jpg

conch.jpg

fishies.jpg

• Like 9
12 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Dark side of the moon 😂  What a bunch of weirdos.........I wonder why?

I have no clue. My clowns have always done it since hosting, they will venture to the other side but scurry back to home quickly.

Blenny won't even go after food that drifts passed a certain point. Its comical.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I have no clue. My clowns have always done it since hosting, they will venture to the other side but scurry back to home quickly.

Blenny won't even go after food that drifts passed a certain point. Its comical.

That’s so crazy. 😄

Everything looks great. 

7 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

That’s so crazy. 😄

Everything looks great. 

Thank you.

I have been trying to coax the blenny to try the other side but nope, he won't even go after food.😒 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Clown79 said:

My tanks specs and routine have changed.

Specs

IM 25g lagoon

IM Mighty Jet pump

Aqamai KPS

RFG nozzles

Ai Prime HD

Liverock and Caribsea liferock

Caribsea sand 1/2"

sybon refractometer

Inkbird controller

Livestock

2 ocellaris clowns - Pink and Floyd

1 Midas Blenny - Frankie

2 Conchs

nassaurius, trochus, ceriths, and spiny star astrea, hermits

Corals

Gold hammers

Yellow jacket frogspawn

green frogspawn

Purple Frogspawn

Red and lime Monti Cap

Red monti digi

Lime Styllophora

Superman monti

2 gorgonians

orange nacho chalice

age of aquarius acan

ruby red acan

nylan cat acan

ultra yellow acan

red cherry blasto

red on red blasto

orange rics, purple rics, pink ric, red ric

Orange fungia

red gracilaria

Maintenance

Waterchange every 1-2 weeks  with Red Sea Blue Bucket

Before the waterchange I target feed with Aquaforest or Reef Roids mixed with frozen mysis and cyclops. 

- scrape glass with flip mag

- use the turkey baster on my rocks, lightly around corals

- brush my nozzles and kps with tooth brush

- vaccuum sand and siphon water 

- every other week siphon my back chambers

- check heater and probes

- rinse media bags, change floss

- test the alk and sg after waterchange

- every 3 months clean pump and hoses

- remove dust from light fan as needed

- mid week stir sand and turkey baste rocks

- feed fish daily: New life Spectrum Thera A pellets, Omega pellets(alternate)

: 2 times a week is frozen mysis or Omega One reef blend

test alk 2 times a week 

test nitrates, mag, ca every 3-4 wks

Reef Products

Kent Carbon - use 1 media bag, changed every 2 weeks

Purigen - 1 media bag changed when exhausted

Seapora filter floss - changed 2-3 times a week

Aquavitro Fuel - dose 1/wk

Esv Bionic 2 part - every other day

Aquaforest or Reef roids - broadcast 1 time a week, spot fed 1 time a week with frozen food

Changes I made:

Phosguard use to be used regularly in very small quantities. Since stopping things have improved. Corals are happier. I will only use it if it's necessary.

Switched from Aquaforest Salt to Red Sea BB - i prefer the parameters of BB, like Red Sea salts and i no longer am getting a weird film algae on my glass. My corals are happy

No longer use the Aquaforest build and energy. I found I always had algae blooms after in the tanks I used them in. Plus the products dried out in the bottle well before expiry. i will not replace them, i saw no difference with their use besides the algae

I haven't tested for phos in a really long time. I always got reading of 0 so I stopped when my salifert ran out.

I do less frequent waterchanges. I still do the same amount but usually I wait more than a week and its working well. 

dark side of the moon lagoon2.jpg

topdown 3.jpg

topdown 4.jpg

topdown 5.jpg

top down clown.jpg

clownattack.jpg

clownattack 2.jpg

blasto.jpg

frankie2.jpg

conch.jpg

fishies.jpg

Love love love this tank and reading how you maintain and change it!!

