Dark Side of the Lagoon

Clown79

1 hour ago, specore said:

This is my 30L

Before cheato:

image.thumb.png.630058400d5c0b3fe18c8da5a32b5c4e.png

After cheato:

image.thumb.png.db4a7e36070184b3270bbaf8de982b1f.png

pH runs a little higher, but the swings are about the same even with running cheato from 7pm to 12pm

Cool chart. You can see the difference in ph stability. 

What do you use to monitor the ph?

• Like 1

Looking good. 

Red Sea blue bucket is my favorite salt. Not sold at the SW store and the LFS that does sell it has it priced at 115 or something near there for the big bucket.

So I use H2Ocean which is similiar but its a more reasonable 95/bucket.

Aquaforest seems to have lost popularity out here was a popular fad for a couple years then kind of vanished.

May end up going back to reef crystals as its the only salt consistently sold. Its by far the most popular salt out this way. I just hate the residue it leaves behind.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, squamptonbc said:

Looking good. 

Red Sea blue bucket is my favorite salt. Not sold at the SW store and the LFS that does sell it has it priced at 115 or something near there for the big bucket.

So I use H2Ocean which is similiar but its a more reasonable 95/bucket.

Aquaforest seems to have lost popularity out here was a popular fad for a couple years then kind of vanished.

May end up going back to reef crystals as its the only salt consistently sold. Its by far the most popular salt out this way. I just hate the residue it leaves behind.

Rc and io is most often seen here too but I liked neither.

I order mine from reefsupplies.ca I get it in 2-3 days. Otherwise the only place to pick it up is an hr away.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 9/19/2018 at 12:52 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Wow, the SPS have really taken off based on your previous photos! It's really looking nice @Clown79, it won't be long before it's been one year of the lagoon!

Thanks Chris.

The birdsnest grew so much that is was blocking light and taking space from other corals. I have removed it to open things up. My Styllo already is getting more light.

• Like 1

I finally got my Midas Blenny.

He was added 4 days ago after a month of qt. He is so cool. We named him Frankie- we are music lovers and his blue eyes reminded me of good ole Sinatra.

He's getting along well with the clowns so far.

I had some issues arise. Out of nowhere 2 frogspawn have been closed up for 2 weeks. not sure why but one thing I questioned was flow, it didn't seem right after a waterchange. 

So through some trial and error, I realized my KPS was not working properly. On 100% there was NO movement to any coral not directly in front of the pump, before I couldn't run the pump higher than 80% without things being blown everywhere. Now on any setting, the corals are standing still.

Looks like I will be sending the KPS in for repair/replacement so I have my hydor 420 in there for now. 

I finally got to go to a reef show. We don't have many here and the one I went to was really small but I got some good deals. I lucked out with orange rics...I love rics:)

Besides these few things, things have been going well. My gold hammers have split. There are 4-6 heads each one...now if i could only get my frogspawns to grow, they are the one thing that simply hasn't grown in over a year.

midas.jpg

midas 2.jpg

plate.jpg

orange.jpg

rics.jpg

blasto.jpg

287.jpg

1979.jpg

• Like 10
  • Wow 2
14 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

He was added 4 days ago after a month of qt. He is so cool. We named him Frankie- we are music lovers and his blue eyes reminded me of good ole Sinatra.

I had some issues arise. Out of nowhere 2 frogspawn have been closed up for 2 weeks. not sure why but one thing I questioned was flow, it didn't seem right after a waterchange. 

So through some trial and error, I realized my KPS was not working properly. On 100% there was NO movement to any coral not directly in front of the pump, before I couldn't run the pump higher than 80% without things being blown everywhere. Now on any setting, the corals are standing still.

Looks like I will be sending the KPS in for repair/replacement so I have my hydor 420 in there for now. 

I finally got to go to a reef show. We don't have many here and the one I went to was really small but I got some good deals. I lucked out with orange rics...I love rics:)

Besides these few things, things have been going well. My gold hammers have split. There are 4-6 heads each one...now if i could only get my frogspawns to grow, they are the one thing that simply hasn't grown in over a year.

midas.jpg

midas 2.jpg

plate.jpg

orange.jpg

rics.jpg

blasto.jpg

287.jpg

1979.jpg

I love Frankie!!  

Everything looks good. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Looks awesome! I like Midas blennys but I have 0/2 now because they were both assholes after a couple months. Plenty of people don't have issues though so I feel pretty unlucky. 

That plate looks fantastic! I want some plates but the ones I have seen locally didn't look healthy enough to buy. 

