Cultivated Reef

Jackal's Biocube 16 LED - 3 Years In and Counting!

Jackal227

Well, during my maintenance this week I found a small aiptasia near the back of the tank.  I promptly covered it with aiptasia-x and haven't seen any more yet.  Hopefully it is the only one because I haven't seen any for months so I'm assuming it came in on one of the new frags. 

Also noticed that my RFA has moved down to the sand again.  It's pretty hidden in the spot that it is in now.  We'll see if it stays there. 

On a good note, there are a couple of new corals that I really am enjoying looking at every time I walk by the tank.  The Leptastrea is looking very hairy and I noticed the colored tips on the tentacles:

y4m6pDZ4H0-9IZGPTqcakLeVDeQc496OR0Ap-8Ph

The Cespitularia is looking amazing.  It really gives some nice movement being below the powerhead.   It's quite large and fills in the left side of the tank.  The soft purple color is a nice contrast to everything else in the tank: 

y4m1i6K890EL8LdkgfHG7eI5mHz8nUi5OUTnQAeM

• Like 2

Hi All,

This was a great thread to read for information. I set up a 16 Bio Cube on fathers day was having issues finding specific info for it so it was great to find this. 

I found this while looking for advice on getting a goby out of chamber 1. I had lost him over a month ago and couldn't find him, then yesterday when pulling the pump from chamber 3 to clean I spotted his eyes hanging out behind the pump. Well after trying to net him he happened to jump out into the false floor of chamber 1. Then when trying to get him from there he swam through the little opening on the back right corner of the false floor and was lost...or so i thought. After reading your not on removing the false floor i will be doing that tonight and hopefully saving my investment which i thought was lost :). He is still alive somehow and has energy to be jumping around so hopefully i will be able to get him back into the display and he can be happy and healthy. This will also help so i can move my Cobalt neotherm heater to chamber 1.

A few questions for you all as it seems there is a variety of people with this tank and different set ups.

1) As you can see below i am having a GHA bloom and some bubble algae. Sounds like the urchin did a good job taking care of that? Any other recommendations for hair algae or bubble algae?

2) I just purchased a Koralia Nano 425 powerhead yesterday (along with aptasia x for all my fun aptasia) since i do not have one. Hoping that may help somewhat. Any advice on best placement/direction of flow from experience?

3) How do you guys, if you do, siphon out the detris that ends up in the back chambers? Turkey baster? Just small tubing and start the siphon?

4) I have one a coralife biocube protein skimmer but am not sure if the bubbles are making it to the proper heights in the chamber. It seems to be maxed out at just above the bottom of the chamber funnel part. Anyone have issues with the hosing kinking somewhat at the bottom after putting it into the chamber causing a slight reduction in flow? Considering a zip tie around the hose and chamber with a larger loop at the bottom to prevent the kink. Thoughts?

5) I am running the following for filtration:

Chamber 1: protein skimmer

Chamber 2: 

- two bags of chemipure blue

- one bag of fluval activated carbon

- phospure pad on top of carbon pouch

Chamber 3: just return pump and heater currently which will move to 1 tonight

6) as you can see below i am getting some coraline on the glass so i bought a blade type scraper to try to remove that. Any advice/experience on that or just give her a good scrapping?

7) i do 5 gallon water changes every other week although i try to do it weekly but usually closer to two weeks.

My main goal is to kill off the aptasia and GHA.

Any recommendations/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

not the best pics since it was blue light midnight when i went through this last night 🙂

9 minutes ago, SkolVikes said:

Hi All,

This was a great thread to read for information. I set up a 16 Bio Cube on fathers day was having issues finding specific info for it so it was great to find this. 

I found this while looking for advice on getting a goby out of chamber 1. I had lost him over a month ago and couldn't find him, then yesterday when pulling the pump from chamber 3 to clean I spotted his eyes hanging out behind the pump. Well after trying to net him he happened to jump out into the false floor of chamber 1. Then when trying to get him from there he swam through the little opening on the back right corner of the false floor and was lost...or so i thought. After reading your not on removing the false floor i will be doing that tonight and hopefully saving my investment which i thought was lost :). He is still alive somehow and has energy to be jumping around so hopefully i will be able to get him back into the display and he can be happy and healthy. This will also help so i can move my Cobalt neotherm heater to chamber 1.

A few questions for you all as it seems there is a variety of people with this tank and different set ups.

1) As you can see below i am having a GHA bloom and some bubble algae. Sounds like the urchin did a good job taking care of that? Any other recommendations for hair algae or bubble algae?

2) I just purchased a Koralia Nano 425 powerhead yesterday (along with aptasia x for all my fun aptasia) since i do not have one. Hoping that may help somewhat. Any advice on best placement/direction of flow from experience?

