ReefCleaners.org

Dark Side of the Lagoon

Clown79

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 6:49 AM, lilmatty5dimes said:

Awesome build man. I just picked up a lagoon and loving the downgrade so far. Lol those are some sick blasto too. 

Thank you.

I love blasto's and there are so many out there that you can have quite the collection of blasto's with all different colours.

You'll love the lagoon, its an awesome tank.

• Like 1

Things have been going well in the lagoon.

Since adding the bangaii, all the other fish have been swimming around more often, they all have ventured to the "dark side" lol.

My clowns have decided to host 2 different corals, my duncan and my frogspawn, so they have 2 homes now and sometimes they host together and sometimes apart. I guess they need alone time too😄

The blasto's I took from my pico have already started sprouting baby heads which is very cool, the setosa is growing very well in this tank.

I had to rearrange things in the tank to account for growth and lighting. The monti cap was growing so much it was starting to affect the lighting and flow, I much prefer it off to the side and the colours that are coming out of it are really cool.

20191027_190430.jpg

20191025_193142.jpg

20191025_193340.jpg

20191020_185628.jpg

20191020_190917.jpg

20191020_190102.jpg

20191020_191915.jpg

20191021_163620.jpg

20191020_193113.jpg

20191021_200728.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
16 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Things have been going well in the lagoon.

Since adding the bangaii, all the other fish have been swimming around more often, they all have ventured to the "dark side" lol.

My clowns have decided to host 2 different corals, my duncan and my frogspawn, so they have 2 homes now and sometimes they host together and sometimes apart. I guess they need alone time too😄

The blasto's I took from my pico have already started sprouting baby heads which is very cool, the setosa is growing very well in this tank.

I had to rearrange things in the tank to account for growth and lighting. The monti cap was growing so much it was starting to affect the lighting and flow, I much prefer it off to the side and the colours that are coming out of it are really cool.

20191027_190430.jpg

20191025_193142.jpg

20191025_193340.jpg

20191020_185628.jpg

20191020_190917.jpg

20191020_190102.jpg

20191020_191915.jpg

20191021_163620.jpg

20191020_193113.jpg

20191021_200728.jpg

Looking good Clown!!  :happydance:

I was able to get a PolypLab Scope Flashlight which I am super excited to try out and share my experience with the flashlight. 

I have been interested in the Scope because I really enjoy viewing the corals at night, especially while feeding. It's fascinating to watch but I am unable to get good pictures of the events occurring at night and I am hoping that with the Scope, I will be able to get some good shots of the feeding process. 

There is a local coral show coming up in Nov that I am really looking forward to using the Scope for fluorescence. I run my tanks with heavy blues and when it comes to purchasing corals in stores or at shows, I am always questioning how the coral will look under heavy blue since not all vendors/stores run heavy blue. 

I'm really impressed with the Flashlight. This flashlight is tiny!  It will easily fit in my pocket which makes it easy to bring around to stores and shows.

The led is 420nm which is great for fluorescence and bonus, it comes with a batter.

I tried it out on my pico reef today and I'm looking forward to trying it tonight on my Nuvo 20 and Lagoon, unfortunately the lights were already on the 2 larger tanks when the package arrived today.

I'll post an updates with pics tonight and then after the show in Nov.

20191030_165801.jpg

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Thank you!

I love Blastos. I only have one in my tank but it's got about 12 heads now. My favorite coral so far. It started off as one head.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Aqua Splendor said:

That yellow Fungia get me everytime, look good overall!

its my favourite coral in my tank. I've watched it grow from teeny tiny to the size it is today.

• Like 1

Got to try out the Scope on the lagoon just after I fed Polyp Booster and Reef Roids. It's so cool being able to watch the feeding experience and get pictures of it too. I could never get any decent pics before without the Flashlight. I'm still practicing taking pics at night but I wanted to post the shots I got.

The spread of the Scope is really good, I was able to get a full tank shot easily. 

So far what I have been able to view and the things I found while using the flashlight was pretty amazing. I was really surprised to see the amount of pods my tank has, they were all over the glass. Unfortunately with my camera, I couldn't get a pic of them.

My blasto's now have a few baby heads growing which I couldn't really see under the daylight lights running but while the corals were feeding at night I was able to see the babies more.

I found a new Discosoma mushroom growing under the Monti Cap, the blue light caused the spots to fluoresce and thats how I found it. 

luckily I also found an aiptasia growing nearby it. The aiptasia is still small so I'll be able to get rid of it before it becomes an issue.

Will keep all posted on this goody I got.

