Cultivated Reef

The Fools Reef ... The final 2.5 gallon long pico

TheRope

I recieved the corals yesterday but that palythoa really really ####ed everything up. The second i placed him into the tank everyone closed up and ive never seen my discosomas close up for anything. It was ridiculous . So i did a 70% waterchange but at around 2 am last night i went to check up on the tank and my sps had pushed out their messenterial fillaments my hammers as well. So i tripple bagged that toxic (but beautiful) coral and chucked it into the garbage outside. 

checked up again this morning around 7 am and everyones back to normal. May do another waterchange tonight and a heavy feeding to get everyone on track again... 

but on the bright side ive now added my final two corals (one was a freebie which was nice since i threw out the paly i payed for) and the other was my bounced interstellar discosoma! Now we feed and watch the progression. Hoping everything goes well from this point on 🙂

On 8/2/2018 at 11:56 AM, TheRope said:

I recieved the corals yesterday but that palythoa really really ####ed everything up. The second i placed him into the tank everyone closed up and ive never seen my discosomas close up for anything. It was ridiculous . So i did a 70% waterchange but at around 2 am last night i went to check up on the tank and my sps had pushed out their messenterial fillaments my hammers as well. So i tripple bagged that toxic (but beautiful) coral and chucked it into the garbage outside. 

checked up again this morning around 7 am and everyones back to normal. May do another waterchange tonight and a heavy feeding to get everyone on track again... 

but on the bright side ive now added my final two corals (one was a freebie which was nice since i threw out the paly i payed for) and the other was my bounced interstellar discosoma! Now we feed and watch the progression. Hoping everything goes well from this point on 🙂

Sorry about the paly, thats a shame.

14 hours ago, vlangel said:

Sorry about the paly, thats a shame.

All is good now though, im just glad i got my cool interstellar and they sent me the freebie chalice so i payed itself back off. Thats how we learn i guess 🙂

• Like 2

So heres some pics of angles i never really show... and my montipora spongodes is plating onto the glass as well! Things are growing quickly with the heavy feedings.

Its such a pleasure to be in this hobby and to interact with everyone. I see so many people starting pico reefs now its amazing. 

I think im gonna start a species only reef (probably of my interstellar mushrooms when they start to overtake) 

20180806_141841-01.jpeg

20180806_141816-02.jpeg

20180806_141449-01.jpeg

20180806_125748-01.jpeg

• Like 2

An update while my professor repeats the same stuff hes already said twice... 

So I've decided that no more corals shall be added to the pico. Anything else that is added will likely be killed or kill something else. So now we wait. 

I finally placed my frogspawn properly (i had him hiding in the back shadowed by the duncans as i couldnt figure out where to place him without him destroying everything) but now hes nice and happy! 

Here's the video: 

• Like 3
On 8/13/2018 at 9:32 AM, JBM said:

Excellent as always

Thanks man! 

I just purchased this it should be coming in today...

Also i might be starting a .5 gallon vase still testing the heating method

Screenshot_2018-08-14-17-22-12.png

• Like 1

Finally recieved some orange gel filters thanks to a wonderful friend of mine! 

Heres a video with the one I found to be the best (makes it closest to realy life) 

Video: 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 11:56 AM, TheRope said:

My guess is the paly was stressed from shipping and decided to nuke everything lol.  Glad you caught it!  Tank is looking really great.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

My guess is the paly was stressed from shipping and decided to nuke everything lol.  Glad you caught it!  Tank is looking really great.

I havent been updating here anymore, doing everythung through instagram @fools_reef

But thanks!

I'll admit, while I know what Instagram is, I don't really know what it is. Lol

I just got my first cell phone a month ago, and this site is about as close as I am interested in getting to social media. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2018 at 10:16 AM, MrObscura said:

I'll admit, while I know what Instagram is, I don't really know what it is. Lol

I just got my first cell phone a month ago, and this site is about as close as I am interested in getting to social media. 

Its just a quick way to post pics, and updates. I use it as a journal and people have easier visibility on what`s being posted so they can respond quicker. It`s a platform for photography in essence, so you have a page of all the pics you`ve posted + daily "stories" with a lot of add ons. Once you click on a picture it'll show you the description that you typed in (journal/documentation)

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty up on tech when it comes to electronics, PCs, etc., but when it comes to social media, and until recently cell phones, I'm a old curmudgeonly man stuck in a 30 something body. 

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, MrObscura said:

I'm pretty up on tech when it comes to electronics, PCs, etc., but when it comes to social media, and until recently cell phones, I'm a old curmudgeonly man stuck in a 30 something body. 

Hahahah amazing 😂😂😂

Hey! A couple months ago I talked to u about making a jar and all your advice has helped me a lot. It’s currenly running and zoas are doing great. I was wondering about how high you have your light currently. I have a 23 watt abi tuna blue so I’d probably have to go up a couple more inches than yours. 

I was also wondering how many times a week you feed reef roids, and how to measure reef roids for such a small volume tank. 

Thanks😄

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 10/30/2018 at 5:54 PM, 12scanlon said:

Hey! A couple months ago I talked to u about making a jar and all your advice has helped me a lot. It’s currenly running and zoas are doing great. I was wondering about how high you have your light currently. I have a 23 watt abi tuna blue so I’d probably have to go up a couple more inches than yours. 

I was also wondering how many times a week you feed reef roids, and how to measure reef roids for such a small volume tank. 

Thanks😄

Hey im so glad my tank has helped you out! I have the light about 17 inches above waterline. I dont really measure my reefroids i simply feed a couple hours before a big waterchange (weekly) and this just removes the extra waste that the roids creates! 

After much thought and annoyance with evaporation on my 2 and 5 gallon tanks i decidednto tear them down and place all my corals into a deep sandbed vase, which i believe will be the final build. 

I added the corals positioned the rocks how i wanted and now i refuse to stick my hand in. I will only touch the tank for glass cleaning, waterchanges and fragging when stuff gets out of hand.

Here is what it looks like (a bit more rock than id like but once it covers itself in coral my opinion will probably change) 

Also I updated the first post to show you guys what equipment im using.

20190102_180346-02.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, TheRope said:

Hey im so glad my tank has helped you out! I have the light about 17 inches above waterline. I dont really measure my reefroids i simply feed a couple hours before a big waterchange (weekly) and this just removes the extra waste that the roids creates! 

ok. i have my light around 22 because the corals coming from my biocube can’t really handle that much light immediately. i’ll probably acclimate them slowly to get to around 17 inches. I have been doing the same thing with reef roids before water changes. I also do a few drops of fuel to give my mussel something to feed on during the week. thanks!