Top Shelf Aquatics

The Fools Reef ... The final 2.5 gallon long pico

TheRope

2 hours ago, TheRope said:

After much thought and annoyance with evaporation on my 2 and 5 gallon tanks i decidednto tear them down and place all my corals into a deep sandbed vase, which i believe will be the final build. 

I added the corals positioned the rocks how i wanted and now i refuse to stick my hand in. I will only touch the tank for glass cleaning, waterchanges and fragging when stuff gets out of hand.

Here is what it looks like (a bit more rock than id like but once it covers itself in coral my opinion will probably change) 

Also I updated the first post to show you guys what equipment im using.

20190102_180346-02.jpeg

Your jar looks amazing!  I love it!

12 minutes ago, 12scanlon said:

ok. i have my light around 22 because the corals coming from my biocube can’t really handle that much light immediately. i’ll probably acclimate them slowly to get to around 17 inches. I have been doing the same thing with reef roids before water changes. I also do a few drops of fuel to give my mussel something to feed on during the week. thanks!

Sounds like youre doing everything right man! Keep up the awesome work! Do you have an instagram by chance?

1 minute ago, vlangel said:

Your jar looks amazing!  I love it!

Thanks! I added more stuff last night and everything looks good today ill be taking a video when i get home! I want more worms 😍😍😍🐛

• Like 3
1 minute ago, TheRope said:

Thanks! I added more stuff last night and everything looks good today ill be taking a video when i get home! I want more worms 😍😍😍🐛

I can't wait to see the video, worms and all!

• Thanks 1

O wow, you have quite a few feather duster worms already.  I had not seen all of them before.  I love feather dusters!

I thougnt you wanted spagetti and bristle worms, now I understand why you want more worms! Ha ha!

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

The new reef bowl looks stunning @TheRope, that was a great video tour! I can sympathize with how difficult it can be to place everything just right in such a small space, good job! I love seeing another pico container coming online 😊.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TheRope said:

Sounds like youre doing everything right man! Keep up the awesome work! Do you have an instagram by chance?

Thanks! I also do not have an instagram. i’m acclimating some LPS from my Biocube tonight and will post a picture on my pico thread when i’m done. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 12scanlon said:

Thanks! I also do not have an instagram. i’m acclimating some LPS from my Biocube tonight and will post a picture on my pico thread when i’m done. 

Ill be sure to check it out!!!

2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

The new reef bowl looks stunning @TheRope, that was a great video tour! I can sympathize with how difficult it can be to place everything just right in such a small space, good job! I love seeing another pico container coming online 😊.

Thanks so much! Im glad to be back in a vase , i gained experience with my two other tanks but shut them down and brought in all the corals to this one vase and i couldnt be happier. 😊😊 and yeah it was kind of nerve wrecking especially since i dont glue my scapes together hahaha 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, TheRope said:

After much thought and annoyance with evaporation on my 2 and 5 gallon tanks i decidednto tear them down and place all my corals into a deep sandbed vase, which i believe will be the final build. 

I added the corals positioned the rocks how i wanted and now i refuse to stick my hand in. I will only touch the tank for glass cleaning, waterchanges and fragging when stuff gets out of hand.

Here is what it looks like (a bit more rock than id like but once it covers itself in coral my opinion will probably change) 

Also I updated the first post to show you guys what equipment im using.

20190102_180346-02.jpeg

Oh, wow, where did you get such a fantastic bowl?  It looks great!

14 hours ago, TheRope said:

Feather dusters are probably my favorite inverts, I love them!  If you ever order from LiveAquaria, be sure to check out the yellow and the pink & white dwarf feather dusters, they are beautiful.  I have pics of old ones I had on one of my pico threads (not sure which thread now lol).  Sadly I just lost my yellow and purple one I've had for two years next month or so and I'm super bummed about it.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I love the new jar! 

Thank you!!! 

3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oh, wow, where did you get such a fantastic bowl?  It looks great!

