Pod Your Reef

The Fools Reef ... The final 2.5 gallon long pico

TheRope

Aaand so after 2 days of repetitive spawning the anemones had officially triggered the palys which in turn murdered the other soft coral in the tank and were starting to harm the nems despite all the w.c.

So I threw out the palys ...and the bowl ... And right before I was about to wuit the hobby I ended up with this little vase, and seeing the nems doing so well in there (I was holding them until I had time to bring them to the lfs) i realized I couldnt get did of them so I kept the vase... 

I then recently added a beautiful favites which I hope will completely encrust this rock, and once it does encrust I will upgrade the vase back to a bowl or maybe a 2 gallon long well see... 

But for now some pics 

20190601_172910-02.jpeg

20190530_190514-01.jpeg

20190601_185906-01.jpeg

20190601_185920-02.jpeg

20190529_182044-01.jpeg

20190529_181927-01.jpeg

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Agreed! It was heartbreaking to see the crash again. This new vase is looking pretty cool @TheRope, hopefully life is easier without palys this go around.

Unfortunately there are some on the rock, I wasn't able to remove them all, but despite it being a crash I had successfully spawned nems in a bowl 😂😂 but now if they do it again, i can mix and heat 2L of water in about 20 mins so I can react much quicker if they do spawn again

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

It's tough to revisit, but I hope you can share a recap here of what happened during the spawn and crash. Despite the outcome, spawning anemones in what is fundamentally a fish bowl is really quite something! It could help those who tread on this path some day in the future. 🙂 

On 6/1/2019 at 8:46 PM, Christopher Marks said:

It's tough to revisit, but I hope you can share a recap here of what happened during the spawn and crash. Despite the outcome, spawning anemones in what is fundamentally a fish bowl is really quite something! It could help those who tread on this path some day in the future. 🙂 

Definitely, i really do not mind as i tend to try and go away from what is proven to work and try things that i find personally interresting, this often comes with failure haha

But so what happened is on a Saturday night I noticed the nems spawning, so the next morning I did a close to 100% w.c to remove the eggs and gunk

A day later late at night (Sunday) I noticed them spawning again, but at this point I didnt have enough time to remove the water as I needed to go to work the next day and wouldnt be home until later the next day, unfortunately that was too long of a period and insane level of die off (eggs and sperm) in the water caused the palys to lose it, killing my kenya tree and xenia by the time I got home. 

So fearing the worst and having been discouraged I tore the tank down and was gonna bring my coral and everyrjing to the lfs

But I realized the lfs was closed so plan b was to get rid of the palys (I dont think the lfs would have wanted them anyways) and make a setup to keep the nems alive until I had time to bring them to the lfs but when I saw them doing so well in the vase I coildnt get rid of them. 

Now i am paly free. And the tank has 1/2 a gallon of water volume so if the nems spawn I should be able to change the water out as quick as humanly possible! I'm just glad I saved my expensive, beautiful nems. 

• Like 4

My pom pom crab has begun a symbiotic relationship with a hitchhiker nps ball anemone (pseudochorynactus mushroom) 

How cool is that???

IMG_20190615_103640_434.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
3 minutes ago, Tempestas said:

That is awesome. I wonder if it's going to try and split it at some stage.

I almost guarantee itll try, i just hope the mushroom survives! 

• Like 1

The full tank shot is with a heavy orange filter making the tank look as if it were under whites

All corals are doing well and my favites are actually growing onto the rock already!

received_2302624286732218.jpeg

received_431299011026344-02.jpeg

received_895664564104143-01.jpeg

received_408314410019803-03.jpeg

received_1140805736091120-01.jpeg

received_897021730637464-01.jpeg

received_580746055666569-01.jpeg

• Like 6
Christopher Marks

So cool to see the pom pom crab adopt a ball anemone! Hopefully the other crab doesn't try to steal it! Do you recall how along ago they lost theirs originally? Did you notice them start to hide more, or do they seem to stay out in the open without any predators in there?

Love the new tank! Very interesting about the ball anemone!! I just noticed one in my tank a week ago, don’t know where it came from. 

• Like 1
On 6/23/2019 at 11:36 AM, Christopher Marks said:

So cool to see the pom pom crab adopt a ball anemone! Hopefully the other crab doesn't try to steal it! Do you recall how along ago they lost theirs originally? Did you notice them start to hide more, or do they seem to stay out in the open without any predators in there?

They lost them about a month and a half ago approximately. Their behaviour hasnt changed they remain hidden during the day and prowl at night for food, but I do coax them out once every two days for feeding. I do this buy sprinkling a bit of reef roids into the system which brings them out of their hiding spots. Theyve associated reef roofs and my tongs to feeding so they wait for my tongs to bring them lps pellets and they grab them right off and return to their hiding spots! 

• Like 2
On 6/23/2019 at 1:14 PM, banasophia said:

Love the new tank! Very interesting about the ball anemone!! I just noticed one in my tank a week ago, don’t know where it came from. 

Thank you! Yeah they appear as hitchikers and like the dark, theyre usually under rocks wedged into crevices at night with a flashlight you can often see their little tentacles dangling underneath catching pods 

• Like 2

And because they are beautiful, you can't delete them from existence but still know you will need storage for better photos in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Wingy said:

You post them because they are beautiful and you are an inspiration.  

16 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

And because they are beautiful, you can't delete them from existence but still know you will need storage for better photos in the future.

Haha that'll do it I guess 😂😍 

Wish I had more coral in here to photograph maybe ill squeeze something else in somewhere 

I was thinking of hiding some sun corals on the rock shadowed by the caulastrea I think they would do well since I feed this tank pretty often 

But other than that I cant figure out where I would place anythinf else for long-term growth

• Like 1