inTank Media Baskets

The Fools Reef ... The final 2.5 gallon long pico

TheRope

Tanks looking amazing! Not a closed polyp in sight ^^ 

Also the little jelly hydroid has stuck yo the glass, lets see what he gives , video here: 

Also full tank video here: 

IMG_20180708_140854_268.jpg

20180708_132335-02.jpeg

20180708_133401-02.jpeg

• Like 4

Got some nice pics of corals changing. Rhodactis is growing little bubbles on its scar (bounce??), spongodes growing green polyps and disco mushrooms are growing ♡♡♡ 

20180709_200833-03.jpeg

20180709_201009-01.jpeg

20180709_200759(0)-01.jpeg

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Thanks looking pretty sweet! 

Thanks! Im still workin on it, recently began the discosoma mushroom invasion so hopefully itll look very full soon 

I'm sorry if I missed it already, but what is that ramp thing where the water comes out of the HOB filter?  Is it a DIY thing? 

14 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I'm sorry if I missed it already, but what is that ramp thing where the water comes out of the HOB filter?  Is it a DIY thing? 

The ramp is actually because the flow was too much for my shrooms. The right side of the tank was recieving toooo much flow so i took a piece o the internal bracket that i wasnt using and clipped it on to reduce the flow on that side essentially to keep the flow strong on the top and left sides and slow down the flow on the bottom right side where the shrooms/acan/favia are 🙂

• Thanks 1

I talked to you about setting up a Pico reef about a month ago for a science fair project and am starting the tank in early August so it is cycled and 100 percent ready by October. I was wondering what kind of light you use in this tank and if you have any experience with the ABI 23 watt tuna blue light (on amazon). Also I have come up with a new idea with the science fair. I am going to get 3 of the same type of acan then spot feed them different foods and see which one creates the most heads by the end of the two month period. Any other ideas would be great. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, 12scanlon said:

I talked to you about setting up a Pico reef about a month ago for a science fair project and am starting the tank in early August so it is cycled and 100 percent ready by October. I was wondering what kind of light you use in this tank and if you have any experience with the ABI 23 watt tuna blue light (on amazon). Also I have come up with a new idea with the science fair. I am going to get 3 of the same type of acan then spot feed them different foods and see which one creates the most heads by the end of the two month period. Any other ideas would be great. 

Im currently still using the par 38 tuna blue led (12 w) got it on ebay though for around 50 ish 🙂 it grows corals incredibly well and really brings out great coloration.

Acans would do good, but i think Favia corals will show the best growth as you can visibly see the spreading differences as they will seemingly melt onto any surface and grow/split new heads like crazy! 

My favia when i got it (pic 1)

Screenshot_2018-07-24-01-23-39.thumb.png.593526320e57984cfc92909f1771bba8.png

My favia recently (pic 2)

20180526_214658-02.thumb.jpeg.dc4dff1ad620e8c6551bb8eb6171137e.jpeg

random feeding pic from tonight (my favia is an animal i can feed every polyp a pellet and itll never refuse any of them haha) 

20180723_211704-04.thumb.jpeg.64c30147ec112a2a3d278badfd99a030.jpeg

• Like 3
13 hours ago, TheRope said:

Im currently still using the par 38 tuna blue led (12 w) got it on ebay though for around 50 ish 🙂 it grows corals incredibly well and really brings out great coloration.

Acans would do good, but i think Favia corals will show the best growth as you can visibly see the spreading differences as they will seemingly melt onto any surface and grow/split new heads like crazy! 

