Top Shelf Aquatics

Dark Side of the Lagoon

Clown79

1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

You did a great job documenting the battle against the dino's. We all thank you for your diligence and for sharing.

Thank you. I really appreciate the nice words.

I hope it can help others in prevention because these guys are resilient a$#holes and if not prevention, I hope it can make others life easier during treatment.

😁

• Like 1
1 hour ago, frahny said:

Are you still running a single prime over this? 

No. I had an extra 1 from another tank I shut down.

I am running 2 on low settings 

4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

No. I had an extra 1 from another tank I shut down.

I am running 2 on low settings 

Right on, I just ordered 2 for the 28.2 waterbox build Im working on. Similar foot print really.

Thanks,

• Like 1
On 5/13/2019 at 3:11 PM, frahny said:

Right on, I just ordered 2 for the 28.2 waterbox build Im working on. Similar foot print really.

Thanks,

Yw.

• 3 weeks later...

@Clown79 Congratulations on your TOTM!!!!! fantastic and well deserved. Two questions, can you elaborate on your pod hotel or however your referred to it? Did you create a sanctuary or fuge of sorts? Also, you stated you are running AB+ care to share your settings and schedule? Tank as always is looking stellar.

Thanks,

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, frahny said:

@Clown79 Congratulations on your TOTM!!!!! fantastic and well deserved. Two questions, can you elaborate on your pod hotel or however your referred to it? Did you create a sanctuary or fuge of sorts? Also, you stated you are running AB+ care to share your settings and schedule? Tank as always is looking stellar.

Thanks,

Sure can.

So pod condo, its really a sanctuary to be placed in a sump/back chamber where pods are safe for reproduction.

You can buy pre made ones but diy is cheaper and works the same.

I made a small cylinder out of craft mesh, placed liverock rubble in it. It sits in the back chamber.

I seeded pods to the display and sump, I dose phyto 1 time a week now.

My lighting schedule was altered during dino treatment.

I run my lights lower because my corals were losing colour on full spectrum.

Had an issue getting a screen shot of my schedule, the times are not correct but the percentages are.

The last pic is my pod condo.

You can also make one out of corrugated plastic and zip tie a piece of liverock to it. The books and crannies of the plastic are a safe haven for them.

Screenshot_20190604-172215.jpeg

Screenshot_20190604-172356.jpeg

20190601_191524.jpg

2013-08-15 20.13.19.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Sure can.

So pod condo, its really a sanctuary to be placed in a sump/back chamber where pods are safe for reproduction.

You can buy pre made ones but diy is cheaper and works the same.

I made a small cylinder out of craft mesh, placed liverock rubble in it. It sits in the back chamber.

I seeded pods to the display and sump, I dose phyto 1 time a week now.

My lighting schedule was altered during dino treatment.

I run my lights lower because my corals were losing colour on full spectrum.

Had an issue getting a screen shot of my schedule, the times are not correct but the percentages are.

The last pic is my pod condo.

You can also make one out of corrugated plastic and zip tie a piece of liverock to it. The books and crannies of the plastic are a safe haven for them.

Screenshot_20190604-172215.jpeg

20190601_191524.jpg

2013-08-15 20.13.19.jpg

Super cool! Thank you for the break down! Ill have to try that. Nothing wrong with a safe haven for pods! 

9 hours ago, frahny said:

Super cool! Thank you for the break down! Ill have to try that. Nothing wrong with a safe haven for pods! 

Exactly. Cost a buck for a large sheet of the plastic mesh and 10 mins with zip ties. I had to give it a try.

To replenish your tank of pods, simply pull the condo out, shake it into display or leave it there for a few hrs to a day and then replace in sump

• Like 2

Hi @Clown79,

I will be upgrading my IM10 by end of August, so I wanted to thank you for documenting all the details of your move. It is very helpful while prepping. 

One question, did you run the prime on the 15g tank? If not, how did you acclimate the corals to the new light?

3 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

Hi @Clown79,

I will be upgrading my IM10 by end of August, so I wanted to thank you for documenting all the details of your move. It is very helpful while prepping. 

