Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AIO Frag Tank Filtration?

TheBig053

I'm going to set up a frag tank in an IM fusion 10. I do plan on putting a few small pieces of live rock in, but I don't want to overcrowd it with rock so I can fit a few good size racks in there.

Any good ideas on supplemental biofiltration that is space conscious? Tank will be bare bottom also.

thanks!

Thrassian Atoll

Is it going to be fishless?  I think if I started a frag tank I would have zero rock.  I wouldn't have any fish.  I would just use a media rack with some chemipure or carbon and some GFO and just feed coral food now and then to have some nutrients in the tank.   If you can maybe do a refugium in one of the compartments.  Refugium with just carbon?  Your not going to have much of a bioload with just corals.  

Fishless to start. Wasn't sure if I would need to add one down the line for nutrients, or a small CUC eventually. I have a few pieces of rock left over from my primary set up. Its dead/dry rock now but I could cycle it in the new tank and seed it with some small pieces from my primary tank. I just don't know how much is necessary for coral only and/or a very small bioload. It might not be necessary at all, hah!

Thrassian Atoll

I would definitely get a small cleanup crew.  Thinking about it, maybe like a six line wrasse to eat pests if you ever have any and to add a bioload.  Your tank is probably too small for a 6 line though.  I still wouldn't want any rocks though.  I am not sure how well the bacteria will establish without live rock?

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Put some liverock rubble in a media bag and place it in the back chamber 

Thanks. I had considered that but wasn't sure if it would be enough, but its a start. If I determine I need more I guess I could always stash a block of MarinePure somewhere. 

Well the seller of the IM10 totally ghosted me yesterday.  I messaged them through our local reef club site first thing in the morning to finalize pick up details and get the address, and never received a response. According to the messaging feature on the site, they read my message about an hour and half after I sent it, but never responded. Strange.  

Oh well, on to plan B! Converting a spare 20L I have in the basement to an AIO.  I'll document this in my tank thread as I am not sure a frag tank build really deserves its own aquarium journal.