Top Shelf Aquatics

Jackal's Biocube 16 LED - 3 Years In and Counting!

Jackal227

2 hours ago, Poison Dart Frog said:

Some of these bio cubes are the most beautiful of any on this site. Definitely getting one someday.

They are great tanks.  As with any tank there are things that could be improved, but I would definitely recommend them.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving.

So the Black Friday deals have finally pushed me over the edge.  I've been looking for a while and finally pulled the trigger on a new tank along with a lot of stuff to run it.  There's going to be some exciting changes coming within the next few weeks. omgomgomg

• Like 5

I've moved the Duncan to the sandbed to save it from the growing hammer corals.  A couple heads were damaged but overall is still in good shape.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Everything else seems to still be doing well:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Great pictures! Look at all the tentacles on those LPS. Got some hungry corals up in there and no mistake. I love the shot of the mandarinfish as well.

I'm also very excited about your tank upgrade! Are you going to be starting a new system from scratch, or are you planning to transfer the contents of the biocube?

1 hour ago, billygoat said:

Great pictures! Look at all the tentacles on those LPS. Got some hungry corals up in there and no mistake. I love the shot of the mandarinfish as well.

I'm also very excited about your tank upgrade! Are you going to be starting a new system from scratch, or are you planning to transfer the contents of the biocube?

Thank you.  

I haven't received the tank yet so the plans are still ongoing.  But I'm planning on using new rock and sand with the tank.  I'll use the matrix media from this tank to cycle it.  Eventually most of the livestock from this tank will get transferred over and the tank will be used for observation of new arrivals before going into the larger tank.

• Like 3
On 12/2/2019 at 11:43 AM, Jackal227 said:

Thank you.  

I haven't received the tank yet so the plans are still ongoing.  But I'm planning on using new rock and sand with the tank.  I'll use the matrix media from this tank to cycle it.  Eventually most of the livestock from this tank will get transferred over and the tank will be used for observation of new arrivals before going into the larger tank.

Looking forward to new tank deets. :smilie:It's always exciting!

• Like 2
On 12/4/2019 at 6:34 AM, Lula_Mae said:

Looking forward to new tank deets. :smilie:It's always exciting!

I have a delivery date scheduled now so as long as it arrives in one piece I'll be starting a new thread for it soon.  It's needed because the sandbed is starting to get crowded:

spacer.png

December FTS:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
8 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

An exciting new beginning @Jackal227! Will you be starting fresh or transferring the contents of the 16 gallon tank into the new system? Is the Biocube still up and running in the meantime?

Yes, it's very exciting!

The biocube is still running and hasn't changed other than I just moved it from the living room into a bedroom to make room for the new tank.

The new tank will have all new sand and rock.  Once it's running I'll start transferring out the fish and most of the corals most likely.  I still haven't completely decided but I know that I want to use the biocube as an observation tank for new fish before adding them to the larger tank.  

• Like 3

Did a water change today and I took a quick top down shot of the Montipora Cap:

spacer.png

It's pretty amazing how big it has gotten.  It's as big as my hand now and has taken on a beautiful shape.

• Like 4
  • Wow 2

Since moving this tank to the bedroom here's the view that I walk into now:

spacer.png

This was always the hidden side before.  Looking at it now I've noticed that the Montipora Stellata has started growing out under the base now:

spacer.png

Also it hasn't grown much but it's hard not to notice how bright the little red Acan has gotten:

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking great Jackal! - Its amazing how much growth these LED Biocubes conjure up. My Biocube should hit 2 years in Feb and there is so much darn growth I am also looking at getting another tank.

There is not much of a reefing community where I live, so no clue what I am going to do with the excess corals...

Colors are really popping in your tank. What is your water change schedule like? - I am changing mine once a month.

Best of luck!

2 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

Colors are really popping in your tank. What is your water change schedule like? - I am changing mine once a month.

Best of luck!

Thank you.  I've still been changing around 2.5 gallons every 7-10 days.  I've done it since the beginning and it seems to work.  It also helps me keep my alk and salinity stable by correcting whatever my doser is off by.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So we're long overdue for an update. 

With the new tank up and running I've completed the conversion of the Biocube into my observation/quarantine tank. 

The first issue was trying to catch a fish with the original rockwork was impossible.  So, even though I liked  it there had to be changes.  I had plenty of left over Life Rock from the lagoon tank that I decided to use. 