One question, did you run the prime on the 15g tank? If not, how did you acclimate the corals to the new light?

You're Welcome.

I thought it could be helpful to have an easy breakdown of a transfer. It was my first transfer,

So I was concerned.  

I originally ran a par38 on the 15g, then a regular Prime. I did acclimate. I started the Prime at 35% and increased it 5% a week. 

If I remember correctly my light eventually was eventually:

RB 100%

B 90%

Uv 85%

V 80%

W 15%

R & G 4%

Now I run a Prime and Prime HD on the lagoon but I learned quickly, my corals didn't like the lights up very high. Things shrunk, not much growth. 

Because of my current rock work, I get a better full out spread with 2 lights, if I designed the aquascape differently or did coral placement differently, 1 Prime would have worked as I ran 1 Prime for a while...then I got a Monti cap😆

• Like 2

Tanks been doing great. Seen a lot of growth and things are getting full.

The Stylo I lost to a parasite must have at 1 point spawned in my tank because I'm finding patches of stylo growing and nowhere near where the mother colony was. 

Never got my fish. Its available for order but never in stock. I really hope I can get a Starcki but it's looking grim. I found 1 in another province but it was $65 just to ship it.

Got myself a gorgeous torch. Glow torch with pink tips.

I couldn't leave it in the store😉

20190609_194558.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
  • 3 months later...

I forgot to document a problem I had in my tank after I got rid of dino's.

Philaster Parasite.

I started losing certain corals weeks after the dino outbreak.  First it started with Stylo, within 3 days it was basically gone. They devoured it. 

The stylo must have spawned without me knowing because I have 2 new stylo's growing and I never fragged it. So I lucked out.

Then I lost a head of my golden hammer to it. I fragged the piece off and it saved the remaining heads.

The third coral was my beautiful red acan, it was one of the first acans I had. I watched it grow from 2 heads to a full colony. It was absolutely fine, nothing wrong with it, no known injury.

I woke up to the philaster parasite destroying it.

I tried dipping the coral first in coral dip, that did nothing, then I decided might as well try peroxide, that definitely did nothing, neither did fresh water dip. I tried what I could while the acan was put into QT. There was no saving it.

I have posted the pics of the gradual 4 day process of the philaster parasite. after the third pic, there was only a white skeleton left.

This happened back in June and I thought it was something I should share with others.

20190620_124833.jpg

20190622_015800.jpg

20190623_124758.jpg

• Sad 3
  • Wow 1

So since my dino and philaster experience, everything has been going pretty good besides my torches not doing great. In my lagoon, I just can't keep torches and I think it has something to do with flow/placement. Where there was room for them, there wasn't enough flow for them and increasing the flow ticked off the lower flow corals like my plate so I have moved the torches to my 20g hoping they will bounce back.

My leather and Monti have both grown so much that I had to rearrange corals in my tank. I also had to adjust my flow up near the top because the sps was losing some flesh around their bases which is usually caused from lack of flow. I now have 3 rfg's on my return, 1 return has a splitter for 2 rfg's.

I also increased my photo period by 1 hour of Prime lighting and 30mins ramp down. I had lowered it during dino treatment.

Since I use a regular prime and an HD I have had to play with percentages to get the regular prime wattage up. I still need to slowly increase the regular prime.

So my new lighting schedule is as follows

Regular Prime 17watts

Ramp up 12:30-1:30pm

1:30-8:30pm

DB, UV, V  = 75%

B = 65%

1:30-7:30pm

White = goes from 10% to 15% to 6% 

0 white after 7:30

1:30 - 5:30pm

R&G = 5%

0 after 5:30

Ramp down 8:30-10pm then moonlighting following the moon phase from 10pm - 2am.

Prime HD 21watts

Ramp up 12:30 - 1:30pm 

1:30-8:30pm

DB,UV,V 70%

B 65%

1:30 -7:30pm

White (same as reg. prime)

1:30 - 5:30

R&G (same as reg. prime)

Ramp Down and moonlighting the same as Prime.

