Coral Vue Hydros

The Fools Reef ... The final 2.5 gallon long pico

TheRope

Christopher Marks
4 hours ago, TheRope said:

Got a video od the crab as well as a pretty video of the tank: 

I love this new pom pom crab you've added, glad to see it doing well! I may follow in your footsteps with my pico jar and choose a pom pom instead of a cleaner shrimp, keep us posted on yours over the next few weeks. 🙂 

I too am impressed with how clear the glass bowl is, it looks so crisp, that's awesome! Just today I was lamenting the clarity of my pico jar glass and all its flaws.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I love this new pom pom crab you've added, glad to see it doing well! I may follow in your footsteps with my pico jar and choose a pom pom instead of a cleaner shrimp, keep us posted on yours over the next few weeks. 🙂 

I too am impressed with how clear the glass bowl is, it looks so crisp, that's awesome! Just today I was lamenting the clarity of my pico jar glass and all its flaws.

Thanks for sharing!

My cleaner shrimp used to piss me off so much, everytime id go near the man for maintenance or for pictures shed come running out onto my zoas and stepping on everything so is have to wait for everything to open up again before pics.

I think the best inverts for picos are dwarf blue leg hermits, porcelain crabs and these pom poms (maybe sexy shrimps) but thatd my opinion i guess 😂

• Like 1
On 1/5/2019 at 5:49 AM, TheRope said:

Heres the update video i promised! 

Wow, that is the new standard in reef vases!  I will follow the progression.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, TheRope said:

My cleaner shrimp used to piss me off so much, everytime id go near the man for maintenance or for pictures shed come running out onto my zoas and stepping on everything so is have to wait for everything to open up again before pics.

I think the best inverts for picos are dwarf blue leg hermits, porcelain crabs and these pom poms (maybe sexy shrimps) but thatd my opinion i guess 😂

Yes, that's exactly what I've concluded. At least for pico tanks. And pom pom crabs are the best of the three in terms of not bothering corals, coming out of hiding (once they get bigger), and being generally entertaining.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Yes, that's exactly what I've concluded. At least for pico tanks. And pom pom crabs are the best of the three in terms of not bothering corals, coming out of hiding (once they get bigger), and being generally entertaining.

I found if you have a mushroom coral (rhodactis or a small flower nem) the porcelains can be just as sweet around the corals, im curious to see if my pom pom is a male or female!

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, TheRope said:

I found if you have a mushroom coral (rhodactis or a small flower nem) the porcelains can be just as sweet around the corals, im curious to see if my pom pom is a male or female!

I had two pom poms in my 4g tank. I used to see the female spawning every once in a while. I'll see if I can find the video I made of her.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Well that was easier than I thought :lol:

Wow that is absolutely incredible! Ehat are the possibilities of breeding pom pom crabs successfully in captivity?

1 hour ago, TheRope said:

Wow that is absolutely incredible! Ehat are the possibilities of breeding pom pom crabs successfully in captivity?

From what I understand, it's possible but difficult. 

4 hours ago, teenyreef said:

From what I understand, it's possible but difficult. 

That would be a fun pronect to perform in a pico 😍 

Also I have this one frag eith what seems to be micro fluorescent green feather dusters, super cool

20190109_213858-01.jpeg

20190109_213928-01.jpeg

• Like 3
10 hours ago, TheRope said:

That would be a fun pronect to perform in a pico 😍 

Also I have this one frag eith what seems to be micro fluorescent green feather dusters, super cool

20190109_213858-01.jpeg

20190109_213928-01.jpeg

My red macro pack from Gulf Coast Ecosystems came in yesterday with a couple mini red feather dusters! :wub:

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

My red macro pack from Gulf Coast Ecosystems came in yesterday with a couple mini red feather dusters! :wub:

I love those onesss and i love red macro!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 12scanlon said:

I was wondering what type of magnets you use for your tank. looking to get some since I added my first sps to my pico. 

They are the k&j magnetic plastic sealed magnets!

• Like 1

The videos are great! I haven't done much feeding in a long time. Just ordered a much smaller tank than my IM14 though so soon enough I hope to be back at it!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

The videos are great! I haven't done much feeding in a long time. Just ordered a much smaller tank than my IM14 though so soon enough I hope to be back at it!

Woohoo cant wait! Lemme know how that goes! 

3 hours ago, TheRope said:

Woohoo cant wait! Lemme know how that goes! 

I'll be starting a thread for it when I'm ready to set it up, going to use live rock this go round because dry rock and I have not been friends lol.  Also looking forward to smaller size water changes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'll be starting a thread for it when I'm ready to set it up, going to use live rock this go round because dry rock and I have not been friends lol.  Also looking forward to smaller size water changes!

Live rock is the bestttt plus awesome hitchhikers! Small waterchanges are exactly why i took down my 5 gallon, too big for me...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, TheRope said:

Live rock is the bestttt plus awesome hitchhikers! Small waterchanges are exactly why i took down my 5 gallon, too big for me...

Five gallons is a nice size.  I'm going with slightly bigger since I have Merlin the pink-streaked wrasse and also the green-banded goby.  If it weren't for Merlin I'd probably go smaller but I want to make sure he has swimming room.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Five gallons is a nice size.  I'm going with slightly bigger since I have Merlin the pink-streaked wrasse and also the green-banded goby.  If it weren't for Merlin I'd probably go smaller but I want to make sure he has swimming room.

Merlin sounds like a cutie 😍