SaltCritters.com

The Fools Reef ... The final 2.5 gallon long pico

TheRope

On 2/18/2018 at 7:06 PM, TheRope said:

Hmm not sure what is going on with my chat here. But anyways how do you keep the temp down? I put a small internal pump in my 2g and the temp soared pretty quickly. By the end of the day it was up to 90 degrees.

54 minutes ago, TheRope said:

Mine only fluctuated up by one degrees :o so it stayed just opened the lid a bit more :)

What temp are you running it at? I had mine at 79 with just the lights and no heater though it is sealed off so no evaporation. When I added the pump it soared to 90. I guess the sealed top is hard to use.

• Wow 1

I have a sealed top as well i also run at 79 so i went up to 80 :) the fluctuation is a bit worse. Used to be between 79.4 and 79.8 now its between 79.2 and 80.2 

20 hours ago, TheRope said:

I have a sealed top as well i also run at 79 so i went up to 80 :) the fluctuation is a bit worse. Used to be between 79.4 and 79.8 now its between 79.2 and 80.2 

Hmm doesnt make sense how many watts is the pump on that cascade? because it should add a lot of heat to a 2g tank. What is the ambient temperature of your home? maybe if its really cold it would work, but I dont see how adding an internal pump thats on I'm assuming 24/7 is only raising your temp by .4 degrees. The pump I added is only 4watts and running 24/7, it produced enough heat to raise the daily temperature in my tank by close to 10 degrees on average.

15 hours ago, ReefMagix said:

Hmm doesnt make sense how many watts is the pump on that cascade? because it should add a lot of heat to a 2g tank. What is the ambient temperature of your home? maybe if its really cold it would work, but I dont see how adding an internal pump thats on I'm assuming 24/7 is only raising your temp by .4 degrees. The pump I added is only 4watts and running 24/7, it produced enough heat to raise the daily temperature in my tank by close to 10 degrees on average.

It didnt change the temo by .4 it changed the range to 1 degree instead of .4 but im not sure in the wattage, its the cascade 170, and my ambient temp is 73

7 hours ago, TheRope said:

It didnt change the temo by .4 it changed the range to 1 degree instead of .4 but im not sure in the wattage, its the cascade 170, and my ambient temp is 73

Im not really concerned about the range. Your statement is that it raised your max temperature by only .4 degrees. "Used to be between 79.4 and 79.8 now its between 79.2 and 80.2" From a max of 79.8 to 80.2 is just .4 degrees. My pump raised my max temp 10 degrees or 25x higher than yours did lol. Also keeping my ambient temperature at 73 degrees.

1 hour ago, ReefMagix said:

Found a 2watt pump gonna see if I have any better luck with it.

The pump creates less evaporation so you can leave the lid slightly open to make it cool off

15 hours ago, TheRope said:

The pump creates less evaporation so you can leave the lid slightly open to make it cool off

Yes thats a good point mine is completely sealed so all the heat is trapped.

• Like 1

The only piece of algae you will find in my jar... and now you wont. 

Also why would someone let xenia grow onto the glass and take over the back wall? Because im lazy and i dont like cleaning the glass

20180305_213747.jpg

20180305_213524.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

Sounds like a good reason to me.   And anyway, I love xenia!

Its gonna look so cool too an entire back wall of pulsing fluff

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Odd thing about all this is, i feel like downgrading to a single gallon or maybe even less. Only thing stoppig me from doing that is that I just cant figure out how to place a heater in one of them without it looking absolutely obnoxious also i kinda wanna see how this mixed reef turns out in a couple of years. Next time i make a reef itll probably be one or 2 types of coral maximum

• Like 1
HarryPotter
Just now, TheRope said:

Odd thing about all this is, i feel like downgrading to a single gallon or maybe even less. Only thing stoppig me from doing that is that I just cant figure out how to place a heater in one of them without it looking absolutely obnoxious also i kinda wanna see how this mixed reef turns out in a couple of years. Next time i make a reef itll probably be one or 2 types of coral maximum

Heating mat under the tank, with the minuscule probe in the water :) 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, TheRope said:

If your house isn't real cold then you can get away without any heater.  My jar does not have one.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, vlangel said:

If your house isn't real cold then you can get away without any heater.  My jar does not have one.

Im in canada it gets deadddd cold here! Also summers are hot se we have a.c which also makes it dead cold XD

4 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Heating mat under the tank, with the minuscule probe in the water :) 

That sounds interesting, but the probe/thermostat will probably cost me my kidney... XD