• Like 5

The philaster burned itself out without additional treatment? Interesting stuff, I wonder if the Dino's left the coral susceptible or if something changes within the animal itself allowing for other opportunists to move in, it could very well be that coral expend all their antibacterial alleopaths and energy fighting against being actively-consumed by Dino's and just have nothing left to stop other aggressive organisms... I'm sure one day someone will have a real study giving us a good idea, with all the investigation into white and brown ring disease it's likely only a matter of time. 

Sorry to hear about the torches, but it's wonderful to hear everything else has been growing and doing well!

1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

The philaster burned itself out without additional treatment? Interesting stuff, I wonder if the Dino's left the coral susceptible or if something changes within the animal itself allowing for other opportunists to move in, it could very well be that coral expend all their antibacterial alleopaths and energy fighting against being actively-consumed by Dino's and just have nothing left to stop other aggressive organisms... I'm sure one day someone will have a real study giving us a good idea, with all the investigation into white and brown ring disease it's likely only a matter of time. 

Sorry to hear about the torches, but it's wonderful to hear everything else has been growing and doing well!

Unfortunately there is no known treatment for philaster, the only 1 "treatment" is questionable, a product that has had adverse effects or no improvement.

Hopefully as we advance, we can determine more on cause and treatment.

Odd thing, my pico had dino too yet no philaster. 

• Like 2
On 3/28/2019 at 10:42 PM, Clown79 said:

- in the evening when dino's are at their worse,  I am sucking up the dino's with a turkey baster, I run the water through a filter sock which is filled with 2 pieces of floss. The water is  then returned to the tank because I do not want to add new water to the tank besides FW top up.

That's a really good idea.  I tried running my water through a filter sock but it didn't catch any of the dinos...I'll give the floss a try tonight.  👍

On 9/24/2019 at 6:20 PM, Clown79 said:

Here's some pics.

20190924_175638.jpg

20190924_174954.jpg

20190924_181707.jpg

20190920_214508.jpg

20190920_214557.jpg

20190924_174522.jpg

20190924_174939.jpg

20190924_174349.jpg

sorry about all the troubles......I had never heard of that parasite before and had to do some reading......the tank still looks great. 😊

also, I love those red Blastos!

2 hours ago, j.falk said:

That's a really good idea.  I tried running my water through a filter sock but it didn't catch any of the dinos...I'll give the floss a try tonight.  👍

What I did was used 2 layers of floss in the sock

32 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

sorry about all the troubles......I had never heard of that parasite before and had to do some reading......the tank still looks great. 😊

also, I love those red Blastos!

Thank you. It's gotten better now. 

It was a learning experience, that's for sure.

I really love blasto's, the colours!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, lilmatty5dimes said:

Wow tank looks great. I just picked up a lagoon 25 for a downgrade from a 120. Love your blasto and acans. Great lil collection. 

I have a thing for blasto's, theres a really awesome colony at the lfs but I want only a frag and they haven't fragged it. Yellow and red, which I think would be awesome!

• Like 4

I can't rememeber but I added a bangaii to this tank. I qt'd it for 3 weeks. It had been in the lfs display tank for months and it was very healthy.

What a great addition. Since adding the bangaii my other fish are now swimming around the tank which is great since they only had their areas and rarely left...odd bunch.

My clowns are like best buds with the bangaii, they swim with him. 

I think I have really lucked out with these clowns, they have never been aggressive with any new fish additions. Sometimes there is a bit of a face off between the midas and my female clown but nothing serious, more like get out of my area and we'll be fine. lol.

My orange blasto( i call it watercolour because thats what it looks like) has looked odd since taking it from the pico but I think it's because there are a bunch of baby heads that have grown!

• Like 3
On 9/24/2019 at 11:20 PM, Clown79 said:

Here's some pics.

20190924_175638.jpg

20190924_174954.jpg

20190924_181707.jpg

20190920_214508.jpg

20190920_214557.jpg

20190924_174522.jpg

20190924_174939.jpg

20190924_174349.jpg

On 9/28/2019 at 3:11 PM, Clown79 said:

What I did was used 2 layers of floss in the sock

Thank you. It's gotten better now. 

It was a learning experience, that's for sure.

I really love blasto's, the colours!

Those are indeed beautiful, how large do Blasto's grow?