The next reef goody I want to get is a good filter for taking photos. The yellow one I have is a large piece of acrylic and it's really annoying to hold to my phone. lol.

20191028_164912.jpg

20191028_164923.jpg

20191030_105754.jpg

20191030_105826.jpg

20191030_161758.jpg

20191030_161843.jpg

20191030_162053.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
NoOneLikesADryTang

The tank keeper and I picked up a Reef Hobbyist this weekend, and I had no idea you were featured in it. As I was thumbing through it, I kept thinking this tank seems so familiar - it wasn't until a little later I realized it was your tank. Congratulations. What a cool achievement to be in that magazine! 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

The tank keeper and I picked up a Reef Hobbyist this weekend, and I had no idea you were featured in it. As I was thumbing through it, I kept thinking this tank seems so familiar - it wasn't until a little later I realized it was your tank. Congratulations. What a cool achievement to be in that magazine! 

Thank you so much. 😊

It was a great honour to be featured. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Beautiful tank! I read that you are using RFGs. I have a IM30L with the IM Mightyjet midsize and was considering the RFGs. Currently I have the spin streams which are ok but they're the noisiest thing on the tank. The 30L is much narrower and a bit deeper than the 25 lagoon. Do you have experience with the spin streams and can you comment more on what the RFGs do for you, please? As you mentioned, they aren't cheap and I don want to waste the money!

BTW - I also have a Midas Blenny and he also sits in a rock all day with just his head showing. He will swim around a bit near feeding time. It's a shame, they're beautiful fish and I bought mine to add some movement and colour!

NoOneLikesADryTang
3 minutes ago, GTi said:

Beautiful tank! I read that you are using RFGs. I have a IM30L with the IM Mightyjet midsize and was considering the RFGs. Currently I have the spin streams which are ok but they're the noisiest thing on the tank. The 30L is much narrower and a bit deeper than the 25 lagoon. Do you have experience with the spin streams and can you comment more on what the RFGs do for you, please? As you mentioned, they aren't cheap and I don want to waste the money!

BTW - I also have a Midas Blenny and he also sits in a rock all day with just his head showing. He will swim around a bit near feeding time. It's a shame, they're beautiful fish and I bought mine to add some movement and colour!

I have the RFG on my IM 20 Peninsula (the stock wasn't cutting it, for flow). I actually put a Y adapter on this one, to try and get a little more ability to control the flow for this tank. 

I also put them on my IM SR80, and noticed a huge difference. I'd highly recommend them! With all that being said, I don't have any experience with the spin streams to compare them to. 

15 minutes ago, GTi said:

I did actually use a spin stream. I tried it through my various tanks.

Its noisy and clunky. What I didn't like about the flow it provided was that although it turns, it does a very small section and you can't direct it.

What I like about the rfg's is that the flow is constantly different, you can actually see it when observing the water surface. They are also directional and non obtrusive. 

I run 3 on my lagoon and 2 on my 20g. 

But depending on what you are attempting in your tank, you could add one and keep one original nozzle.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I have the RFG on my IM 20 Peninsula (the stock wasn't cutting it, for flow). I actually put a Y adapter on this one, to try and get a little more ability to control the flow for this tank. 

I also put them on my IM SR80, and noticed a huge difference. I'd highly recommend them! With all that being said, I don't have any experience with the spin streams to compare them to. 

1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

I did actually use a spin stream. I tried it through my various tanks.

Its noisy and clunky. What I didn't like about the flow it provided was that although it turns, it does a very small section and you can really direct it.

What I like about the rfg's is that the flow is constantly different, you can actually see it when observing the water surface. They are also directional and non obtrusive. 

I run 3 on my lagoon and 2 on my 20g. 

Thank you both for the helpful replies. I'm going to give them a go!

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 minute ago, GTi said:

Thank you both for the helpful replies. I'm going to give them a go!

The owner is awesome too - if there's every any issues he'll walk you through trouble shooting, and/or replace what's needed. I'm fortunate that he's local(Phoenix) to me. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

The owner is awesome too - if there's every any issues he'll walk you through trouble shooting, and/or replace what's needed. I'm fortunate that he's local(Phoenix) to me. 

Ya, awesome customer service!

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I think it's time for a new FTS :biggrin:

I know. I'm so bad at updating my journals!

I promise I will.

• Like 3
teenyreef
10 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I promise I will.

It's not like I have much room to talk :lol:

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...
Glauber Carvalho
On 5/2/2020 at 2:57 PM, Clown79 said:

I promise I will.

🤣 I want to see newsss!!!!! Beatifull tank, @Clown79! Congratulations!!!