3) How do you guys, if you do, siphon out the detris that ends up in the back chambers? Turkey baster? Just small tubing and start the siphon?

4) I have one a coralife biocube protein skimmer but am not sure if the bubbles are making it to the proper heights in the chamber. It seems to be maxed out at just above the bottom of the chamber funnel part. Anyone have issues with the hosing kinking somewhat at the bottom after putting it into the chamber causing a slight reduction in flow? Considering a zip tie around the hose and chamber with a larger loop at the bottom to prevent the kink. Thoughts?

Chamber 2: 

6) as you can see below i am getting some coraline on the glass so i bought a blade type scraper to try to remove that. Any advice/experience on that or just give her a good scrapping?

7) i do 5 gallon water changes every other week although i try to do it weekly but usually closer to two weeks.

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

not the best pics since it was blue light midnight when i went through this last night 🙂

Hi! Working right now so I will take more time tonight, but do you have parameters you can post for us? Also, skol! 🍻

1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Hi! Working right now so I will take more time tonight, but do you have parameters you can post for us? Also, skol! 🍻

I will take new ones tonight and post. Hopefully i will have a successful recovery story as well 🙂

1 hour ago, SkolVikes said:

Hi All,

Chamber 2: 

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

Others have removed the false bottom by sticking something into the holes and lifting straight up.  It seems like a better solution than how I removed mine. 

I had a hard time working in the chamber because they are small.  I've actually had to remove my male clown from the return chamber twice since taking him out of the first chamber.  In the return chamber it was big enough that I could get a hand in and catch it with my hand.  A small net may work well too if you can find one small enough.

1.  I don't see the Urchin actively going after the GHA in my tank but I believe that it has kept it from spreading further.  I think it spends more time on the other film algae than the GHA.  Manual removal has helped the most for me.  Also limiting nutrients will prevent excessive growth.  How are you feeding?   I've seen the Astrea snails eat it sometimes.  Also emerald crabs will eat bubble algae and i believe GHA too.

2.  Aiptasia-x works well.  They can hide in the smallest places so it may take multiple runs to get them all. The powerhead placement depends on the rock work.  I have mine in the top left next to the return line.  They both blow towards the glass and rotate around the front of the tank and back towards the overflow. I do this so that higher flow corals can be kept up top and lower flow near the base of the rocks.

3.  I've really only cleaned my back chambers once or twice.  When I did my siphon was small enough to fit back there.  The filter floss does a good job of keeping detritus out.

4.  I don't have the protein skimmer but I believe that @banasophia uses it.

5.  Chemipure blue is carbon mixed with purigen.  It's not necessary to run the extra bag of carbon if you're using Chemipure. 

6.  With the curved glass on the biocube scraping from side to side (left to right)  works best. 

42 minutes ago, Jackal227 said:

Others have removed the false bottom by sticking something into the holes and lifting straight up.  It seems like a better solution than how I removed mine. 

I had a hard time working in the chamber because they are small.  I've actually had to remove my male clown from the return chamber twice since taking him out of the first chamber.  In the return chamber it was big enough that I could get a hand in and catch it with my hand.  A small net may work well too if you can find one small enough.

1.  I don't see the Urchin actively going after the GHA in my tank but I believe that it has kept it from spreading further.  I think it spends more time on the other film algae than the GHA.  Manual removal has helped the most for me.  Also limiting nutrients will prevent excessive growth.  How are you feeding?   I've seen the Astrea snails eat it sometimes.  Also emerald crabs will eat bubble algae and i believe GHA too.

2.  Aiptasia-x works well.  They can hide in the smallest places so it may take multiple runs to get them all. The powerhead placement depends on the rock work.  I have mine in the top left next to the return line.  They both blow towards the glass and rotate around the front of the tank and back towards the overflow. I do this so that higher flow corals can be kept up top and lower flow near the base of the rocks.

3.  I've really only cleaned my back chambers once or twice.  When I did my siphon was small enough to fit back there.  The filter floss does a good job of keeping detritus out.

4.  I don't have the protein skimmer but I believe that @banasophia uses it.

5.  Chemipure blue is carbon mixed with purigen.  It's not necessary to run the extra bag of carbon if you're using Chemipure. 

6.  With the curved glass on the biocube scraping from side to side (left to right)  works best. 

Thanks for the update on the removal of the false bottom in the chamber. I will give that a  try first and see what happens.

I have frozen shrimp mix and feed once a day. There may be some what of a heavy load as my YWG is pretty timid eater and need to plop a little extra than normal to ensure some gets down to him in his under rock bottom hang out. I have a brine shrimp flake that i will sometimes feed instead and it sinks a little better than the shrimp.

Any recommendation on other material to use other than the carbon bag since i am using chemiblue? I dont have a refugium set up and not sure if i am going to go that route but your build for it was very interesting.