Do you think you don’t have shadowing with the Prime because of your coral placement or do the optics allow coverage from side to side?  I’ve read posts from others that make it seem like it doesn’t quite cover the 25 lagoon. 

5 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Love love love this tank and reading how you maintain and change it!!

Do you think you don’t have shadowing with the Prime because of your coral placement or do the optics allow coverage from side to side?  I’ve read posts from others that make it seem like it doesn’t quite cover the 25 lagoon. 

Thank you.

The only shadowing I get is near the back due to the rock shape and returns. 

There is light from side to side. 

I've had to put all lower light corals on the edges because they were not doing good in the direct light.

Prime HD spread is 24x24

Regular prime is 18x18

I've lost quite a few corals and the cause was too much light or too much flow. Most common was light.

the brain that's recovering in my 25g, it was under the reg. Prime off to the side, not even directly in light and it was fried.

Its currently recovering in the back of my 25g where the lowest light is. Its bounced back in a week...thank goodness because it's really pretty.

Shadowing will always occur once corals get very large but to me, that's where proper placement of corals comes in. 

• Like 1

I think I got the flow perfected for my tank.

Put the mighty jet on wave mode at 100%, put my kps lower in the tank on wave mode 100% and running the rfg's.

I have a nice sway going on now. 

Finally!

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

You have plating mystic sunset (upper right corner of photo)?  been trying to get mine to plate out, but so far encrusting only 😒

The large red monti, I didn't know it was called that.

It took a while to get it going. For the longest time nothing happened, it even lost colour. Then one day bam, it started to grow and hasn't stopped!

I have a superman encrusting monti in the middle of the tank. That one went very dark, is now lightening up. I am giving it time because a lot of ppl say monti's take time to grow but once they start, that's it.

I haven't had luck with the encrusting monti's.

22 minutes ago, Newstead said:

Gorgeous tank. Thanks for posting your routine, etc. - always interested in how great tanks are maintained!

Plus, love the name - last saw PF in 94!

Thank you.

Its nice being able to read everyones journals and see what everyone does. It can be very helpful.

Lucky you. I wish I had seen them. Love PF.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Lucky you. I wish I had seen them. Love PF.

The really good thing about being old - I got to see most of the great ones - Hendrix, Who, Led Zeppelin, etc. Going to my 7th Stones concert in April ! (Saw PF 4 times).

11 minutes ago, Newstead said:

The really good thing about being old - I got to see most of the great ones - Hendrix, Who, Led Zeppelin, etc. Going to my 7th Stones concert in April ! (Saw PF 4 times).

Lol. The best thing about being older or getting older is the music we experienced. the new stuff is just not the same. 

I love all the bands you listed, unfortunately I didn't get to see them because I'm a few yrs behind.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Although one of my rfg's was cracked it's working ok, just an odd bubble here and there. 

I contacted VCA and they have shipped out a new one. Customer service by VCA was great. I got a response to my email within an hour and they immediately offered a replacement although I didn't purchase it directly from them but a store. 

I gotta say I love the rfg nozzles. I was hesitant especially since they aren't cheap but since adding them everything has been super happy. 

• Clown79 changed the title to Dark Side of the Lagoon
  • 3 weeks later...

Well things have gotten pretty sh&$ty with my tank.

I did my normal weekly waterchange and testing.  2 days later went away to a coral show overnight. Came back to all my euphyllia being shrunk up as well as my stylo. All else was fine. noticed some web like stringy stuff on my rocks...

Did tests, everything was pretty normal besides low nitrate.

Did a waterchange next day and things didn't improve.

Started looking into this further.....

I have Dino's, I believe its Ostreopsis, which of course one of the worst and most toxic.

I am becoming too knowledgeable of Dino's from all the reading I have been doing and these jerks are resilient.

I believe mine is from lack of nutrients and biodiversity. I had no algae in my tank besides dragons breath which was where the dino's started and continued to flourish in. So I have removed the macro algae because trying to suck out the dino's was impossible.

