SaltCritters.com

The Fools Reef ... The final 2.5 gallon long pico

TheRope

ThisPlaceIsAPrison
On 9/16/2017 at 12:07 PM, TheRope said:

I forgot to mention feeding...

I use Reef roids once a week (3 hours prior to water change sunday)

Vitalis aquatic nutrition LPS coral pellets (for my acans only, on wednesday) 

Frozen misis shrimp to alternate with pellets for my acans, though i will try and feed on to my Orange Rhodactis and see what happens. (Be careful with misis. They are often frozen in tap water, so be sure to thaw them out then rince the pieces with salt water from your tank to reduce contamination AND PREVENT ALGAE GROWTH)

ALWAYS ALWAYS water change after a feeding of powdered plankton or powdered food in general. The only food i dont water change after is the lps pellets because I drop 1 into each mouth carefully. 

1505578014938188337594.jpg

I am putting this policy into place in my EVO, thank you!  I just recently fed my coral for the first time with ReefRoids and live Phytoplankton.  Next day huge algae bloom in my sandbed.  

12 hours ago, jahnje said:

I'm glad this worked for you.

Corals that completely contract their polyps seem to handle full peroxide dips just fine.  I find that irritating them a little by changing flow rates or bobbing  them in and out of the water to cause them to completely contract, keeps them very well protected during a 5 min peroxide dip. 

Indeed, i like to just softly spray some water on them with a turkey baster and it closes them up gently!

7 hours ago, vlangel said:

That is good to know!  Thanks rope and jahnje!

Anytime!

7 hours ago, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

I am putting this policy into place in my EVO, thank you!  I just recently fed my coral for the first time with ReefRoids and live Phytoplankton.  Next day huge algae bloom in my sandbed.  

Awesome! I havent been feeding at all lately, but will start again shortly! Reef roids is a gambling method, you nust grow everything with it, algae included hahaha 

Recieved the coral shipment this morning thanks to fragbox for getting live corals to me in -30 degree weather. They are all doing super well opened up within the hour of shipping, acclimating, dipping and refragging. They are currently sitting on small pieces of flat glass, i did this because barebottom does not go well with frag pugs and some of these werent your typicsl frag plugs that you can just break off. So this is where they are for the next week as they get used to the lighting.

IMG_20180103_160852_052.jpg

IMG_20180103_160951_122.jpg

IMG_20180103_161046_503.jpg

IMG_20180103_161138_181.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

-30???  Where the heck do you live, Antarctica? :lol:  It has been 12 degrees in the morning round here and I am freezing lol.

Good ol canada!

6 minutes ago, TheRope said:

Good ol canada!

Close enough? ;)

:lol:

I actually almost said the North Pole first, which would have been significantly closer to the true answer lol.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Close enough? ;)

:lol:

I actually almost said the North Pole first, which would have been significantly closer to the true answer lol.

Hahaha yup! I waited out the super cold to order, this week is mild (coldest well get is -18 i think). But fortunately for me, ive got fragbox and their amazingness, they are about 5 hours away from us over here, but im pretty sure theyve tested their packaging. They also made sure to personally contact me very quickly after it was recieved! 

• Like 2

Not much is happening in the fools reef.

The monti healed

My new frags are doing great just waiting for my next waterchange to stick them to the rock 

Theres a ton of collonista snails now.

And thats about it 

Enjoy this wonderful picturr of my new male tokay gecko in the meantime 

IMG_20180105_204136_975.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

The gecko is adorable!

He likes to bite really hard and the female likes to sprint at lightning speed, but ita my first day with them so im gonna love em up XD 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, TheRope said:

Not much is happening in the fools reef.

The monti healed

My new frags are doing great just waiting for my next waterchange to stick them to the rock 

Theres a ton of collonista snails now.

And thats about it 

Enjoy this wonderful picturr of my new male tokay gecko in the meantime 

IMG_20180105_204136_975.jpg

Handsome fella!  I want an African fat-tailed gecko someday. :wub: I got to hold one in college and he was super-chill!

• Like 1
On 06/01/2018 at 7:23 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Handsome fella!  I want an African fat-tailed gecko someday. :wub: I got to hold one in college and he was super-chill!

Yess theyre very relaxed! I just had to be attracted to the feistiest gecko species ever... then buy a pair XD theyre doing well. Reef is doing well as well. 

I noticed some algae on the glass, doing an insane cleanp tomorrow with the waterchange cant waiiit!

• Like 1

Zoas on the rocks ;)

(And cyphastrea top view) 

Honestly this tank is running incredibly smooth. Only annoyance is hair algae growth. But guess where? On my gawdang macro algae. The one place i cannot... CANNOT peroxide.  Cant and peroxide shouldnt be in the same sentence. Buuuut i think coral rx has hair algae killing abilities so i may soak 3 out of the 4 frags i made incase i kill them ill have one left to work with ... so much for macro algae depleting the nutrients for the hair algae... it gave it a free appartment instead.

IMG_20180108_203939_046.jpg

IMG_20180108_203635_357.jpg

IMG_20180108_203828_943.jpg

IMG_20180108_203426_604.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, TheRope said:

Zoas on the rocks ;)

(And cyphastrea top view) 

Honestly this tank is running incredibly smooth. Only annoyance is hair algae growth. But guess where? On my gawdang macro algae. The one place i cannot... CANNOT peroxide.  Cant and peroxide shouldnt be in the same sentence. Buuuut i think coral rx has hair algae killing abilities so i may soak 3 out of the 4 frags i made incase i kill them ill have one left to work with ... so much for macro algae depleting the nutrients for the hair algae... it gave it a free appartment instead.

IMG_20180108_203939_046.jpg

IMG_20180108_203635_357.jpg

IMG_20180108_203828_943.jpg

IMG_20180108_203426_604.jpg

I've had that happen and resorted to scraping the hair algae off. Doesn't work that great though lol.

18 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I've had that happen and resorted to scraping the hair algae off. Doesn't work that great though lol.

18 hours ago, vlangel said:

I get nuisance algae on my macro algae too and its frustrating.  It has not happened in the jar but it happens a lot in the seahorse tank.

Yup very annoying. I will let you guys know about the coral rx dip! 

Also M A G N E T S

Screenshot_2018-01-09-17-04-34.png

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I love the last pic!  Is that a shroom?  It almost looks like a RFA in that pic.  Anyway its awesome.

Its my favorite coral! My rhodactis shroooom! 

• Like 1