14 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Looks awesome! I like Midas blennys but I have 0/2 now because they were both assholes after a couple months. Plenty of people don't have issues though so I feel pretty unlucky. 

That plate looks fantastic! I want some plates but the ones I have seen locally didn't look healthy enough to buy. 

I've lucked out with most blenny's but it's so funny how we all have different experiences with the same type of fish.

My pink streaked wrasse was a murderer yet its supposed to be docile...

I purchased not so healthy plates before, I won't do that again. They didn't bounce back. I like buying the needs tlc corals but plates are not one I will do again. 

This plate I was on a waiting list for. The store I got it from, the mother plate pops out babies every few mnths.

It's my favourite.

18 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I love Frankie!!  

Everything looks good. 🙂

Thank you!

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
36 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

midas.jpg

midas 2.jpg

plate.jpg

orange.jpg

rics.jpg

blasto.jpg

287.jpg

1979.jpg

Clown that is so good looking :-) Love the blenny by the way....You're making me wanna buy another lol

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

we all have different experiences with the same type of fish.

Everyone says that clowns are dicks and my is still really nice. It is pretty cool to hear different experiences with the same animals. Kinda like people though...so are nice and some not so nice lol

9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I've lucked out with most blenny's but it's so funny how we all have different experiences with the same type of fish.

My pink streaked wrasse was a murderer yet its supposed to be docile...

I purchased not so healthy plates before, I won't do that again. They didn't bounce back. I like buying the needs tlc corals but plates are not one I will do again. 

This plate I was on a waiting list for. The store I got it from, the mother plate pops out babies every few mnths.

It's my favourite.

Thank you!

My last Midas became so mean I replaced him with a sixline so have something more 'peaceful' lol I love the way they swim though so I am sure I will try a 3rd someday in some new tank...

but yeah.. fish are different... I remember a nano-reef member's occy fish would grab other fish and feed it to the BTA... mine are so docile its hard to imagine that but my 1st clown 10 years ago was a mean little shit... so ya never know.

I remember you had that killer pom pom crab yet I always keep them and no issues even with tiny green banded gobies and such. 

Thanks for the heads up on the plates, I will be sure not to risk it. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Sometimes the wrong combo of fish (not even species, just individual personalities!) can illicit the weirdest behaviors.  I had a pretty chill maroon female years ago, she was supposed to be a terror.  I had two clowns that were from the same hatch literally fight to the death when they were barely 3/4" long.  

At any rate, beautiful reef!

• Like 1

Everything looks wonderful.  I love Midas blennies.  I had a real sweetheart of one about 5 years ago and I loved it.  I rehomed it when I got into ponies.

• Like 2

Frankie is so cute! Love the blasto, and plate. 

17 hours ago, Tamberav said:

but yeah.. fish are different... I remember a nano-reef member's occy fish would grab other fish and feed it to the BTA... mine are so docile its hard to imagine that but my 1st clown 10 years ago was a mean little shit... so ya never know.

I remember you had that killer pom pom crab yet I always keep them and no issues even with tiny green banded gobies and such. 

What a crazy story! That was one mean clownfish haha. My pom pom crab Shelby turned out to be a murderer,  and I remember a video of someone's pom pom crab scooping up tiny blue leg hermits and dragging them to her lair!

They really do have different personalities.

My female clown can be bossy but she's not been dangerous to others besides me 🤣 yet my other female clown in my 10g was so aggressive the shrimp and her mate would hide all the time. 

She got rehired, so did my murdering Pink streak wrasse.

My pom pom' were murderers. Killed hermits, killed snails, pretty sure 1 killed my blenny, I watched them fight in a pico and 1 ended up dead. Craziness for such a tiny little thing.

I love blenny's! I wish they could be kept together cause I'd have more.

• Like 4

What great build.  One of the best Lagoons I've seen thus far.  Your scape and coral selection are perfectly proportioned for this setup!  Keep up the great work.  

• Like 2
5 hours ago, --chris-- said:

LOL

pom poms = pyschos with blood lust?  

Some of them! :lol: Though most I've had are very shy and retiring little guys. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I love blenny's! I wish they could be kept together cause I'd have more.

I have multiple blennies in my tank.  You can do it if they are different in shape and different types.  I have 2 barnacle blennies, 2 yellow head blennies (venomous) and 1 linear blenny(combtooth) They all get along well with each other.  The linear bites me however, LOL.

8 hours ago, DCUEVAS74 said:

What great build.  One of the best Lagoons I've seen thus far.  Your scape and coral selection are perfectly proportioned for this setup!  Keep up the great work.  

Thank you so much! 

• Clown79 changed the title to Dark Side of the Lagoon