Yea i know the aptasia will take multiple applications to clear most of them...there is a good amount. They came with the live rock and i had tried to buy at my local LFS but both places did not have it so i finally decided to buy some last night after reading this post and getting geared up to knock some of this stuff off :).

I have had a nano cube in the past but it was an established tank 3+ years when i got it so didnt have much of the early issues/tweaking to do. Upgraded to 70 gallon mixed reef about 5 years ago but moved into the inlaws for a year a couple years ago and took the tank down. Now i have all this newer expensive equipment i cant use :).

2 hours ago, SkolVikes said:

Any recommendation on other material to use other than the carbon bag since i am using chemiblue? I dont have a refugium set up and not sure if i am going to go that route but your build for it was very interesting.

If you are running Chemipure and filter floss then you really don't need add anything else media wise.

I switched from Chemipure blue to having separate bags of carbon and purigen to save money.  The purigen hasn't needed changed in 6 months and I change my carbon every 3 weeks since it's cheap by itself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Jackal. I am further convinced only Filter Floss, Flow, and Water changes are all that is needed for a healthy nano tank, but I am a minimalist!

I cut this stuff and put on top of the splash guard on the middle chamber. Change it twice a week. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUFSM3Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I feed very lightly as well in my system.

• Like 2

Well I was able  to successfully remove the Goby from the first chamber and is now in the main tank. He is pretty skinny so hopefully he will make it...surprised he made it as is.

did some manual removal of hair algae.

going to test water shortly 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, SkolVikes said:

Well I was able  to successfully remove the Goby from the first chamber and is now in the main tank. He is pretty skinny so hopefully he will make it...surprised he made it as is.

did some manual removal of hair algae.

going to test water shortly 

Glad you were able to rescue your goby. I had to help my daughter do a water change on her freshwater tank last night, and attempt a search and rescue mission looking for her harlequin rasbora that went missing over the weekend... no luck finding it. 😞 

I use filter floss, Chemipure Elite, Purigen and a bag of matrix media in both my tanks. I tried to switch to Chemipure Blue and no Purigen, but my tanks didn’t seem to do as well so I switched back. 

I do use the Coralife skimmer because I feed my Biocube heavily and I use Nopox daily for carbon dosing to control nitrates (which requires the use of a skimmer). I also occasionally add Phosphate RX to precipitate out excess phosphates. You probably won’t need those things if you’re not stocking with fish/corals that need heavy feeding. I have the skimmer in the first chamber, hooked over the divider between the first and second chambers. I make sure I have a little slack in the airline tubing going into the tank so it creates a little loop underneath, rather than kinking. 

52 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Glad you were able to rescue your goby. I had to help my daughter do a water change on her freshwater tank last night, and attempt a search and rescue mission looking for her harlequin rasbora that went missing over the weekend... no luck finding it. 😞 

I use filter floss, Chemipure Elite, Purigen and a bag of matrix media in both my tanks. I tried to switch to Chemipure Blue and no Purigen, but my tanks didn’t seem to do as well so I switched back. 

I do use the Coralife skimmer because I feed my Biocube heavily and I use Nopox daily for carbon dosing to control nitrates (which requires the use of a skimmer). I also occasionally add Phosphate RX to precipitate out excess phosphates. You probably won’t need those things if you’re not stocking with fish/corals that need heavy feeding. I have the skimmer in the first chamber, hooked over the divider between the first and second chambers. I make sure I have a little slack in the airline tubing going into the tank so it creates a little loop underneath, rather than kinking. 

Thanks...bummer about the rasbora. Its always amazing when creatures just up and disappear.

Sounds like most use a filter floss so i think i will make that purchase as well.

Maybe i will switch off of blue and back to elite and try using some purigen and matrix media when my current batch is exhausted. I have not heard of either of those until this thread so will have to look into it.

The phoshpate pads worked great when i had slime algae and it was gone within days. 

I used a zip tie to secure the tubing to the body of the skimmer just enough to hold it with the the loop at the bottom. Works much better now. I think taking out the false floor helped as well to provide more space for the tubing at the bottom of the skimmer. It is nicely spitting out skimate now so hoping that may be part of the issue with the algae...maybe a lack of solid filtration between not having floss and skimmer not properly working.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SkolVikes said:

Thanks...bummer about the rasbora. Its always amazing when creatures just up and disappear.

Sounds like most use a filter floss so i think i will make that purchase as well.

Maybe i will switch off of blue and back to elite and try using some purigen and matrix media when my current batch is exhausted. I have not heard of either of those until this thread so will have to look into it.

The phoshpate pads worked great when i had slime algae and it was gone within days. 