My favia when i got it (pic 1)

Screenshot_2018-07-24-01-23-39.thumb.png.593526320e57984cfc92909f1771bba8.png

My favia recently (pic 2)

20180526_214658-02.thumb.jpeg.dc4dff1ad620e8c6551bb8eb6171137e.jpeg

random feeding pic from tonight (my favia is an animal i can feed every polyp a pellet and itll never refuse any of them haha) 

20180723_211704-04.thumb.jpeg.64c30147ec112a2a3d278badfd99a030.jpeg

Thx! Favias would be cool but I have never taken care of them... also I am having great success with my acans. In the last month 2 new heads have sprung up. When I got this coral I’m april it was 2 and a half heads and now it is going on 6 (if you want to include the baby heads) . In your experience which grows faster acans or favias? I need a fast grower so I will have results. Also the only seapora Pico tank I can find is the 43 dollar 4 gallon on amazon. I think they may have discontinued the 2 gallon or something. Do you have any other suggestions for small tanks? Thx! Without you I would be no where near this close to starting a Pico reef. Thx again!

• Like 1

Well depending on the type of build you can always get a jar or vase, i personally picked up my 2 gallon at an lfs, if you check any freshwater auqascaping store youre bound to find a rimless cube of sorts. 

My acans have grown quite a bit as well but the growth has been crazy significant on my favia, its gone from 9 mouths to around 25+ and is spreading onto the glass. With progressive pics you can really show how much they can spread! But if youre comfy with acans, by all means go for it, they're an incredible coral!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, TheRope said:

Well depending on the type of build you can always get a jar or vase, i personally picked up my 2 gallon at an lfs, if you check any freshwater auqascaping store youre bound to find a rimless cube of sorts. 

My acans have grown quite a bit as well but the growth has been crazy significant on my favia, its gone from 9 mouths to around 25+ and is spreading onto the glass. With progressive pics you can really show how much they can spread! But if youre comfy with acans, by all means go for it, they're an incredible coral!

Have just come up with a new idea... I’m going to test which coral species acan, favia, or blastomussa produces the most heads in 2 or 3 months. I could even do this with euphyllia like frogspawn hammer and torches. Also what are you feeding ur corals!! That is a crazy amount of growth. Thx!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, 12scanlon said:

Have just come up with a new idea... I’m going to test which coral species acan, favia, or blastomussa produces the most heads in 2 or 3 months. I could even do this with euphyllia like frogspawn hammer and torches. Also what are you feeding ur corals!! That is a crazy amount of growth. Thx!

Can do duncans as well! Im feeding vitalis lps coral pellets and reef roids! 

2 hours ago, TheRope said:

Can do duncans as well! Im feeding vitalis lps coral pellets and reef roids! 

Yeh! I didn’t even think about them... I don’t feed my torch should I start? Right now it’s growing pretty well it’s split and there is a new head that about the size of a dime in three months. Is that about normal? There are so many possibilities coming with a new tank. I’m even going to move the tank into my school a week before science fair so I can have it set up and going while I’m presenting my science fair. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 12scanlon said:

Yeh! I didn’t even think about them... I don’t feed my torch should I start? Right now it’s growing pretty well it’s split and there is a new head that about the size of a dime in three months. Is that about normal? There are so many possibilities coming with a new tank. I’m even going to move the tank into my school a week before science fair so I can have it set up and going while I’m presenting my science fair. 

Ive never owned a torch so i wouldnt know, my hammer doesnt react to the lps pellets very well, my duncans, favia and acans adore the pellets! I dont really feed my euphylia other than a bit of reefroids

• Like 1
6 hours ago, screenshot11 said:

Hi what is you hob filter. Planning also to put one in my 10 gal tank.

The aquaclear 50, id recommend at least the aquaclear 70 on a 10 gal.

screenshot11
31 minutes ago, TheRope said:

The aquaclear 50, id recommend at least the aquaclear 70 on a 10 gal.

Nice thanks. may i know also the dimension of your aquaclear 50? i have to fit it to the side of my tank.

Just now, screenshot11 said:

Nice thanks. may i know also the dimension of your aquaclear 50? i have to fit it to the side of my tank.

Uh im really not sure and im not home to check currently, im sure if you google it or check on the aquaclear website youll find it...

25 minutes ago, TheRope said:

Uh im really not sure and im not home to check currently, im sure if you google it or check on the aquaclear website youll find it...

The aquaclear 50 series is 7"x4"x5.75 and thats LxWxH

(Source of Info)

• Thanks 1