Coral Vue Hydros

The Fools Reef ... The final 2.5 gallon long pico

TheRope

hey that is good documentation for both zoanthid resiliency and for total algae control. Not only can I not see any algae on your entire system, now its free from the one place you had troubles lol.

if a little whisker grows back, not an issue, that thick skin they have takes up all kinds of inclusions, can work em again till a better way is found.

Unfortunately i still get small manageable patches here and there, but i think i found my problem, i backtracked and saw that the algae start happening when i switched to ro (i believe my ro filter wasnt filtering as well as i thought) so ive returned to distilled, and im getting much nicer coral activity from some corals that werent doing so good (my duncans specifically) and i will come back and notify based on the algae growth rate/return. 

• Like 3

Im seriously considering covering my whole barebottom in cyphastrea to minimize space for some stuff to grow as well.... so if any of you have a piece of some healthy cyphastrea in canada dont be shy hahah

• Like 1

I finally ordered some magnets from k&j magnetics... gonna be sticking some corals to the glass soon!

These are the baby cloves from the first batch :) they grew and spread very well! 

IMG_20171228_191648_994.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, Duane Clark said:

magnets?  is this just common knowledge or are you some kind of genius? 

Haha no it is kinda common amongst the vase reefers :) look at maritza the vase reef, theres quite a bit on magnets and quite a bit that grew over the magnets and onto the glass! 

39 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I am loving how your jar is progressing.

Thank you very much!!! I just had a little problem tonight (oh the irony) my baby red montipora digitata, is having some (what seems to me like) tissue necrosis. I believe it is due to 2 reasons both based on its positioning in my jar. 1: the flow in that particular section due to my rock was on the weaker side. 2: either a temperature drop or lighting (its in a back section) may not be reaching it as well as i thought. 

So anyways... I removed it from my rock, inspected it and decided to dip it in coral rx solution to make sure it wasnt an infection or anything of that sort and also to rid it of any algae spores that may take to the dead spots on the coral (which are very small but safety first) and now (since i dont have my magnets yet) stuck it to a strong suction cup and stuck it in my glass, my glass recieves incredible flow due to the jar shape, so no matter what the problem may be... the extra flow will help with healing. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TheRope said:

Mine is ultraaaa blue in pictures as well, i just learned how to edit my pixtures so they look like how i see them in real life

Do you take pics with an IPhone? What do you use?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheRope said:

My garbage samsung galaxy s5 XD

Hey at least it’s not an IPhone 5, Apple would have slowed it down to the point of being useless by now lol! Legit though, my brothers girlfriend had one and would get lost all the time because the GPS somehow mysteriously would quit working. 

What ay app do you use with the galaxy?

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, JoeR said:

Hey at least it’s not an IPhone 5, Apple would have slowed it down to the point of being useless by now lol! Legit though, my brothers girlfriend had one and would get lost all the time because the GPS somehow mysteriously would quit working. 

What ay app do you use with the galaxy?

Im just using instagram, thats where i post all my reef stuff, and they have a decent photo editing program built in :)

• Thanks 1
On 29/12/2017 at 8:02 PM, TheRope said:

received_896753863822742.jpeg

So to follow up on this post and to document the process, the tissue got worse. So now ive cracked off the bad sections, notice how i said cracked. When trimming corals we must try to emulate something knocking them and a piece falling off (allows for a quick easy heal) as opposed to a crush with bone cutters. So heres the clean "breaks" 

Sps is funny in the way that if you do break them like this, it changes their growth pattern, similar to trimming a plant or bonsai, you cut them one way, they start to grow the other! Cant wait to see how this one recovers. 

20180101_144102.jpg

• Like 2
On 12/27/2017 at 9:10 AM, TheRope said:

I put these guys through hell and they finally opened up yesterday, somehow they got covered in hair algae which is weird because i have close to none in my tank and im alwayssss plucking and peroxiding... but they did, so i tried scrubbing them (didnt work and i did this 3 times and it grew back each time) so i said: either theyre gonna get srowned out by hair algae or i can test something. I peroxided the actual closed polyps after scrubbing them and this is 2 days later ...

I'm glad this worked for you.

Corals that completely contract their polyps seem to handle full peroxide dips just fine.  I find that irritating them a little by changing flow rates or bobbing  them in and out of the water to cause them to completely contract, keeps them very well protected during a 5 min peroxide dip. 

• Like 2