I used a zip tie to secure the tubing to the body of the skimmer just enough to hold it with the the loop at the bottom. Works much better now. I think taking out the false floor helped as well to provide more space for the tubing at the bottom of the skimmer. It is nicely spitting out skimate now so hoping that may be part of the issue with the algae...maybe a lack of solid filtration between not having floss and skimmer not properly working.

Keep up posted on your tank, and you should start a build thread so we can follow along. 🙂 Also, are you a Dane? 

1 hour ago, banasophia said:

17 hours ago, Jackal227 said:

If you are running Chemipure and filter floss then you really don't need add anything else media wise.

I switched from Chemipure blue to having separate bags of carbon and purigen to save money.  The purigen hasn't needed changed in 6 months and I change my carbon every 3 weeks since it's cheap by itself. 

Do you guys use the 100mL pouch of purigen or by loose with a bag? Not sure what the dimension/size of the pouch is for the back chambers so was curious.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Seachem_Laboratories_Purigen_100mL_Bag_Carbon_Replacements_Resin_Chemical_Filter_Media-Seachem-SC3231-FIFMCHRM-SC3231-vi.html

Is this the matrix media you are talking about?

https://www.marinedepot.com/Seachem_Laboratories_Matrix_1_Liter_Bio_Ceramic_Resin_Filter_Media-Seachem-SC3171-FIFMBOCR-SC3171-vi.html

Thanks again for all the answers to my many questions :). I always feel like i have a good handle on things then one day you fall down rabbit hole and read a bunch of stuff and feel like i swimming up stream again :).

28 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Keep up posted on your tank, and you should start a build thread so we can follow along. 🙂 Also, are you a Dane? 

I think i might do that. I have pics from when i started setting up and periodically since and is about to turn 6 months old.

looking forward to trying out some of this new stuff thanks to the advice and see where its at in another 6 months.

By dane do you mean Danish?

5 minutes ago, SkolVikes said:

Do you guys use the 100mL pouch of purigen or by loose with a bag? Not sure what the dimension/size of the pouch is for the back chambers so was curious.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Seachem_Laboratories_Purigen_100mL_Bag_Carbon_Replacements_Resin_Chemical_Filter_Media-Seachem-SC3231-FIFMCHRM-SC3231-vi.html

https://www.marinedepot.com/Seachem_Laboratories_Matrix_1_Liter_Bio_Ceramic_Resin_Filter_Media-Seachem-SC3171-FIFMBOCR-SC3171-vi.html

Thanks again for all the answers to my many questions :). I always feel like i have a good handle on things then one day you fall down rabbit hole and read a bunch of stuff and feel like i swimming up stream again :).

I think this was the one I used, and I had to purchase a little media bag for it. 

Matrix, 500 mL /17 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PBD4J4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_k8teCb6ZVB06K

I use the prepackaged Purigen for treating up to 100 gallons, but I’m not sure that’s really needed or advisable.

Seachem Purigen 100ml https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002A5VK2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_D.teCbSXSRKAZ

7 minutes ago, SkolVikes said:

Makes sense but no just a Vikings football fan from Minnesota. 🙂

Thanks for the help. 

Gotcha... my dad moved here from Denmark, and I still have lots of family there. 🇩🇰🇺🇸  That’s a great name!!! 

6 hours ago, SkolVikes said:

Those are the same ones that I'm using.  I split the matrix into two media bags. 

I finally got a picture of this elusive guy: 

y4mc16oSMOwFCSUIk_K4-kEk1Z4bK_ouwfe8oZrb

He rarely comes out during the day but I found him hanging upside down on the rock. 

As for the corals I always like to see how much they grow over time. 

The Cyphastrea is starting to encrust the rock now.  I think that it'll look really nice after it covers the rock. 

2 months ago: 

y4mbIo8B7nUgJFbQdv6AOiKS2YT1bmwbQDC1Ara0

Today:

y4melmkQV7ypek-BtmOpjwn__BMhqCM6U8MQN273

I'm also seeing some growth out of the purple Monti.  The growth pattern is interesting, it's kind of a cross between branching and entrusting. 

2 months ago: 

y4m3aC70dRStyd9Y0kNf17jL_p7iGhAzJRcOd4jA

Today:

y4mR31SgGbt4x6UlPDCNt9VmBrg8HVVyJUU6zcWj

Blue FTS:

y4mBYXs7wAL9Ddqly9fRiStRfXKbEI403pXcBrD6

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Tank’s looking really good! I love that Monti, may be one of my favorite corals. And your GSP has gotten nice and green. 

Yes the GSP really stands out under the blues.  I enjoy watching it sway in the flow. 

• Like 1

Skol - I had GHA in my BC16. Bought Pencil Urchin. That beast blowed through every rock, nook, and cranny and eliminated all traces of GHA in less than a week.

Then he proceeded to chew on cord covers, plow over coral, and generally raise hell in my tank until I took him back to LFS.

Proceed with caution.