My nitrates use to sit at 7 and my phos was religiously always 0 so I stopped testing. Purchased a Hanna ULR and sure enough 0. My nitrates had dropped to about 1-2ppm.

Now they are 0.

Ostreopsis loves ULN and thrive in these conditions so I am employing the dirty and natural method. 

I am not doing waterchanges because new water feeds dino's

No amino acids or vitamins, dino's love them too.

I tried peroxide - bad mistake. It does nothing for this strain of Dino's, if anything they got worse because peroxide can kill off some beneficial bacteria which essentially is killing off Dino competitor.

No blackouts, they are just bandaids for most dino strains and come back with lights on.

What I am doing

- I purchased a cheap microscope to determine the strain. Thank you @Tamberav for the suggestion.

- Changing filter floss every other day when it is full

- changing carbon weekly to reduce toxins

- reduced photo period to 7 hrs and reduced the percentage to about 65% for RB, B, V, UV. W 10% 9 ( this keeps dino's at bay)

- only dosing ALK and CA

- introduced 24oz of copepods, 16oz of rotifers, dosing phytoplankton ( these are the major competitors of dino's)

- in the evening when dino's are at their worse,  I am sucking up the dino's with a turkey baster, I run the water through a filter sock which is filled with 2 pieces of floss. The water is  then returned to the tank because I do not want to add new water to the tank besides FW top up.

- I am not blowing the dino off because that spreads them. This works if you can use Marine Snow, filter sock and skimmer. Otherwise, my dino's seemed to spread when I blew them off the rock.

- i am also feeding heavily to try to increase nutrients as I can't dose nitrates - potassium nitrate is banned in CA.

I am also wearing eyewear, a mask, armpit length gloves, and keep window open just to be safe because this stuff can be toxic.

Any floss or removed items are thrown in a garbage bag and disposed of. My kitchen sink and counters are thoroughly sanitized using cleaner with bleach (bleach kills dino)

there is no sharing of anything between my tanks to prevent any chance of spreading.

so far I have only lost a conch and my gorg which was smothered in the dino's.

my euphyllia are reacting the worst. They are closing up more everyday and a few are receding. My one blasto is now acting up which is a shame because it was growing a ton of new heads.

My plate, acans, monti are fine. My rics are not as open as normal but so far ok.

My worst fear is losing everything but most of all my plate which is very unique. My fish as well.

i am trying to stay positive but i know this battle is a crap shoot to beat.

i luckily will have the new pico contest to keep my spirits up!

• Sad 2
  • Wow 2

Here are some pics of the current situation

My glass is pretty nasty right now but lights are out so I'll post a pic tmw...not scraping it is killing me. Lol

20190316_155217.jpg

20190316_155157.jpg

20190317_154730.jpg

20190317_160255.jpg

20190317_161206.jpg

20190328_234916.jpg

20190324_183153.jpg

20190324_183141.jpg

20190324_182306.jpg

• Sad 3
Snow_Phoenix
7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Here are some pics of the current situation

My glass is pretty nasty right now but lights are out so I'll post a pic tmw...not scraping it is killing me. Lol

20190316_155217.jpg

20190316_155157.jpg

20190317_154730.jpg

20190317_160255.jpg

20190317_161206.jpg

20190328_234916.jpg

20190324_183153.jpg

20190324_183141.jpg

20190324_182306.jpg

My sympathies, Clown. I have no experience with Dinos (which is on hindsight, a good thing) so I'm not sure how to offer advice on how to treat it either. 😞 

2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

My sympathies, Clown. I have no experience with Dinos (which is on hindsight, a good thing) so I'm not sure how to offer advice on how to treat it either. 😞 

Thank you. I really appreciate that.

I hope you never ever have to deal with them 😁

I'm documenting this so that hopefully if any of it works maybe it can help someone.

• Like 2