Coral Vue Hydros

The Fools Reef ... The final 2.5 gallon long pico

TheRope

9 hours ago, vlangel said:

I love the new additions!

Well then wait for this batch of additions ;)

*changed flow and top* to increase light penetration and reduce water loss (little aorstone bubbles pop too much)

Some new coral today 2 frags of zoas and 2 frags of monti digitata (red one at the back and pink at the front) 
The pink one got slightly irritated dueing shipment due to the plug coming off and i guess rubbing on the underside of the coral, so the tissue is kinda white-ish (damaged) i really hope theyre okay, i find they will make a great addition to this jar so im praying to the coral gods right now ♡♡♡♡

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Great video tour @TheRope, I really like the xenia stalks!

Thanks a lot! (Got those for the girlfriend haha, she fell in love with xenias when i first started telling her about reefing)

• Like 2

Par 38 tuna blue is installed! Everything looks absolutely insane, my acans are blood red in color now (how theyre supposed to be) and have a look at this red digi frag and my pretty xenias pulsin away 

IMG_20171024_215157_674.jpg

IMG_20171025_123815_283.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I changed the rockscape entirely just to create more space to actually be able to clean the tank itself and place corals much easier, also i was having a slight problem in the tank as a zoa fell onto a mushroom and created some kind of chemical warfare so the last week or so has been fairly hectic haha, but everything is doing super great now and i cant waitttt to start placing the zoas on the rockwork (also theres so much space in here for more corals i dont know what to do. )

IMG_20171102_204158_619.jpg

IMG_20171102_204158_621.jpg

IMG_20171102_204158_628.jpg

IMG_20171104_081311_799.jpg

• Like 3

Finally got some pics of the pink digitata , and placed the zoas as well! 

Also i modified my bubble tube, i find it looks super sleek and creates a much better amount of flow! :)

Have a gander :

IMG_20171105_115725_399.jpg

IMG_20171105_115833_900.jpg

• Like 3

I'm so so happy:) what you have here is fine maturation documentation, forced compliance reefing from a bowl in the purest sense

I have a friend at reef 2 reef must see this/ forecasting 

Pro effort and outcome

Your zoanthids have the correct/healthy hydrodynamic profile (short squat and connected) my system won't grow them that well though zos are considered hardy

• Like 2
On 07/11/2017 at 7:17 PM, brandon429 said:

I'm so so happy:) what you have here is fine maturation documentation, forced compliance reefing from a bowl in the purest sense

I have a friend at reef 2 reef must see this/ forecasting 

Pro effort and outcome

Your zoanthids have the correct/healthy hydrodynamic profile (short squat and connected) my system won't grow them that well though zos are considered hardy

Thank you so much! The only coral that is currently acting out right now (because of change to the new tuna blue abi) is my hammer coral, hes taking time to acclimate to the light, but hopefully hell come around soon. I was doing something wrong this whole time though, i was siphoning the sand bed, which based on maritzas vase is t necessary and creates an incredible home for many beneficial creatures/bacteria, so im going to keep away from disturbing it as much as i can. Im picking up a singular blue legged dwarf hermit for a little bit of extra added algae controle and some micro brittle stars (because they interest me personally) and who knows what other coral i will spot at the lfs well see what i come home with haha

its ok to clean or not clean the bed. A neat way to trace out rinse/no rinse impacts is to see bare bottomed tanks of different sizes 

When a bed is allowed to take in waste, cyano challenges can result and we show in threads how we beat them if that happens (rinsing)

its not that you have to rinse, its that rinsing is how we cure problems so its also a preventative. I had ran my sandbed without take down rinsing for nine yrs, but it still got the weekly water changes to prevent waste incursion. As they age, a bed can become a challenge for some because we all vary in our styles... Some feeding more or less than others, types of invaders brought in ranges tank to tank....

the only reason to rinse if someone wants to is to have zero chance of invasion, it changes nothing about coral growth or health. If someone prefers hands off, no change in coral health but it's one less work job to do.

One thing that is a core detail, Maritza is dosing a digestion bacteria regularly to aid in breakdown of waste, a purchased retail doser of mixed bacteria. This can break down waste a little better where regular water changes is more likely to export less heavy mass.

are you dosing that digestion bacteria regularly as well? If not it may or may not have an impact and these systems will run however we like for quite some time agreed.

These tanks are so accessible you can even change modes anyone you want. Don't rinse for nine yrs if you get no invasions commanding otherwise. If you need to rinse, we can.

That light is such a great spectrum it's likely to help suppress cyano anyway.

No im not using the bacteria dose, but well see in due time, but i reaaaally dont feed a lot (i toned it down when i started to notice some buildup on my glass)  maybe just a couple of spot fed pellets to my lps in the tank every two weeks and spot feed reefroids also every two weeks (then proceed to water change right after. 

Though i am curious about that bacteria dosing, ill be sure to look it up

a measly hour after acclimation a very rough coral dip and scrub to remove everything that was injuring this beautiful coral, and bam. Healing has begun, welcome to the fools reef.

IMG_20171111_185920_226.jpg

• Like 4

Litttttleeee update. Im currently fighting some hair algae that has been growing from my clovepolyps... and grown onto my sand bed... set up some water for waterchange for tomorrow, did a decent sifting of the sand to get rid of it the most part and fragged the cleaner cloves.. gonna do another thorough scrubbing tomorrow, and sifting then a big water change. 

This has foiled my plans for leaving my sandbed undisturbed. :(

IMG_20171113_230146_273.jpg

IMG_20171113_194916_309.jpg

IMG_20171112_140730_345.jpg

• Sad 1

So the main source of my hair algae was coming from my clovepolyps, and it was growing in their stalks... which is incredibly annoying to get off. So i cut off the ones that had it and fragged the rest. (They opened up today already, but i had to remove more) today i did a heavy water change and siphoned the sand once again (which was looking pretty clean due to yesterdays quick cleaning) but along with that i scraped all the rocks clean and the glass. I installed my reef onto a wooden spinning platform so i have easy access to monitor the algae and easy access to remove said algae. Everything looks great. Except im a bit sad i had to dismantle my papaya cloves, theyre so pretty :( but im glad its under control! Thats the point of this, to demonstrate manual control over reef maintenance! :)

Anyways heres a monti out of the water with a hermit perched in it likr a slumbering tree dweller. And a timelapse. 

IMG_20171114_235441_479.jpg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

I love the rotating aspect and being able to see it in the round.

5 hours ago, Wingy said:

Very cool.  Did you use a rotating Christmas tree stand as the base?  

Thanks guys! Actually its a wooden rotating table plate (very sturdy) for round tables, if you have many guests over people place multiple platters on it and spin it around for easy access! 

IMG_20171116_205138_839.jpg

IMG_20171116_205151_767.jpg

IMG_20171117_060820_891.jpg

IMG_20171116_205048_302.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

Very nice!  Who does not love green?

I was always worried about putting too much green in here... but it just looks too good. Corals are in :) will post pics tonight!!