ReefCleaners.org

The Fools Reef ... The final 2.5 gallon long pico

TheRope

4 minutes ago, TheRope said:

Hehe glad i helped you pick! Theres an even larger one thats 4 gal (10 x10 x10) pretty nice too. Just too big for me 🙂

Naw I’m lookin for a tiny tank to put in my room. Also I’m gonna do a science fair with it and see which type of zoas grow the fastest depending on the food fed to them or something😂😂😂. This would be so easy and an excuse to my parents for getting a new tank. I gotta start working though to make some money. Hopefully I can get a job somehow even though I’m under 16. Thx. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 12scanlon said:

Naw I’m lookin for a tiny tank to put in my room. Also I’m gonna do a science fair with it and see which type of zoas grow the fastest depending on the food fed to them or something😂😂😂. This would be so easy and an excuse to my parents for getting a new tank. I gotta start working though to make some money. Hopefully I can get a job somehow even though I’m under 16. Thx. 

In that case dose something like reef roids and propogate species vs species mushrooms vs xenia or something like that youll see results much quicker and the beauty will be there none the less! (I said dose some time of powdery food because zoas and mushrooms like proetin filled water and when starting a new tank itll get them going right quick

8 hours ago, TheRope said:

In that case dose something like reef roids and propogate species vs species mushrooms vs xenia or something like that youll see results much quicker and the beauty will be there none the less! (I said dose some time of powdery food because zoas and mushrooms like proetin filled water and when starting a new tank itll get them going right quick

Ok ??. When dosing reef roids or something how long do you wait after putting it in to do a water change? Also couldn’t you do a sump with a tiny tank of about 2-3 gallons to increase the amount of water going in and out? Like a 3 gallon cookie jar as a sump then the tank itself? Would this make it easier?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, 12scanlon said:

Ok ??. When dosing reef roids or something how long do you wait after putting it in to do a water change? Also couldn’t you do a sump with a tiny tank of about 2-3 gallons to increase the amount of water going in and out? Like a 3 gallon cookie jar as a sump then the tank itself? Would this make it easier?

Actually no the less water in this the easier imo but then again this is my opinion but it is so because waterchanges are key and when the water you change is 2 gals as opposed to 5 (i do 100% waterchanges on the fly) it allows you to do them quickly. Also if problems arise, i do not ever test my water as every problem (that isnt pest creatures) that has to do with water quality is instantly fixed by a water change, replenish nutrients due to salt, remove nitrates and built up detritus, clear coral warfare (palytoxin etc) and anything related to sudden algae blooms or spikes.

Recently to seed the tank with protein (since i have hidden macro algae) i did a very small dose of reefroids and didnt water change. No algae gree anywhere. So I did another one 2 days later. Still no algae so i did no water change. 

When spot feeding the corals with reefroids i use a looooooot of reefroids. I turn off the pumps and spot feed the corals. My waterchange is usually done after the corals have re opened up and are calm again. So around 3-4 hours later (just to be safe).  

1 hour ago, Muffin said:

What mushrooms are you thinking about getting?

Going with these from what ive seen but the guy im visiting this saturday has a large variet of high colored ones that he hasnt posted online so ill be making my choices there 🙂

Screenshot_2018-06-20-20-42-41.png

Screenshot_2018-06-20-20-42-28.png

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
8 hours ago, 12scanlon said:

Where did u get that rock also? It’s verrrryyy niceeee

Its 4 rocks, this time i took my time to actually pick out tocks at my lfs at that were easy to scape and actually stood on their own! Hahah

7 hours ago, TheRope said:

Its 4 rocks, this time i took my time to actually pick out tocks at my lfs at that were easy to scape and actually stood on their own! Hahah

Yeh lol 😂 I never take my time. When I get a new tank I pick the first rocks I see because I wanna set it up so bad.🤣🤣

17 hours ago, TheRope said:

Going with these from what ive seen but the guy im visiting this saturday has a large variet of high colored ones that he hasnt posted online so ill be making my choices there 🙂

Screenshot_2018-06-20-20-42-41.png

Screenshot_2018-06-20-20-42-28.png

Damn that top one is super nice

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 12scanlon said:

Yeh lol 😂 I never take my time. When I get a new tank I pick the first rocks I see because I wanna set it up so bad.🤣🤣

Thats the mistake i made 😕 but now i took my time and its awesome! 

32 minutes ago, vaughtk said:

Maybe I missed it if so I'm sorry, but what is the amount required for a water change in the cookie jar tank???  i cup!!

The jar had about 2.5 gallons in it 2 gallons with the rock and corals. (2 gal for 100 % waterchange with a decent scape)

1 hour ago, Muffin said:

Damn that top one is super nice

Ik!!! I cant wait to see what else he hass! 

Hey,

Happy to see this cube is still chugging along. Ive been very busy at work. But thrown in a few instagram creeper likes between jobs.

Keep up the good work

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JBM said:

Hey,

Happy to see this cube is still chugging along. Ive been very busy at work. But thrown in a few instagram creeper likes between jobs.

Keep up the good work

Thanks! I expect this tank to last quite a while hehe... 

Some zoa pics! 

20180702_182141-01.jpeg

20180702_182153-01.jpeg

• Like 1
On 7/2/2018 at 3:28 PM, TheRope said:

If you dont know what to do with your leftover mysis shrimp heres an option XD 

@Lula_Mae this may interest you 

That's so neat! Do you rinse the mysis to get the salt off, or do you thaw in fresh water?

19 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

That's so neat! Do you rinse the mysis to get the salt off, or do you thaw in fresh water?

Theyre frozen in fresh water. I thaw them in salt + rinse 🙂

(So i just thaw)