Jump to content
TheRope

The Fools Reef ... Back to a vase!

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

@TheRope as your bowl has become more full, what helps you decide where to place and glue a new coral frag? Are you ever concerned about your LPS corals stinging your soft corals at night? Any advice for fellow and future pico owners? 🙂 

What really decides where i put a new coral is usually based on how i predict its growth to be and the coral surrounding it. Most of my corals cant really harm eachother as you can see i split the tank in 5 sections upper glass sps, left side mushrooms, middle is a weird mix (chalice, birdsnest and some palys) , right side zoa/palys + the sinularia which wont be harmed by the growth of zoas/palys then right side towards the glass is lps (short tentacle hammers and acans) my acans ive never seen send out any sort of sweeper same with my hammers! Though due to how the flow is i dont think they will reach anything if they do try but there is a significant gap between them and the coral!

 

You can kind of see the space that im talking about with the hammers 

20190204_212031-02.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/27/2019 at 7:45 PM, Friendly said:

Roof, how many gallons is that bowl of yours?

3 gallons!

Share this post


Link to post

Fantastic advice, that makes sense. That's a great view of how you've grouped everything from above! Thank you for sharing your thought process and examples, very helpful!

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Fantastic advice, that makes sense. That's a great view of how you've grouped everything from above! Thank you for sharing your thought process and examples, very helpful!

Im glad that made any sense haha, also i disregard typical placement things such as high for sps low for mushrooms, because 4-5 inches of difference wont change the par durastically. My main goal is to place them and never move them again, the least you move them the quicker they begin to thrive!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, TheRope said:

To be fair i chose very easy corals in general, but these easy corals happen to be my favorites! (Palys and mushrooms are my top 2!) 

I meant to type how Many corals are flourishing instead of how any corals ...  just astounded at all the beauty packed in there! Wish my tanks looked like that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Newstead said:

I meant to type how Many corals are flourishing instead of how any corals ...  just astounded at all the beauty packed in there! Wish my tanks looked like that.

To be fair its much easier to pack a 3 gallon than most other tanks hahah

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hahaha holy moly! 😲

 

I've never seen an amphipod get spot fed, how cool 😄! Now I know what the future has in store for some of mine. They're interesting little critters, it's neat to see them so active in a habitat without many predators. I find what I believe are their molts floating around the tank from time to time, they're growing up quick.

 

Stellar video, thanks for sharing! ❤️ 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Hahaha holy moly! 😲

 

I've never seen an amphipod get spot fed, how cool 😄! Now I know what the future has in store for some of mine. They're interesting little critters, it's neat to see them so active in a habitat without many predators. I find what I believe are their molts floating around the tank from time to time, they're growing up quick.

 

Stellar video, thanks for sharing! ❤️ 

 

 

Hahayup! Definitely their molts, ive seen this guy molt before and its the most aggressive prosses ive ever seen. Usually molting is a slow dangerous process for inverts but these guys jerk aggressively and pull themselves out in one pull! Very impressive.

  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post

Someone in the LFS was saying something to me like, professional reefing below 5 gallons was impossible when talking about his large reef tank. Then I showed him your vase and he was amazed haha. One of the best picos and I enjoy your pictures.😎

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post

The urge to say something stupid like "they hate us cuz they aint us" came up in my mind 😂😂😂 

 

But yeah i mean it is a very odd concept that a huge environment which such stability can be recreated in a betta bowl with no insane equipment! The downside to these small systems is we dont get to own fish (though i want to try and keep a panda goby/trimma goby one day!) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

This gold mushroom in the 2nd and 3rd pic is insane! He wasnt doing so well in the 2 gal but here hes been loving life! 

 

Also i love these palys too much. 

 

20190204_212238-03.jpeg

 

20190204_212127-03-01.jpeg

 

20190206_220556-01.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/6/2019 at 2:37 PM, Nelson said:

Someone in the LFS was saying something to me like, professional reefing below 5 gallons was impossible when talking about his large reef tank. Then I showed him your vase and he was amazed haha. One of the best picos and I enjoy your pictures.😎

 

Ignorance is bliss.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

A wonderful video narrated by MightyNanoTank about evap in a small system!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

silly question...but are all your inhabitants peaceful, or do you get some coral on coral warfare time to time? as the coral grows/expands, it's gonna get crowded...which I guess means fragging or some serious kerfuffling.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Friendly said:

silly question...but are all your inhabitants peaceful, or do you get some coral on coral warfare time to time? as the coral grows/expands, it's gonna get crowded...which I guess means fragging or some serious kerfuffling.

Great question, so far i have placed em in a way where they wont touch, mushrooms are all together, palys all together, acan is on a magnet, same with my two montis, my hammers have their own rock in the back. The only two areas where things will converge is the paly and sinularia, which im not worried about because palys dont grow on sinularias. And the second is the the middle section. The chalice has quite a bit of room for now. But the palys may grow and kill the birdsnest or they wont. Either way it doesnt bother me because either they leave it alone or they grow on the skeleton. Both will look cool. My cloves at the back are very easy to frag so thats no problem either. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Привет, TheRope! Мне очень нравится твоя рифовая ваза)

Я читаю вашу ветку, а также хочу создать небольшую рифовую вазу. У меня есть несколько вопросов для вас.

1) Какой поток дает ваш воздушный насос?  

2) Почему вы отказались от использования небольшого внутреннего фильтра?

Спасибо за совет 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, IRIsKA Smile said:

Привет, TheRope! Мне очень нравится твоя рифовая ваза)

Я читаю вашу ветку, а также хочу создать небольшую рифовую вазу. У меня есть несколько вопросов для вас.

1) Какой поток дает ваш воздушный насос?  

2) Почему вы отказались от использования небольшого внутреннего фильтра?

Спасибо за совет 

The flow is a tetra 10 whisper air pump and the reasonfor no filter is becase it is unecssary, and will ruin the look of the tank 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I added a 1 inch sixline wrasse to the tank to deal with some minor flatworm problems. Hes staying here for about 3-4 weeks and is then being returned to the lfs just in time to switch him for a barnacle blenny! Arrangment has been made! 

Also check out my first acropora!

 

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/5/2019 at 9:45 PM, TheRope said:

Heres the unit amphipod whos insanely large compared to the other ones! 

He is a gammarid amphipod, a really bold one!  keep him well fed I have had them eat zoas, blasto s, and Acans in my bowl.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

He is a gammarid amphipod, a really bold one!  keep him well fed I have had them eat zoas, blasto s, and Acans in my bowl.

Wow interesting! I dont think hes alive anymore. Mini six line wrasse prowling the bowl! 

 

Heres a macro of my pompom! Its super cute!!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I really want to add a pom pom crab to my pico reef, I'm glad to see yours is doing well in the reef bowl! ❤️

 

How has the six line wrasse been acclimating to the bowl so far @TheRope?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I really want to add a pom pom crab to my pico reef, I'm glad to see yours is doing well in the reef bowl! ❤️

 

How has the six line wrasse been acclimating to the bowl so far @TheRope?

Haha love my pom pom! The sixline is doing absolutely incredibly its crazy! Theyre very strong fish and hes just been cruisin through the corals, doesnt leave the rockwork haha!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

are you going to be able to keep a fish in the bowl permanently, or will they all grow to big to be housed there safely/kindly?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Friendly said:

are you going to be able to keep a fish in the bowl permanently, or will they all grow to big to be housed there safely/kindly?

The fish in going to be getting will stay under 1.5 inches and doesnt swim! The barnacle goby will be the perfect fish for the 3 gal! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×