After breaking up the larger pieces of rock I used super glue to create a cave like structure.  I wanted some places for new fish to hide and still look pleasing to the eye.  I also needed to keep the scape small enough that it could be removed.  I can fit it right into a 5 gallon bucket which will make catching the fish much easier.  I also scraped a few leftover encrusted corals off of the old rock that didn't make it into the lagoon and reattached them to the new cave:

spacer.png

spacer.png

After a couple of weeks to make sure that there wasn't a cycle I added two new fish for observation. 

A male flasher wrasse:

spacer.png

A female leopard wrasse:

spacer.png

They have both settled in and are now both eating well. 

The tank is going to remain low maintenance for a while.   I haven't decided the long term future yet but watching the wrasses swim around is exciting for now.

• Like 4

I love that the huge Cespitularia lives on in here! With hardly any neighbors left I'm sure it will own the tank in no time. 😁 Really beautiful fish too! That female leopard wrasse is really something!

9 hours ago, billygoat said:

I love that the huge Cespitularia lives on in here! With hardly any neighbors left I'm sure it will own the tank in no time. 😁 Really beautiful fish too! That female leopard wrasse is really something!

Ya, the Cespitularia has gotten huge since it hasn't been trimmed recently.   The Leopard Wrasse really enjoys swimming in and out of it.  It's fun to watch. 

Both of the wrasses are active swimmers so I think they'll be great to watch in the bigger tank. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

The current inhabitants in quarantine: 

Yellow Coris Wrasse & Longnose Hawkfish:

spacer.png

These two have been doing well.  They Hawkfish came in pretty skinny but they are both starting to put on some size now.  The Coris Wrasse is extremely brightly colored,  he almost glows.

Lawnmower Blenny:

spacer.png

This guy came in pretty skinny and was very shy at first.  He's starting to open up now though.  He's also recently started eating nori as well so I suspect that he'll put on some size too.  There is definitely a noticeable difference in algae in the tank with him in there so he's doing his job. 

FTS:

spacer.png

I'm not currently doing anything to this tank other than a water change every other week.  I use the 'dirty water from the lagoon tank to do changes on this tank.  So there's no extra water or salt needed.   Very easy maintenance-wise.

The Zoas are starting to spread a bit now.  You can also see how large the Cespitularia gets when it hasn't been trimmed for a couple months.  The Coraline algae is also starting to cover the back wall again since the Urchin isn't in there anymore. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 4 months later...

I just ordered my 16 gal biocube last week.  I'm so excited!  I had saltwater tanks several years back, but I have forgotten so much.  I was going through a divorce and had to move quickly.  I broke my tanks down and took all the livestock to a local reef shop.  Stored my equipment in the basement.  We moved again 6 months later and all of my equipment was left in the basement.😩 so now I'm starting from scratch. Thank you all for this thread.  I've learned so much just treading the 1st page

11 hours ago, Tazoellner said:

I just ordered my 16 gal biocube last week.  I'm so excited!  I had saltwater tanks several years back, but I have forgotten so much.  I was going through a divorce and had to move quickly.  I broke my tanks down and took all the livestock to a local reef shop.  Stored my equipment in the basement.  We moved again 6 months later and all of my equipment was left in the basement.😩 so now I'm starting from scratch. Thank you all for this thread.  I've learned so much just treading the 1st page

It's a great tank.  You'll find quite a few good biocube threads on this forum.  If you have any questions feel free to ask. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Hope you are well. How is the tank doing? 

I'm doing well.  Thank you. 

The tank is still up and running.  Currently it's just housing a pair of Clowns and the Green Mandarin.  I'm just waiting until the Anemone in the lagoon tank grows a bit and then they'll get transferred over.  The lagoon is starting to fill in now so I'll probably turn my attention back to the Biocube after the new year while it grows in. 

The Aiptasia have really taken over the tank lately.  Once they are cleared out and the fish are transferred over then I've got some ideas on what I'd like to do with the Biocube going forward. 

I'll start updating this thread again once I begin. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Well since the Clownfish have been transferred out it's time to start cleaning up this tank. 

The Aiptasia have really gotten out of control in this tank: 

spacer.png

I've added an army of Berghia Nudibranches to clear them out.  They're making slow and steady progress: 

spacer.png

I think in a couple weeks it'll be looking much better. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Jackal227 said:

Well since the Clownfish have been transferred out it's time to start cleaning up this tank. 

The Aiptasia have really gotten out of control in this tank: 

spacer.png

I've added an army of Berghia Nudibranches to clear them out.  They're making slow and steady progress: 

spacer.png

I think in a couple weeks it'll be looking much better. 

Your pics make the aiptasia look pretty! I’m having an outbreak of them in my tank right now too.