Feather dusters are probably my favorite inverts, I love them!  If you ever order from LiveAquaria, be sure to check out the yellow and the pink & white dwarf feather dusters, they are beautiful.  I have pics of old ones I had on one of my pico threads (not sure which thread now lol).  Sadly I just lost my yellow and purple one I've had for two years next month or so and I'm super bummed about it.

Noooo rip little buddy 😭😭😭

Im not sure i can order from live aquaria seeing im in canada 😕

But yeah theyre one of my favs as well! And thank you, i got it from a freshwater lfs!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I saw you are using the Abi bulb and an IKEA desk lamp. Is the lamp just to hold the bulb or are you using some white light as well? 

Yup im using the 12 w version and the lamp is to just house the bulb. the bulb has some whites in it so i didnt need extra!

Just now, TheRope said:

Yup im using the 12 w version and the lamp is to just house the bulb. the bulb has some whites in it so i didnt need extra!

Thanks. I was using that same bulb with my bowl. It was really blue and hard to take pictures with but your pics look fantastic.

Do you experience a lot of shading with it. That was really my only other complaint with it.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Thanks. I was using that same bulb with my bowl. It was really blue and hard to take pictures with but your pics look fantastic.

Do you experience a lot of shading with it. That was really my only other complaint with it.  

I guess it depends mostly on the scape but there is some decent shading thats for sure. And for picks i use an orange gel filter and snapseed to make things look as close to i see them in person as possible

• Like 1

After finding a wonderful home for my cleaner shrimp i finally decided i was gonna go out and look for a more well suited "tank mascot" for the 3 gal. And While checkin out a new lfs, i came across a tankfull of pom pom crabs. So i did what any reasonable person would do! 

(But in all seriousness, i think my setup is fantastic for this guy, everything in my tank understands that there is no "threat" (no fish or invert eating invert) therefor i get the opportunity to see amphipods out in the open all day! 

So i figured in such a small space with no threats well get to enjoy this miniscule oddity to its fullest and hell enjoy the broadcast feedings i do so often for my worms 🙂

• Like 5
27 minutes ago, Newstead said:

Great addition! Hope yo see video of him shaking his poms.

I was about to get a good macro video, of him last night but the 2 seconds that i grabbed the lense he was scootin away! 

On 1/5/2019 at 8:48 AM, TheRope said:

Thank you!!! 

Noooo rip little buddy 😭😭😭

Im not sure i can order from live aquaria seeing im in canada 😕

But yeah theyre one of my favs as well! And thank you, i got it from a freshwater lfs!

Oh, you're right, I don't think you can, sadly.  Well I hope you can find lots of gorgeous ones at your LFS!  I'm a little jelly of the bowl lol, I've been looking for a really nice one in the 2-3 gallon range for a long time.  One thing I disliked about my contest jar was that the glass didn't have great clarity but your bowl looks very nice and clear.

The pom pom is adorable, great choice for the tank!  I think I've lost my last one, time to get another!  I would also suggest a small shrimp like a Pederson's anemone shrimp.  I loved the one I had in my 5.5, he was so cute!  Hubby called him Superman shrimp because he'd glide across the tank with his front "arms" outstretched. :happy:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oh, you're right, I don't think you can, sadly.  Well I hope you can find lots of gorgeous ones at your LFS!  I'm a little jelly of the bowl lol, I've been looking for a really nice one in the 2-3 gallon range for a long time.  One thing I disliked about my contest jar was that the glass didn't have great clarity but your bowl looks very nice and clear.

The pom pom is adorable, great choice for the tank!  I think I've lost my last one, time to get another!  I would also suggest a small shrimp like a Pederson's anemone shrimp.  I loved the one I had in my 5.5, he was so cute!  Hubby called him Superman shrimp because he'd glide across the tank with his front "arms" outstretched. :happy:

Yeah I'm very happy with hie clear it is!

I found none at my lfs' haha! 

I'm suuuper happy with the little crab, hes significantly less disruptive than the giant cleaner shrimp! Much more subtle!

• Like 1